Hey everyone, I'm trying to learn more about CAN protocols , datalinks/adapters. Any input on building a cable adapter? I've read a little about some datalinks and cables have chips in them to communicate what speed to use. When I work on a machine I don't have the adapter for, or time to order a cable, can I just connect can hi/lo and batt+/- ? I've seen j1939 breakout boxes but don't know much about them. Any input or resources would be appreciated. Thanks
MHH Auto has the resources you are looking for. Im new to it as well and have learned alot on that forum. If you looking for something specific let me know I may be able to help.
Thanks, I'm not looking so much where to find cables as much as I am wanting to know about building them in case I'm in a pinch.
It all depends on what you're working on and what parts you need to communicate with. Lot's of different configurations depending on brand, type of equipment, protocol, date of manufacture, etc. There's definitely no one size fits all.
We use jaltest a lot. All connections are given with both a cable number, as well as a pinout. Connect can Hi and low at diag plug, battery can come from anywhere