Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Disassembling Telehandler

thesanchez ยท 2023-10-25 09:07

I'm building a log home in a remote, fly in or boat in only site. I really want to get a tele handler on site. The helicopter service can lift just under 8,000, and the boat can carry about the same. I have a small carry deck crane on site and would be able to lift up to 8,000 pounds to reassemble a tele handler. A GTH-5519 weighs approximately 10,500lbs - I'm hoping if I pulled the boom off and capped the hydraulic I could get the chassis under 8,000lbs. I'd bet the wheel assemblies weigh another 1,500lbs. Does that sound realistic? What about a heavier machine, like GTH-844 - 22,000lbs? The boom I'd imagine would have to weigh 6,000lbs? Do these machines have counter weights?

Replies9
  1. #1skata2023-10-25 19:29

    Well that's an interesting endeavor. How big of A house? 1 or 2 story? Can you get by with a skidsteer and forks? Disassembling a larger telehandler is possible, but I think you'd still be over 9000 lbs with the boom and wheels removed. Most larger telehandlers are over 20klbs. You'd have to remove engine, transmission, axle etc. Is it worth the hassle? As for the smaller genie, I wonder if just removing the wheels will get you under the limit. By the way, may I ask where you are building?

  2. #2CM19952023-10-25 20:10

    What is the heaviest thing you need to lift and how far up and out?

  3. #3crane operator2023-10-25 20:58

    I think the boom would be under 8,000 on a 844. You can take the fork/mast assembly off really easily. The 22,500 spec weight probably isn't with foam filled tires, and almost all the used rental lifts I've been around, have foam filled tires. Most 8k telehandlers do have a small counterweight - sitting on the rear bumper. I think if you pulled boom, and pulled axles and tires, and the counterweight, all the hyd. cylinders. Maybe you could get the main frame close to 8k without having to pull engine and trans. If you have to pull engine and trans, it would be much easier to move a tele, that had side mounted engine and trans, rather than the rear engine style, just because it would be easier to reinstall.

  4. #4thesanchez2023-10-25 23:51

    Planning on two story house with a hangar, if I can get the equipment there. The tele handler will be a Godsend - I won't need a concrete pump! I do have a Broderson IC35 so I'm pretty confident I can reassemble everything without too much of a headache. Central Idaho, near Riggins.

  5. #5thesanchez2023-10-25 23:54

    Thanks for the info! How much do you think the counter weight weighs? Nearly impossible to find any info online - must be rare that a counterweight is replaced on these machines. I'm tempted to buy a low hour auction machine, and take it apart to see how light I can get it. I think pulling the power train is my line in the sand.

  6. #6thesanchez2023-10-25 23:55

    I'd love to be able to place a half a yard of concrete +580lbs for the concrete bucket at 25', which from the 844's load chart looks to be right at the limit. A telehandler would be perfect for unloading from a boat as well because of the reach length.

  7. #7thesanchez2023-10-25 23:57

    Looking at some YouTube videos of the boom being removed - I have to image that the axles with cylinders attached weigh 1000lbs+?

  8. #8skata2023-10-26 00:23

    If you can't drive a telehandler there, how will you get your materials and especially concrete there? How far from a road are you? Will you have a driveway to a road? Or is only access by boat or air? Most telehandler frames are very heavy. They are purposely made thick and heavy for counterweight. There's not much of a bolt on weight on most telehandlers.

  9. #9thesanchez2023-10-26 00:32

    I can drive down to the base of the Salmon river, opposite side. Then I'll move everything over with a heavy lift helicopter. I've got a skid steer, excavator, the small crane I mentioned, mini concrete plant and mixer, and soon a log cabin kit on the way. Unfortunately I can't drive across the river.