Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deutz 912 injection pump-gear installation

towbar · 2024-01-25 13:12

The guidance is a bit ambiguous so I'll shamelessly seek confirmation that what I'm doing is the right way ...IF it is the right way of course. Either way anyone googling for the info in the future should find it. I got stuck when I got to mounting the pump gear. This diagram is very poor quality and so are the lyrics coming with it in four languages. 20. Mount gear oriented towards Woodruff key and while doing this bring bolts in central position of oblong holes. Start bolts. 21. Schematic of gear marks relative to Woodruff key. I did the thing probably OK but with all the money riding on it I f=gotta be sure. The blurb SHOULD have said: In the image - the keyway is at 12 o'clock on the drive stud - the 2-dot punchmark is at 10 o'clock - the 1-dot punchmark is at 8 o'clock Otherwise the build id coming along nicely

Replies9
  1. #156wrench2024-01-26 09:10

    Looks like you got right from what i can see

  2. #2thepumpguysc2024-01-26 10:21

    Deutz calls #6, #1.. U can take off the inj pump side cover to verify what cyl ur on..

  3. #3towbar2024-01-26 23:14

    Is that in the manual somewhere? I'll be coming up to the actual drip-timing sometime later and I think at that time I will have to look inside the pump but this step here is about basic installation.

  4. #4Delmer2024-01-27 00:32

    yes, the deutz manual should be available online easy enough if you can follow the four languages part. #1 is the flywheel end, #6 is the timing gear and belt end. That will be covered by the cam gear and injection pump gear timing marks, but you'll want the right one if you spill time it.

  5. #5towbar2024-01-27 15:20

    I have the manual but the drawing identifying the initial pump gear install is ******. That's why I asked. Yes, I do intend to drip time it, found that too about 12 pages beginning with this one

  6. #6Joe H2024-01-27 15:40

    First engine I ever overhauled had a line drawing and some British verbage to set the distributor drive. Make sure the offset dog is in the 20 to 2 position. I had no ***** idea what they were talking about, the drawing was of no help as I had no clue what the "offset dog" was. Got it 180 out but managed to get it running eventually. Learned a lot, 1959 Austin Healey 100-6. Nice car with some mysterious bits. The Laycock de Normanville was another learning experience. 54 years ago & I still remember that 20 to 2 ********. Joe H

  7. #7thepumpguysc2024-01-27 15:44

    As long as the engine is at TDC on #1 cyl and the pump is on #1 cyl.. there’s nothing to worry about.. Just remove the valve cover to determine what stroke ur on.. & do the same for the pump. (Side cover) U can time it on ANY cylinder as long as the piston(valves) and pump match..

  8. #8towbar2024-01-27 17:43

    I know this could hurt '63 3000-Mk-II triple su's. I bought it because my girlfriend's mother ALWAYS had to come with us everywhere. THIS put an end to THAT. *** was 20-2, like 8 o'clock and noon, don't remember that.

  9. #9Joe H2024-01-27 19:37

    Loved that car, my ahole brother took it to Mexico & broke an axle and left it there. Joe H