Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Differences between Hitachi 120-2/120-3/120-5

1toomanyhobbies ยท 2012-08-29 17:46

I may have work in the future for an excavator this size and began looking around. In researching it seems I can find ex 120-2's in the mid $20k range. I imagine the -3 and -5 are stronger and smoother but I am wondering if anyone can give their impressions of the difference between the two. If I could find a -3 with same hours/condition for 5k more would it be worth it to get the -3? Just would like to hear people's inputs.

Replies2
  1. #1rgl7262012-08-29 18:54

    the -2 and -3 are basicaly the same. the only difference is the pilot pump. for the -3 the oil suction hose is direct from the tank while the -2 is integrated from the main pump. main internal pump parts is the same (e.g barrel, piston shoe, valve plate)

  2. #21toomanyhobbies2012-08-30 23:54

    Thanks rgl. It sounds like there isn't really any advantage of buying a -3 over a -2. Another question. how much would it cost to have auxiliary hydraulics installed for a thumb? Is it around 2k or so?