I recently picked up this 1992 Ditch Witch 4010 with A411 trencher boom for a song in Houston. The air cooled Deutz 49hp engine runs great and the hydraulic cylinders were not leaking. One owner since 1997 when a new diesel engine was put on it so it is really a 1992 trencher with a 1997 Deutz air cooled on it with a mere 1189 hours on the diesel. The trencher boom came with a completely shot set of sprockets and chain. The photos below show what we spent a few hours removing from the old machine this weekend. So a couple of questions. 1. Have any of you used after market chains from like Ballentines or Georgia Underground on your trenchers? 2. I'm thinking that I am going to want to repaint the old machine. I am not particularly interested in using the two part epoxy paints because of the dangers of inhaling the aerosolized paint. Are there alternatives out there that aren't so dangerous to apply? Will they last? 3. Chain-The trencher is going to be used on mostly clay soils. Very little if any rock. Do I reassemble the chain with all dirt cups or go 50/50 with dirt cups and Terminator teeth? Here are the pics:
Decent looking machine. I believe there are only 2 or 3 chain manufacturers out there. As far as the teeth cups are fine in clay. This machine will not cut rock anyway. If it uses the belts under the seat might as well replace those. Proper tension is a must. It looks to be set up for a backhoe. That would be a good addition. The Duetz air cooled engines are solid.
Dickjr....thanks for taking time to look the pics over. We are planning to go with the dirt cups as you advised. I was doing some power washing yesterday since it was 80 degrees down here in Texas and spotted those belts. Looked like four of them. I'll take some time on the upcoming weekend to inspect them and see how they are. So the backhow attachment...I wonder what model fits the bosses on the 4010?
You will need to grease the end sprocket once a day. Just a shot or so. The plug by the pipe wrench in your pic. NAPA can match your paint or get it from Ditch Witch. Those little boogers can make you some decent cash. Our problem is rock and lots of it. I wore a 2300 out when I was a kid. Then we got a 3210 with the bachhoe. We always had aa full size hoe to pull rock.
So we got the new chain mostly installed last Friday. It runs a lot smoother with a nice chain in place. Just have to take care of two leaking tires and I'll be a trenching fool!