Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

dipstick in cab?

johneym mcfadden ยท 2022-09-03 16:02

Hello folks I've been trying to find out 1 or 2 things for a long time now but cannot. Maybe someone here can help me. I have recently bought an old Kubota mini excavator, 3 tonne, KH 60. It has a small dipstick down in front of and to the right of the drivers seat. This dipstick is now dry. I have no idea what it's for. Also, I have been looking for a manual for this but cannot find 1. I have found every other model, except the one I want. Even if I knew which this machine were similar too, another manual might do. For some parts it might suggest the kh50,kh70 and kh90 may be similar but I cannot find a manual for these either. Many Thanks, John

Replies17
  1. #1Phantom9702022-09-03 22:31

    Iam guessing the slew motor? you may have to dip it 2/3 times to let any air locks out of the tube

  2. #2CM19952022-09-03 23:32

    That would be my guess as well. Our Gradall 534D6 has the engine oil dipstick in the cab but the little Cummins is right on the other side.

  3. #3uffex2022-09-04 04:47

    Good day It appears to be grease ube for the swing final drive. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4johneym mcfadden2022-09-06 12:07

    gentlemen, thanks for the replies. I am leaning toward a slew motor as well solely because I cannot see how a dipstick could be used for oil? Does anyone know which oil should this take? Thanks again.

  5. #5johneym mcfadden2022-09-06 14:38

    sorry, meant to say, I cannot see how a dipstick can be used for grease?

  6. #6uffex2022-09-06 16:11

    Good day It may help if you post a photo, I have had a search cannot find an illustration. Kind regards Uffex

  7. #7DDoug2022-09-06 16:30

    Sounds like whatever it is, it will get lubed with shoe dirt..... Bad design.

  8. #8johneym mcfadden2022-09-07 01:01
  9. #9johneym mcfadden2022-09-07 01:34

    hi lads. Image uploaded as requested. the dipstick is visible near the white glove on the floor.

  10. #10uffex2022-09-07 04:46

    Good day Thanks for the photo, it is not so easy to find information about this particular model, s there any evidence of the lube it is supposed to check? Kind regards Uffex

  11. #11Vetech632022-09-07 08:01

    Sometimes the dipstick in the cab is the one driving

  12. #12johneym mcfadden2022-09-07 09:19

    Thanks Uffex, that's my problem as I cannot find paperwork for this model anywhere. Regarding evidence of lube, I haven't found any but then again I don't yet know where to look. The hole is so small only oil would fit down there anyway. I need to learn about the machine as I have never owned an excavator before.

  13. #13johneym mcfadden2022-09-07 09:19

    you may be right at that

  14. #14John V2023-09-07 21:50

    I have a kubota Kh-70, it has the same layout. It is a dipstick for the swing gear case. It takes 1.3 liters of 80w-90 gear oil, api gl-4 and gl-5 are acceptable. There is a fill plug on the swing gear case, or I just top it up through the dipstick. I have a paper edition of the original workshop manual which covers the KH 50,60,70, and 90. If you have any questions feel free to ping me.

  15. #15Harry3212024-07-25 17:31

    Hi John V, do you have a manual for the KH90, in particular I am looking for information on the hydraulic flow of oil from tank right through to final drive ?

  16. #16CM19952024-07-25 18:22

    Welcome to the Forums Harry! Glad to have you!

  17. #17Harry3212024-07-27 12:05

    Anyone any thoughts on my query?