Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Different methods.

Scrub Puller ยท 2013-01-18 17:27

Yair . . . The highway up-grade continues and it seems the contractor is employing new (to me) methods . . . and it seems to be pretty effective. In effect they are placing the final six inches or so of conditioned road-base with a Volvo machine that I would normally associate with asphalt. The material is stock-piled and fed up a conveyor with watersprays into a fleet of trucks (some are Cat) that have "live floor" bodies for want of a better word . . . in effect the floor of the body is a hydraulic driven conveyor maybe five feet wide, the sides are tapered pretty sharp. Trucks back up to screeding machine and (as far as I can see) get pushed along with the belt feeding into the hopper. . . and thats it, the machine screeds it of and they go in with a smooth drum roller and broom it of for sealing, no need for any blade. Any one know about this method or have any comments? As you know, I am out of the game and this may be old hat but it was interesting to me. Cheers.

Replies4
  1. #1bigshow2013-01-18 19:04

    We have placed miles of O.G.S. with asphalt pavers. It's harder on the paver but it is very effective. O.G.S. is a concrete equivalent of permeable base asphalt and is used under concrete paved roads to aid in drainage.

  2. #2terrasmooth2013-01-18 20:18

    Hello Scrub Puller, This method has been around for awhile. Running dry aggregates through a paving machine does save money by not having a blade handle the materials. the downside of it is; that without the oils in the material, it does not lubricate the pavers augers... very abrasive. some companies are now placing, grading and compacting the aggregates with the normal spread and leaving it .05 to a tenth high. They they bring in a GPS or Robotic controlled trimmer to make the final grade. The examples I have seen are on larger jobs that have 'white paving' aka PCCP ... tolerances are very tight on these jobs.

  3. #3stock2013-01-18 23:53

    I worked on projects where the sub base was crushed limestone compacted and covered with CBM cement bound material to a depth of 12" which was placed with pavers or Blaw Knox as they are called here.

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2013-01-20 17:32

    Stock That is a new one to me. I have never seen an ADT dumping into a paver before. I have seen them haul cement treated base before. it is usually dumped into a material placer like Gomaco makes, with a belt feeding either a paver, or laying it in front of a trimmer.