Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Disc Harrow for Finishing

Greg in KY ยท 2011-06-17 08:41

This may not be the right place to post this but- I am looking at agricultural style disc harrows to do finish work for sowing seed on small lawn projects. Probably a 3 point lift, 6' disc on about a 35hp ag tractor. Do I need smooth blades/coulters or do I need the notched style? Thanks, Greg

Replies8
  1. #1Dozerboy2011-06-17 18:52

    For finish I you need smooth

  2. #2dirty4fun2011-06-17 20:08

    I would say smooth also. I have used a steel tooth drag quite a few times to level and fill in the low spots. I had a drag made out of steel wheel bands, that was pretty easy to haul and worked good also.

  3. #3atgreene2011-06-18 09:18

    I would recommend smooth, as well as perhaps a drag style rather than 3pth. The drag will follow contours better and won't break disks in tight turns. I have a couple chain pasture harrows that I use by hanging them from my bucket on the excavator and spinning in a circle. Does a nice job of leveling and smoothing. You will need something for a pasture harrow to smooth out behind the disk.

  4. #4AT&SW2011-06-19 11:08

    For finishing disk then drag spreading your seed in between will give you a nice finish.

  5. #5stumpjumper832011-06-19 21:01

    A neighbor has a reverse tine rototiller for his tractor and it does an awesome job, somehow it makes rocks disapear. I Imagine after disking you would need to run over it with a york, harley rake, or rockhound to prep for seed.

  6. #6Greg in KY2011-06-20 09:01

    Thanks for the replies, I just sold a nice drag type disc because I could not get in tight places with it. It did a good job otherwise but was sorta aggravating to move locations. I was pretty sure I would be better off with the smooth because I would not be in sod. For a drag- I use about a 10' length of 6' chain link fencing with a 4" I-beam spreader across the front. This works as well as anything and can be shortened by simply folding it over on itself or rolled up an thrown in a pickup for easy hauling. My rock removal equipment is a 5 gallon bucket.

  7. #7jrtraderny2011-06-20 15:37

    "My rock removal equipment is a 5 gallon bucket." Always starts 1st pull............................. jr

  8. #8CAT D7 man2011-06-20 20:55

    I've got a 35HP Kubota with a 3-point disk. If you have clay soil, smooth discs won't penetrate satisfactorly. I have a 6' disk with notched discs on the front gang and smooth discs on the rear gang. I learned the hard way that LandPride is probably the only disk worth owning if you're tilling with a utility tractor without rear hydraulics. Plan on making repetitive passes ie. back & forth, diagonally. It is almost impossible to avoid ridging. I have not succeded in 15 years of trying. Larry