Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deutz D2.9 L4

barnbuilder · 2021-05-17 17:46

The waterpump started leaking on the JLG 3394. I drained the "coolant" in a bucket. Had the smell of coolant but was black. I had to remove all the accessories from engine to get the waterpump off. The pump was hard to turn by hand. So since I purchased used I have no idea if someone just added water for coolant. Could it be black from that or could it be the EGR leaking? EGR looked clean from what I can see. I just spent $900 on parts so don't want to reassemble and have another issue. Is there a way to check EGR?

Replies11
  1. #1barnbuilder2021-05-26 21:15

    So ordered a water pump from JLG in PA. It's installed just have to add coolant. I took a coolant sample to Deutz. They do have a blue coolant. So just waiting for sample results.

  2. #2funwithfuel2021-05-27 06:46

    Did you send an oil sample as well? Usually, if you have an EGR fault, you'd have lost coolant through the exhaust. Your DOC and DPF would have thrown errors for inefficiency or failure to reach temperature. I'd look hard at your oil cooler. Is that still liquid or starting to sludge up like pudding.

  3. #3barnbuilder2021-05-27 07:30

    No I did not send an oil sample out. Hour meter has 141 on it. Oil was changed at 120 hours and looks new on dipstick. O pled ehr cooler off and it was clean from what I could see. Bearings went out on waterpump hard to turn.

  4. #4barnbuilder2021-05-27 09:26

    Not sure if the hand held analyzer shows engine codes but there were none.

  5. #5funwithfuel2021-05-27 12:52

    So was it liquid or gel?

  6. #6barnbuilder2021-05-27 13:51

    Liquid

  7. #7funwithfuel2021-05-27 15:04

    The image was misleading. It looked like chunky pudding. I would have been concerned about oil cooler failure. Let's see what your analysis comes back with. Fingers crossed.

  8. #8barnbuilder2021-05-27 15:51

    That's what I was planning. Thanks for your help

  9. #9karlbradshaw2024-09-26 12:09

    Hi, I know this is an old post but I’m hoping you can help. I’m trying to remove the water pump from my TD2.9L4 Deutz. Everything is undone but it won’t come off. I know it pushes into the block on a socket but I can’t pull it out as there is another socket the other end where it pushes into the EGR. Did you have this problem? It looks like I might have to take the inlet manifold off to seperate the EGR from the water pump. Thanks in advance…

  10. #10MarshallPowerGen2024-09-26 23:49

    Been years since I've worked on one; But looking through the random lit I still have, is there a snap ring on the water pump side of the tube that is holding it on?

  11. #11barnbuilder2024-09-27 07:57

    It's been too long. Seems like there is a dowel pin from the block to waterpump. I don't think the EGR needed to be removed. Figured that out afterwards. Maybe tap on the side with a mallet to get it to break loose.