Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Diesel engine block heaters

digger242j ยท 2007-03-14 02:21

I'm just thinking about next winter already... If you have a block heater, and leave it plugged in all the time, the engine will usually crank right over like it's summertime. Does anyone have a feel for how long it takes to warm an engine up once you let it get cold before you plug it in? (I know there's not going to be an exact answer, but just in general--does it take an hour, or a day, or something in between?)

Replies12
  1. #1Ford LT-90002007-03-14 02:45

    You don't have to leave the block heater on all night unless its extremely cold you can put it on a timer so it come on couple hours before you get into the truck or machine etc. As for the length of time for it to heat up depends on how big the cooling system is and how many BTUs the block heater puts out. Keeping a engine on a block heater 24/7 really isn't good for the engine they become addicted to it like ether. We have a generator at work that has spent most of its life on a block heater. We unplug it in the summer time to ease the heat in the room the generator is in. The engine sure doesn't like to start when its cold even in the summer. A block heater helps when you got temperatures cold enough that it makes the engine oil in the pan like mollasis. On a pickup truck or a truck it sure makes it nice to get in a warm cab and go. Keep in mind the rest of the truck is still stone cold like your transmission and diffs. Another consideration a block heater can suck up allot of juice you might get a shock when the electric bill comes and its holy crap

  2. #2Countryboy2007-03-14 02:54

    I'll add a quick question that goes along with this. What temperature on average do most block heaters keep the engine?

  3. #3Squizzy246B2007-03-14 08:29

    What...you "Plug it in" ??? I tell people its the computer download plug

  4. #4PSDF3502007-03-14 09:06

    I have read alot of question like this all over the web. Alot like me dont plug in. Then there are some that plug in all night in the winter, still others all year. Then there are those that use a timer. They set timmer 3-4 hours before leaving. I dont know what temp it gets to. But I did notice truck always started quick, warmed faster. Also helped keep winshield mostly clean of snow and ice. Probablly liked that more than anything. If I were to plug in again it would be on timmer because $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

  5. #506bowtie_guy2007-03-14 13:05

    Well on my d-max during the winter I have it on a timer. Set for about 2:00AM. I leave for work @ 5 AM. Works A-OK for me. Some times it's real cold at that time so it helps let the engine warm up faster. On another note because the truck has so many sensors the cord has a t-stat in it so that it only works below -7*C. Above that the coolent temp is too high compared to some other sensors so it set's a code and sends the tranny into safe mode.

  6. #6MSC2007-03-14 18:54

    I agree with PSDF350 on this one for a couple of reasons. First, if you plug your truck in at night, it is warm when you get in it. But when you work on a site for 10-12 hours in the really cold weather it may be a little tough to get going because like Ford LT9000 said, they tend to become dependent on it to run. And it does use up some juice to keep them warm which translates into more money to spend. I have a 97 Dodge Ram with a Cummins and it has never been plugged in since new. Starts every day whether its 20 below or not. Rich:usa

  7. #7Dozerboy2007-03-14 22:37

    There is not one answer it verys from machine to machine. When I lived in NE we plowed with our International dumps trucks. All of them the same setups some would start after being plugged in for a few hrs other would have to be plugged in all night.

  8. #8Jeff D.2007-03-15 00:53

    On the semi's I've had I usually plug it in below about 25F. From 25F-10F I'll have it on the timer for about 4-5hrs. 10F to -5F on the timer for 8hrs. Below -5 it's on continuously from when I arrive home till I leave the next morning. I've tried just doing the 8hr thing when it's below -5F, but it's still real stiff in the morning. If it's on continous it seems to keep more of the heat it had from when it was running last. In the really cold months it seems to increase my electric bill by about $60. The block heater is 1500watts. I have had to replace many timers because they can't seem to hold up to that much juice very well. The contact's internally get burnt up. I go through about one heavy duty timer/winter. On my Bobcat, if I think I might be plowing snow when I get home I'll stick a magnetic heater onto the side of the block before I leave for the day. I've also used those magnetic heaters on hydraulic tanks to help flow when it's really cold. My Ford dumptruck with the 3208 never needed to be plugged in. It always popped right off even when it was really cold. They might not be that great an engine, but that sure impressed me.

  9. #9PSDF3502007-03-15 08:01

    Would never had thought that. All the cats I been around dont seem to like the cold.

  10. #10Jeff D.2007-03-15 11:30

    The only thing I can think of is maybe mine had a higher compresssion ratio because it was an NA, and maybe that would've helped it "pop" off.:beatsme

  11. #11Steve Frazier2007-03-15 14:55

    In answer to digger's question, there are a number of variables that will determine the length of time needed to warm an engine with the block heater. Outside temp, wind speed and engine mass all play a factor in this. Smaller diesels, as in TLBs, skid steers and such can be warmed in just a couple hours. Diesels in pickups generally are warmed in 2 to 3 hours. The large diesels in class 8 trucks can take 5 to 6 hours to warm. Colder and windier conditions will extend the warm times. The company I worked for in trucking used to have electric pods in the parking area for the trucks to be plugged into, but over the years they fell into disrepair. Their alternative was to start and run the trucks every 3 hours for 1/2 hour, they had mechanics on duty 24 hours. I had a J/D 410 with no block heater, my redneck alternative was to drape a tarp over the engine compartment and put a portable 500 watt floodlight on a milk crate shining on the oil pan. This would warm the engine enough that it would spin freely to start.

  12. #12Ford LT-90002007-03-15 19:48

    Dad does the same thing with a 500 watt flood light it works :laugh