Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Detroit questions

AlliedLS ยท 2016-01-23 14:09

Looking at an older single axle, f700 with a Detroit 8.2 diesel and a 5+2 rear end. I dont know a whole lot about Detroit diesels so what should I be looking for? Any pros/cons about this engine would be appreciated too. For what it's worth the gvw is 27,000 and I do have my class A. We would mainly be using it for concrete work amd pulling our skid steer around.

Replies7
  1. #1gtermini2016-01-23 15:55

    My experience has been that they are absolute turds. No power and have constant issues. We had one in a late 80s GMC 6500 with a fuller 10 behind it and you could hardly shift the thing the rpms dropped so fast. It would overheat if you pulled any kind of hill. They are not a screaming jimmy 2 stroke btw. Greyson

  2. #2jaluhn2016-01-23 16:32

    No personal knowledge, but everything I have heard is they are not a good engine even in lighter medium duty trucks. Ford 6.6/7.8 would be a better option from what I hear, though the 6.6 is low in power. 8.3 Cummins or DT466 seem to be the best reputed options.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2016-01-23 17:06

    15 years ago it was hard to find anybody who knew how to work on them and I am surprised there are still any running. They have little in common with a 2 cycle. They are pretty much orphans at this point.

  4. #4RZucker2016-01-23 17:25

    I've had three 8.2L Detriots in service trucks, Decent engine... If you aren't expecting to pull a lowboy. Up to 24k gross they seem to work fine. Past that, not worth it.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2016-01-23 22:41

    When was the last time you had to have one repaired or worse, have the rack set? When the head gaskets blow that is a necessity and the special tool has not been made for years and years....

  6. #6RZucker2016-01-24 00:16

    Actually, I haven't owned one for almost 15 years. forgot how long it's been. and the dial indicator tool for setting injector timing usually wasn't the problem, it was trying to find the timing sticker on the rocker cover if it hadn't been washed off. I do know of a few still working though.

  7. #7Old Doug2016-01-24 09:48

    A friend had 2 ford with the 8.2 Detroit they were just 5 speeds i think they had been city delivery were they would have been great. He sold one to a guy i worked for so i was around it and drove it some. It had good power for what it was and the only engine problem it had was some thing about the pushrods or rockerarms. It would set for months between needing it then i think a pushrod would come out from under the rocker arm when it was started. It was a easy fix with a prybar. The truck didnt have powersteering and it was the hardest thing i ever drove. The company that got it new keeped all the records with the trucks and both of them had their steering boxes rebuilt more than one time in less than 100.000 miles.