Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Digging in sand

Welder Dave · 2025-07-05 01:21

If you have a large field covered with sand at least 3' deep and you dig down a couple feet will the hole fill with water or will the sand absorb it pretty fast? The sand could be down 5' or more.

Replies3
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-07-05 05:54

    Without doing a perk test, it’s a good bet it will disappear quickly.

  2. #2JaredV2025-07-05 12:39

    Depends on the groundwater. If it's high the hole will fill quick, if it's low it'll drain quick. Whichever it does it probably won't take long.

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-07-06 01:55

    I think I'll dig a test hole. I'm building a new MX track and was thinking about digging into the sand. There is a valley that is lower at the back of property. That's why I thought I might be able to dig into the higher parts. I could dig quite a bit wider than the track and basically dig ditches on either side for water to drain faster.