Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Directional drilling

Wtcraig · 2024-11-20 16:51

I’ve been in the industry for a few years now and looking to venture out on my own venture but need a better understanding of pricing/quoting. Mainly with how pricing changes when you come into contact with rock, having to preream and having to pull multiple pipes at once.

Replies2
  1. #1CM19952024-11-20 20:11

    Welcome to the Forums Wt! Glad to have you. I have no experience with directional drilling but like you would love to learn more about it. Trenchless install is a very profitable business.

  2. #2willie592024-11-20 21:17

    I don't have extensive experience in directional drilling, and I know nothing about the numbers as I was the one pushing the rod in the ground, not the one quoting the jobs. However, generally speaking, unless you live in an area that is nothing but rock, it's not often a big problem since most commonly directional drilling is used to either go under and cross a roadway, which will be structured sub strata fill, or will run parallel to and alongside the road, off the shoulder as it were, to cause minimal excavation damage to property, entrances, and cross streets. Again, typically not "bedrock" material unless, again, you live in an area that is nothing but rock. But if you do get into rock, especially sediment formation rock, it's a real PITA for directional drilling.