I’m trying to replace the bearings in the pivot on the clutch lever on my 72 d4d cat. The lever is held onto a steel post on the left side of the tranny by a washer and a cotter pin. The problem is that you can’t slide it over far enough to remove it before it hits the dozers frame/body structure. Does anyone have any idea if that post is pressed into the trans or if it’s threaded into it and can be removed?
Here is a few pics of the part/area in question.
They're usually pressed in. Can you gas-axe a neat hole in the upright plate section of the frame, that will allow the lever to come off?
I thought of that, but the upper handle portion also makes contact. So it would probably come off since it’s real sloppy presently and could be angled to the side somewhat, but it would have to go one straight once a new bearing/bushing was installed.
I've had mine off my D4 7U before...I think service manual advises to pry or drive it into the trans housing. Is there a small hole in the frame there to get a punch in to drive it in?
Don, the D4D has a separate chassis frame that supports the engine transmission and radiator, unlike the unit construction of the D4 7U.
New and improved...