Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Diesel Fuel Line Like Compression Ferrule Only Plastic? Source?

Birken Vogt ยท 2015-08-22 00:40

I have one of these that is leaking pretty bad and it doesn't tighten up any more. It is the fitting from the filter to the hard pipe going over to the injection pump. I have seen them used on things like old pre-1994 Ford trucks and such. Do they have a name and what is the source? In this case it is a long obsolete Onan genset engine with a Stanadyne rotary pump. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1lantraxco2015-08-22 02:45

    Deere used them forever, might try them. They call them "packing" I think. Or these: http://www.mscdirect.com/industrialtools/vibra-lok-fittings.html Vibra Lok

  2. #2kshansen2015-08-22 18:02

    Trying to remember where they were used on some Cat equipment???? I know I had a complete assortment of them that I got from cat, but as I don't work there can't just go and look at the box down in the parts room for the number. All I could find in SIS was the 1/2 inch tube size part number 4H2662. If you have a real good Cat parts guy he might be able to find the Cat number for what you need. Another source might be a Cummins dealer as they used these style fittings.

  3. #3lantraxco2015-08-22 18:28

    Maybe some of the newer fuel systems, I think I remember Cummins using them on the newer computerized engines also?

  4. #4repowerguy2015-08-22 19:27

    If you are in a pinch. you can "tighten" one up by putting a o-ring between the rubber and the nut. I have also made them from rubber fuel hose cut straight with a razor blade. Perkins also used these on their engines so you might try a Massey Ferguson dealer also.

  5. #5FSERVICE2015-08-23 22:22

    try the local cummins dealer in your area, I have got them there in the past.

  6. #6willie592015-08-23 23:13

    Lathe cut seal, any good injection pump shop would have those seals.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2015-08-24 08:39

    It sounds like your saying the NUT is striped.?..? JD, Perkins, Ford and even IH uses them.. BE SURE to take BOTH PIECES with you cuz they make different size NUTS..!!! Even Yanmar uses them..

  8. #8Birken Vogt2015-08-25 01:37

    I think the little rubber thing has gone hard or cracked. The nut is not stripped but I do not want to tighten it any harder or it will be. I think the others are right that this is a Parker Vibra-Lok and I will buy some of those as soon as I get back at this project and see what is what. Right now I want to keep it operational as it has an alternator problem and the parts to fix that will be here first.

  9. #9thepumpguysc2015-08-25 20:39

    If your gonna order the rubber, that's great.. BUT IF your in a real pinch, I've seen them fixed by cutting a piece of spare hose, cut to the correct dimensions.. Just alittle tip from your Uncle Larry..

  10. #10kshansen2015-08-26 09:11

    Well some times you have to do what you have to do to get a machine back in service. Recall one time I was sent to a plant to check out why the engine in the Euclid haul truck would not run. 12V-71 Detroit. Could tell there was some problem in the governor, linkage did not seem to be connected to anything inside. Removed top of governor to find the arm had fallen off the shaft and down into the governor. How it managed to NOT get caught by the flyweights and grenade the front off the front blower is beyond me. Managed to fish the arm out with a magnet. Now just needed to reattach it. Scrounging around in their shop for a pin to replace the broken one found a 16d nail that was a perfect fit. I know it probably should be a hardened pin but as this truck was due to be brought to the main shop for engine overhaul in a month or so figured it would last that long, and it did!