Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Diesel blows cylinder through the roof!

DarrylMueller ยท 2010-05-02 18:18

A friend of mine sent this to me. Just think cylinder also went through the steel engine cover to! This is Canadian National locomotive number 2699. It is a 212-ton machine powered by a 183-liter, 4400 hp V16, 4-stroke diesel Shortly before this picture was taken, whilst working under load, 2699 experienced what is known in the trade as a catastrophic uncontained engine failure. The train was passing the town of Independence, LA at the time. The first picture below shows that one of the 16 cylinder packs that form the engine was ejected through the engine bay body side and thrown clear of the locomotive. In addition to this the piston from that cylinder was thrown free by the force of the failure. It was ejected so violently that it traveled through the air and crashed through the roof of a nearby home where it imbedded itself in an interior wall.

Replies13
  1. #1bpogue2010-05-02 18:37

    All I can say is wow. And I'm sure glad nobody got hurt.

  2. #2willie592010-05-02 20:01

    Wow, I've seen rods go through a block, but holy moly! I'll have a new life long perspective every time I see a locomotive pass by. Allow plenty of throwing distance.

  3. #3DPete2010-05-02 20:13

    Wonder if that made a noise

  4. #4jbanderson2010-05-02 22:01

    glad im not close to any rail road tracks!!! DAMN!!

  5. #5sandnsnow2010-05-02 23:01

    I wonder how far the house was away from the train? That is some Crazy **** for sure!

  6. #6alrman2010-05-02 23:13

    Without the pictures - you would not believe the story - amazing!

  7. #7eRay2010-05-03 10:13

    Had the same thing happen to me once. Was on an empty coal train going down a mountain in dynamic braking when I heard an explosion. Looked back and one of the cylinders was laying on the walkway. It had blown the door open and landed on the walkway and caught the locomotive on fire. It was a small fire and easily put out with a fire exinguisher. Whole thing was a little scary though. I never was completely at ease walking along the walkway of a locomotive after that.

  8. #8AtlasRob2010-05-03 10:19

    Sweet mother of................ I have never seen anything like that before. Puts a completely different perspective to the expression of its thrown a rod

  9. #9Cat4202010-05-03 11:10

    I had a lawnmower engine do something similar. Of course it just may have had the piston set to mid stroke and packed with black powder. Someone may have also lit a fuse poked down through the head as well

  10. #10watglen2010-05-07 07:34

    Those old briggs and strattons were never worth a damn! hahahahaha

  11. #11Burnout2010-05-07 12:57

    Think you could find out where that house is? And do you think they would give me that piston? I think that makes great decoration...lol

  12. #12bobcatmechanic2010-05-07 18:42

    i think it was dirty jobs did a special on the mechanics and they were tearing down a motor and said it take something like 100 or 200 hrs of work to take apart and put back together

  13. #13stinkycat2010-05-24 23:16

    The head bolts on some locomotive engines are designed to allow the cylinder head to lift to relieve over pressure, it looks like that cylinder had a lot pressure