Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Diesel fuel

Willie B · 2026-08-12 12:07

My sister used to run a fuel business. The offered a variety of diesel fuel, home heating oil, gasoline and propane delivered to customers. She said off road diesel was the same product as #2 home heating oil. My friend who should know assures me this is true. I look at labels on my local off road diesel pump It describes it as ultra low sulfer dyed diesel. It is required for all 2012 or newer off road machines. I have a 2014 Case 580 Super N backhoe/loader. It has a non DEF engine. Some emmision controls, but non DEF. I have been given 250 gallons of home heating oil, can I use it in the backhoe?

Replies25
  1. #1nova4812026-08-12 12:22

    Care for an AI answer https://www.google.com/search?q=is+...IUJAiLbP6SM08YZKdXAdTQybV7on-VV15Fdz8&csuir=1 Don't know how much you can trust an AI answer

  2. #2Coaldust2026-08-12 14:01

    All various flavors of diesel in the L48 have been ULSD for a long time, I don’t see a problem with you burning it in your machine. 250 gallons is a nice gift.

  3. #3Welder Dave2026-08-12 17:12

    You could always mix it with known good diesel.

  4. #4Mr. Wrench2026-08-12 17:28

    How old is the fuel?

  5. #5Billrog2026-08-12 20:52

    I'd use it along with an additive every tank eg Stanadyne or power service ? Furnace diesel here is a little more refined than road diesel.

  6. #6Coaldust2026-08-12 21:47

    Uncle Ted approves your post.

  7. #7Willie B2026-08-13 06:46

    It was refilled this summer. A 275 gallon tank is never emptied, but refilled from time to time in heating season, and a fill in summer.

  8. #8DDoug2026-08-13 07:56

    That's odd. Burning oil for heat doesn't need to be nearly as clean, look at the simple pump and nozzle, compared to a new common rail engine system.

  9. #9HarleyHappy2026-08-13 08:22

    It works fine, in fact, before we had off road, all the guys just running equipment in the yard, would just get filled up with home heating oil.

  10. #10Coaldust2026-08-13 09:51

    BC home heat is a different product than Vermont. More refined could possibly mean #1 vs #2 or even Jet A. BC imports fuel oil from Asia, but they also refine their own in Burnby. Sometimes, depending on market conditions, they import from Alaska and load their big, beautiful, B-Trains in Haines.

  11. #11Coaldust2026-08-13 10:07

    Canada’s regulations for heating oil sulfur limits are all over the place. I think BC is 1.1% (11,000 ppm). Their neighbors in Alaska have an exemption for 500ppm. The other thing with home heat is the specific gravity can be all over the place. You can order home heat with different API numbers depending on where you are distributing it. Same with Cetane. Jet A and traditional home heat have low cetane numbers. Or, sometimes home heat can be the same product as ULSD #1 on-highway.

  12. #12Coaldust2026-08-13 10:22

    The other thing to be cautious about: Home heat is a great way to dispose of contaminated diesel. Like when a delivery driver misfills a tank and mixes the diesel with the gasoline. The peanut butter with the chocolate. That mix gets pumped out and turned into heating oil. It can be added to the bulk tank and get diluted back to spec. Or, close to spec.

  13. #13ps66x42026-08-13 12:26

    I always thought gas mixed with HHO would make it easier to explode. So am I wrong?

  14. #14John C.2026-08-13 12:42

    In my USN days we burned JP5 which the school I had to attend said was high grade kerosine. The big problem with it was lubrication for the injectors. We had to use it because it was the fuel of choice for aircraft. We had to refuel helicopters from time to time. Is JP5 still used today? Diesels can burn most anything really but adjustments to the equipment are sometimes necessary. I have also been told that turbines can also burn most anything that will flow, but other issues affect where they operate at. Is the correct?

  15. #15Coaldust2026-08-13 13:18

    It comes down to flash point., ASTM D-93). (1) No. 1-D Diesel — 38°C (100°F). I think that’s when we switch the 1993 placard to 1886. As long as your transmix has a flashpoint minimum of 100F. Or, sometimes the off-spec transmix home heat gets blended into BLO for running asphalt plants. I think CFR 1090 talks about transmix and what’s allowed in more detail.

  16. #16Coaldust2026-08-13 13:30

    JP-5 is still used by the Navy, on-board ships. JP-5 has a much higher flash point than Jet-A. Lower cloud point than Jet-A and a different add package. DLA Energy is the only distributor.

  17. #17John C.2026-08-13 21:17

    So only one distributor for the entire navy? Bet they are cheering on the current state of the conflict. I was on a nuclear powered ship and still carried 75,000 gallons of JP5. A carrier has tanks for more than ten times that and needs to fuel up weekly when running air ops steady.

  18. #18Coaldust2026-08-13 22:11

    I’m coming from a domestic market perspective. There are distributors that can supply package quantities for testing and research purposes. I don’t know what the global market looks like. Our NATO allies can certainly supply it.

  19. #19Truck Shop2026-08-13 22:14

    uncle ted is a turd.

  20. #20Coaldust2026-08-13 23:20

    Power Service shredded that contract fairly quickly.

  21. #21John C.2026-08-13 23:53

    Does anyone in the civilian market run JP5? I would think it would be pretty expensive and no one like replacing injectors every thousand hours.

  22. #22Coaldust2026-08-14 01:27

    I just asked someone who knows. The answer is no. JP-5 is a very narrow distillate, so there is very little in a barrel of crude. It’s expensive and difficult to produce in quantity. So, it’s exclusively reserved for military purchase.

  23. #23Coaldust2026-08-24 20:33

    Saw this coming three months ago. Everyone was dragging their feet with fuel orders, for various reasons, barges were late, lighterings were hard to reserve, allocations were messed up. Now, the villages are flying their fuel in. $21.46 for RUG with the NANA discount. Cha-Ching!!

  24. #24AMBMike2026-08-24 21:30

    Good excuse to buy that new 3/4 ton diesel crew cab truck with all the goodies! After all it gets 0.0002% better fuel economy (in ideal test scenarios) than the current 1/2 ton (in real life, lead foot, late to work scenario) Joe Bob is currently driving. The fuel economy will make the truck payment! In all seriousness, that's quite a hit to the wallet...

  25. #25Coaldust2026-08-24 22:03

    It’s going to be a humanitarian crisis. They don’t drive very much, besides ATV’s and snow machines, but the heating oil will be the killer. It will be interesting to see what the diesel gets priced at.