Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Diagnostic Laptop Communication Cables

dieseldog5.9 · 2025-06-01 09:38

I inherited a tough book with multiple programs on it: Nexiq Service Max Cummins Insite J-Pro Cat ET But the only communication cord I have is for Cat. Is there one universal cord that I can purchase or do I need multiple cords to use different programs or hook up to different trucks or equipment? I have no information on where this origionaly came from, if there was a likely supplier I would reach out to them. I think this is mostly on highway truck stuff with the Cat and Cummins could possibly be used for off highway. Our fleet is mostly Cat Equipment, With some pre emissions Mack Trucks. Seems there is alot of tool here that would work on newer trucks with the right cords. We do have a need to hook up to the couple Deere machines 350 excavator and 644 loader if anything on here would do that.

Replies6
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2025-06-01 11:09

    It's setup for a Nexiq USBLink if it has the software/drivers installed. There are real ones and China knock offs, they use a different firmware version and the knock off will have a pile of different adapters included.

  2. #2dieseldog5.92025-06-02 07:25

    I am assuming the Jpro is the newer general diagnostic software, does that use its own communication adapter to the truck?

  3. #3mekanik2025-06-02 12:24

    I use j-Pro and Cummins Insite and several of Navistar's diagnostic programs. We have a variety of communication adaptors and they all work with all the adaptors.

  4. #4Junkyard2025-06-02 14:30

    According to the salesman the Jpro adapter works with theirs and everything else. He does claim the other adapters don’t work with their programs. That doesn’t make total sense to me, if it’s good one way, why not the other. I’ve demo’d Jpro and liked it. Way faster than Jaltest.

  5. #5AristoTruckTech2025-06-11 14:33

    shoot me a PM i can get you setup with any programs you need and help out with any questions you have.

  6. #6tool_king2025-06-11 20:40

    It is just like the Dearborn software. There adapter will work with other software's . But other adapter will not work with their software.