Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DIY buckets???

Pane ยท 2014-05-05 09:09

G'day Anyone here ever made their own buckets for a 20ton digger? I'm toying with the idea of trying to make my own v bucket. Some of my work requires the use of a v bucket and after getting a price I think I could give it a crack myself? Would I just use mid steel with weld on cutting edges? Cheers

Replies2
  1. #1Andrew_D2014-05-05 13:39

    I'd check out some of the "bucket repair" threads on here. I think it definitely could be done on your own, but mild steel wouldn't be a good idea. Most repairs are using various grades of abrasion resistant steel. AR400 +/- Then again, a V-bucket might not get used a whole bunch. Maybe for the rarely used buckets, mild steel would suffice??? Andrew

  2. #2Nige2014-05-05 13:50

    For any type of bucket you want to be looking at a minimum of Hardox 400 for the structure, and a cast steel lip.