Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Diagnostics

mmstock ยท 2024-04-04 12:42

I have a CAT 950 with a 3304 engine. The oil has coolant in it, very milky. My breather on the valve cover has steam coming from it. I dropped the pan, oil pump and plate. Pressurized the coolant system to 10psi from the top of the radiator. Currently I can only detect one leak. It is dripping from in between the block and the timing cover below the water pump. So my questions are: Is this the proper way to pressurize the coolant system to determine if my liners are leaking? Because at the moment they are not. How much gas/fumes should be coming from the breather under normal condition? What I have now seems excessive but I never really paid attention until it started to show with steam. Thanks everyone, God bless

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2024-04-04 14:26

    It is. Your problem is that pressure is being lost between the block/timing cover and not giving anything else a chance to leak. 10psi should be fine for cooling system leak checking. Did you remove the oil pan so that you can look up at the bottom side of the liners to check for leaks.?

  2. #2mmstock2024-04-04 14:41

    Correct. That is why I removed the pan and plate.

  3. #3Nige2024-04-04 14:44

    Apologies, missed that in your OP. Need to get better glasses...... In that case it's likely that the coolant is leaking at the point of least resistance. Unfortunately that means in order to move forward with testing you have to fix that leak first.

  4. #4Nige2024-04-04 20:06

    Any sign at all of oil in the top of the radiator.?