Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dislodging gravel

DJB ยท 2014-03-16 12:57

What are the methods used out there to dislodge frozen gravel from B70 Belly dumps? I'm having to bump the dumps with a dozer, is this a common practice or is there another practice out there? The ice road I'm on has limited room say for an excavator. DJB

Replies11
  1. #1bushcat2014-03-16 19:37

    Welcome DJB, when we are hauling sticky material in freezing temps we will spray or apply however you want to products such as diesel fuel,or antifreeze, or calcium or salt mixed with water,works pretty good.good luck

  2. #2CM19952014-03-16 19:59

    Welcome to the Forums DJB!:drinkup

  3. #3DJB2014-03-16 20:10

    Bushcat, thanks for the info, unfortunately, Permit rules here in the Arctic do not allow the use of any chemical especially a hydro carbon. Tnx. -DJB

  4. #4Colorado Digger2014-03-16 20:21

    We use veggie oil.

  5. #5HATCHEQUIP2014-03-16 20:31

    Would some vibraters on the bed work

  6. #6DJB2014-03-16 20:40

    Nope, not even veggie oil, thanks though.

  7. #7JDOFMEMI2014-03-16 20:48

    I'm not sure if it would work for what you are doing, but I solved a lot of plugging problems in sticky material on a screening plant by lining the chutes with a thin layer of UHMW plastic. Stuff does not stick to it very easily. Not sure about the freezing though.

  8. #8bushcat2014-03-16 21:56

    DJB there are products that are enviroment friendly for that purpose out there, you could try googling it,I've heard of guys using it for hau;ing snow ,said it works good and lasts quite awhile.

  9. #9alco2014-03-17 12:43

    Is the problem the material freezing to the inside of the belly dump, or freezing together? If it's freezing to the inside of the dump box, then I agree with Jerry about the UHMW plastic. If it's freezing together, then I agree with Hatch, that vibrators may be in order.

  10. #10tctractors2014-03-18 02:55

    Could the bodys not be heated like on DumpTrucks (they might be already???) tctractors

  11. #11grandpa2014-03-18 05:52

    If bumping them with the dozer is working, that's the most cost effective way.