Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Differance between D85 “A” and “E” -18

lazylj8 ยท 2009-11-23 00:14

Whats the differance between the Komatsu D85A-18 and D85E-18 Cheers

Replies5
  1. #1willd8r2009-11-23 03:19

    The E normally means extended track frame & 1 extra roller The 18 is the model

  2. #2lazylj82009-11-23 04:00

    Thanks for that, So does this mean that the E's are a better dozer given they would have a lower ground pressure. Also, are the D85 18's a good machine in general, I'm looking at purchasing one for my property for mainly clearing, stickraking and blade plowing and also dam building. Alot of the terrian in undulating to steep. My other option is a D65E-8.

  3. #3Burnout2009-11-23 20:24

    The company I work for has quite a few D85E's still kickin, a few with over 30k hrs. They are great dozers, always start, dirt simple to run and work on and lots of power. If you get one and find you need a little more pushing power I have a secret for you. Go find some mud, get the undercarriage all full of mud and then try again. For some reason our 85's will hunker down and push right anything as long as the U/C is full of mud.

  4. #4steelman2009-11-24 18:41

    The D85A-18 has 12 track rollers. The D85E-18 has 14 and the D85P-18, which is the low ground pressure machine has 16 rollers.

  5. #5willd8r2009-11-24 23:27

    I worked with a D85-18e when they were new I think they were first with the 855 cummins engine big improvement over the smaller engine went well,ran a bit hot therefore hoses ,o rings went hard and leaked bit hard on fuel compared with Cat like all older machines nothing complicated had good final drives compared to Cat D6/d7 I am great fan of Caterpillar