I hope I'm not breaking any rules here. I have been on the fence about buying a cordless grease gun for a while due to the high prices. Today I got a hankering to look into it again and found the Dewalt Model # DCGG571M1 advertised at the home improvement stores for $199. This is the 20V Lithium Ion Battery set with one battery. It claims the battery will last through 16 tubes of grease so there is little to no chance of it going dead before I have everything greased. Neither of the home improvement stores had local stock. I checked at Tractor Supply and they had the same model listed for $219 and had it in stock. I happened to have a 10% off entire order coupon from them so worst case was it would cost the same. I printed the Lowes page and took it with me and they matched the $199 and gave me the 10% off on top of that. Waiting for the battery to charge now. Can't wait to give this thing a go.
I like me a lot. Never has died on me while using it. It is easier to over-grease with a power grease gun. The noise makes it a bit harder to tell when the grease is "popping" as you grease. I like to see it come out. The first time I used mine, I used a whole tube of grease, on something that usually takes about a 1/2 tube. I'm a firm believer that grease is cheap, compared to not using it enough or often enough. I have other Dewalt tools, so the extra battery(5ah) was nice to add to my collection.
I have to say I am less excited about owning it than I was about getting it. I am hoping some of my misgivings will go away as I adjust to using it. The coupler did not seal on a few of my fittings. I tried my regular grease gun on those and only had it leak some on one but the rest worked fine. It firmly snaps on and off the fittings. I had to use pliers to get it off a couple. I could not get the knurled end to come loose so I could adjust the spring tension on the jaws. Like doghead I ran through the first tube of grease pretty fast. I learned a lesson on that. If you operate the gun much after it's empty it will suck the wall in on the tube and make it very difficult to withdraw the piston. It has a distinct change in sound when the grease runs out so I will be careful to change the tube as soon as it stops pumping. I have one fitting that has always been difficult and I'm not sure I ever got an appreciable amount of grease into it. It is on the bottom pivot of the boom and I worry about it seizing up. The Dewalt sealed on that one but pumped up and sprung the pressure relief on the gun. That is no fault of the gun but I had hopes the advertised 10,000 psi would finally overcome that problem. I would have to see that claim verified on a pressure gauge to believe it. One of the first things I did to this machine when I got it a couple of years back was to replace ALL the grease fittings and add protective covers.
I love my dewalt grease gun. as for grease I normally grease all my equipment once a week
I too have good things to say about this gun. I think I paid more than you did but was tired of hand squeezing. It does eat grease tubes! Had a couple of air lock issues. Now on a refill, the tube is threaded a turn or so before releasing the spring pressure, then complete tightening the barrel. Has not locked since. Did have the folded up paper tube you mentioned. Wasn't a fan of that either but overall, very pleased with the gun. Getting ready to have it checked over (probably just over a year old) as it came in a (cheap) plastic case and has a light grade oil puddle under the gun every time I go to use it. Also, not a huge fan of the coupler. Wish I knew if the coupler advertised on this forum would fit the zerks in the odd places where they are located on the machine. Nuff rambling. All have a great Thanksgiving.
dewalt with a lock n lube fitting is the way togo
Of course when I visit the forum now the ad tracker pops up an ad for the lock n lube.
I use mine daily. I'd say I average 4-5 cases of grease a week. Lock-n-lube coupler as well. Like was mentioned above, crack the tube loose then pull or slide in plunger just before you snug it up. I've never collapsed a tube. The minute the motor changes RPM I stop and swap tubes and it picks up right where I left off. Of the 100's of zerks I see daily only about 5-10 need a standard fitting for access. Since I got the Dewalt just about every operator has one now. It does make my life easier
I have the Loc-n-Lube on one of my guns and I'm not all that crazy about it. It won't work on a few places on my hoe. I much prefer the narrow style coupler on my Alemite gun. I am going to swap it over to the Dewalt and give it a try before ordering a spare Alemite coupler.
Has anyone came across a quick coupler that would allow a second grease hose? One could have the lock-n-lube and the other would have a smaller coupler. Would like to try this but not sure what kind of quick connect.
yes, just a whip hose with a male grease fitting
i pretty much made my lock n lube work for all my fittings on my equipment. I just had to put different fittings on.
lock n lube wouldn't fit in some of the pins for our mini so I just took a regular long coupler and threaded a nipple into it, when I need it just pop it into the lock n lube and good to go
I usually keep the 90degree adapter in the gun where the hose would usually store that way I just clip the lock n lube on it to keep it from dangling. yeah... I know it's not a black n yellow grease gun
great choice on grease
I love my DeWalt grease gun. I have trouble with all brands of tips and always have some spares in the toolbox. The only issue I had is the screen getting plugged. I use a high moly Gadus grease and after a few cases I had trouble getting it to prime. I'm very fussy when it comes to cleanliness during cartridge changes so I just cut out the screen. It now works perfectly. I know a couple other people that have done the same.
I just ordered a lock n lube end. I have a couple of fittings I always have issues with (i'm sure there is a reason). Thanks
if you cut the screen out it primes better?
I just purchased a lock n lube on EBay for $8.63 shipping included.
Look at that sellers feedback. It looks like they are a scammer.
I apparently don't see what you do as I have a couple of ideas to try. Thanks for the input.
I'm not worried. If he is PayPal will will cover it. I have had very good luck with scammers and PayPal getting my payment back.
Ronsii in post #14 showed a male coupler threaded into a standard female grease coupler. And the lock n lube coupler locked onto it. That gives you both options, what more do you want? Two hoses would work, if you could find the 1/8" valves rated to 10,000psi, or one three way valve.
Yes. I didn't have much trouble with regular grease but this stuff is thicker and full of moly. The screen becomes plugged after time and I got sick of cleaning it. Primes like a champ now unless my gun and tubes are cold (0*F). Be prepared for a bit of a challenge as they used some pretty tough materials for the screen. I cut the screen and kept the outer sealing ring.
Delmer, I was commenting on dogheads concern about scammers. I didn't make that clear at all. I totally get (and appreciate) the pictures of couplers and zerks. Sorry for the confusion.
I ordered some 5% moly grease so I will see if this becomes a problem for me. If it does I now know how to cure it.
You were right Doghead ! Ebay sent me an email that the sellers account was hacked. Paypal cancelled my payment.
I got the Milwaukee a few years ago and like it. It uses the same M18 batteries that their other cordless tools use so you can grab the battery off the drill if you need to. I don't recall seeing the Dewalt at the time but it looks like a good tool.
Looks like TS is having a black Friday sale on this for 179. That is what I paid with price match and coupon.
Well, I have used it a few times now. I'm quite impressed with how well it works.
its a great investment I love their swivel fitting too