Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deutz f4l912 injection pump timing

mattyt1984 ยท 2025-11-10 12:57

Does anyone have instructions how to time? I bought the engine and has new pump installed but it's not bolted to timing gear. I know I need to find 1 TDC which is closest to flywheel. But I can't find clear direction on the injection pump part. Pump and engine model posted below.

Replies7
  1. #1Vetech632025-11-10 16:27

    The cam and crank have to be pinned also

  2. #2mattyt19842025-11-10 16:49

    That's the 1011 series engines

  3. #3Vetech632025-11-10 17:02

    Well, I have 912 cam and crank pins

  4. #4heymccall2025-11-10 17:32

    Any help in this thread? HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #5Simon C2025-11-12 23:07

    I have never seen, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have the Deutz degree wheel that you turn the engine over till one valve touches going up on power stroke on the one side of TDC. Then go past TDC and bring piston up counter- clockwise till it touches the valve again. We installed a 6mm allen key betwen rocker and valve so that piston would touch. Half way between the 2 marks on damper is True TDC. Then you have to bring engine up on compression with delivery valve spring out of pump number one and fuel spill the injection pump to the correct degrees before TDC for the unit. Little complicated, but did the exact same process on Komatsus D!55 engines to adjust pump to crank timing. Simon C

  6. #6mattyt19842025-11-13 06:59

    So I found TDC then turned engine backwards 22 degrees. I then removed the side cover of pump as soon as number one plunger started moving up I tightened the gear. Seems to run fine. I wasn't sure on the 22 degrees. Is that def. The start of injection? I didn't see it on data plate

  7. #7Simon C2025-11-13 09:34

    If you back up the engine from TDC, you will have to back up more than the start of injection, and then rotate clockwise to make up for gear train backlash. The engine Rating plate determines how many degrees before TDC that commencement of injection is by the spill method. The rating plate is below the starter in the picture I have of the operations manual. Simon C