I am looking to purchase a diagnostis tool for earthmoving equipement. Something that will be able to access fault codes and also be able to run system tests. I know of the system specific units like the cummins insite and cat ET would like to know if anyone uses a good aftermarket generic unit. Is there any diagnostic tools that will access many different systems ie cummins, cat, volvo, scania. Or is it better to just purchase oem style system specific? I would appreciate only information from those who currently use the system they are passing information on not the internet warriors who slander and make useless comments on products they have not experience with. Cheers.
I know our truck shop uses PRO Link for cat and cummins engines. This will not connect to machine's though.
So far all the equipment manufacturers have put together proprietary connections and software for their products. There are no requirements for and OBD type of system to work across manufacturers. On the good side though, manufacturers are now putting the capability to access diagnostics in the machines requiring less need for the wiring, connectors, laptops and the fancy software.
If you do any work on newer Cat equipment then Cat ET with a Comm3 is a must. If it is cost effective to buy it, or pay the dealer to do it, that's for you to evaluate.