There have been a good number of threads and posts at the forum about a machine engine losing power or stalling. There can be a number of things that can cause this and typically requires a systematic method of simple troubleshooting to determine the cause of the problem. In many cases, we wrenches advise to start with the fuel system, more specifically, the fuel supply from tank. Over the years I have dealt with many machines that have the most unbelievable stuff in the fuel tank. Well, I worked on one today that is a perfect example and took a few pics to show everyone why we say "start with the fuel system". I know the history on this machine. It was purchased just a year or so ago, purchased new from a New Holland dealer in Florida. The buyer told me it had been sitting on the dealer lot for several years. When the economy went south, the dealer dropped the price just to move it, so the buyer jumped on it. He had it transported to Tennessee and brought it to us to have a thumb installed on it. Just had six hours on it, plastic still on the seat. Within the first week of him having his new machine on the job, he called me because it stalled. Turned out, tank was full of fuel, but I drained nearly three gallons of water out of the fuel tank, fuel system sucked some up and killed it. My guess is it sat on the lot in Florida for those years with just enough fuel to make it run, all the while condensation in the humid environment there added the water in the tank. I told the owner that he may have problems from that water being in the tank all that time. Sure enough, he called me this week, said he has to replace the fuel filter every two days, I told him to bring it to the shop, more than likely going to have to wash the tank out. Typically, I remove the fuel tank on a machine to wash it out, but this EH130 zero tail swing excavator...geez, I think I would have to take the machine apart to remove tank. Instead, New Holland (err, Kobelco) provided a nice big access plate in the bottom of the tank, made an excellent hole to wash tank out. Well, here's some pics. It's no wonder he had to replace the fuel filter every couple of days. Don't think this stuff would every work its way out. Access plate from bottom of tank with fuel pick up tube. Looking inside fuel tank. After cleaning. I did talk to owner today and told him that the rust on bottom of tank, although now cleaned, has cause some pitting and corrosion of steel, told him that any water in the fuel at bottom of tank can continue to cause rust because of the oxygen in the water so he needs to keep the water drained from the tank. A clean tank and clean fuel is the best way to have problem free operation of your engine. Keep it clean.
so it guess the small pipe on the cover is the drain.. if so wouldn't that make it hard to remove the water
looks like the pick up to me....
well duh dummy me... he even said it was the pick up ... then I guess the little black dot is the drain short attention span I guess.. it probably only took ten seconds to scroll down the page
LoL, hey, no worries heavylift, at least ya got a sense of humor. Heck, I wish I had a dollar for everything I did or said that was...well duh!
Nice article ATCO and it should be a helpful reminder to most. Have you ever wondered why manufacturers don't slope the the bottom of the tank to the drain hole? ...
Yep, that's the some are Rob. Some, like excavator tanks, may have a little depression in the bottom where the drain petcock is, which help. Others, flat as a pancake. Sure would help if they make the bottom to more easily remove the water. The worst part about water, even though it's in a tank, and has diesel fuel sitting on top of it, the water will still cause rusting of the steel bottom because of the oxygen in the water. Anyone who is sceptical about this, take a piece of uncoated/unprotected steel, like a oil free bearing race, and place it in a pot of water. In a very short time it will start to rust. It's very important to keep the water drained from your fuel tank.
Amen ..never been keen on plastic tank but durn you dont have the problems with steel ...wonder why equipment manufactures never looked to buildin aluminium , seems like theres a whole lot less trouble ..or heck even stainless ..
A plastic tank is a good idea. Our PC-30 has one but of course it's encased in steel bodywork. ATCO mentioned depressions and Hitachis have one...about the size of a small dinner plate. You have to tilt and swing the machine to get the gunk into the dip...several times. And it's not easy to look through the filler neck without dropping your penlight.