Hello there, I figured I'd share my Moldboard pitch gauge I built for my H a couple months back. I find it very useful when running my curved edges to maintain a nice and straight edge for scraping ice and cutting shallow washboards while routine blading. Let me know what you think. If you got any questions feel free to ask. Figured this might help someone else out the way it's helped me out. Photo attached
Gives you a reference point to start from to return to a similar position. Nice idea. When doing maintenance grading I roll my blade completely forward, then roll it back a "bit". I can get close but not as close as a gauge would get me.
Thanks ovrszd, now that the roads are going to be getting firm up here quick, recently I've been tipping the moldboard all the forward and coming back a bit too so I don't dig too far into my crust. I got the tape for my pitch gauge set so the top of the moldboard is about 5 inches in front of the cutting edge. It did a great job mixing surface gravel this summer.
Good stuff! I just wanted to add a bit about blade-pitch. It is a very important adjustment affecting the productivity of a motor grader. Blade-pitch affects rolling action, along with speed, and angle. There is an ideal position for rolling (or processing) material. Pitch the blade all the way back, then pitch it ahead about 2 inches. Use with about 45 degrees of blade angle and you should be able to mix material thoroughly. If material begins to flow over the top of the moldboard, pitch the blade ahead slightly until the material stops coming over the top. If cutting action is needed, pitch the blade ahead of the previous position by about 4 inches or so. This will help with cutting hard material. I thought maybe some of the young guys that read this will be helped by this information. Good luck!
In my work the biggest struggle with blade pitch is snow plowing. Totally depends on snow type how I set the blade. Only time I use my blade in the rolled back position is if cutting dirt loose and carrying it any distance. All of my gravel road maintenance is done in the pitched forward position as described above.
Great points! Remember, the action of the material will dictate the proper pitch position. And, that action can change hourly because of moisture, in the case of dirt, or melting/freezing in the case of snow.
Definitely in regards to snow!!!!! I don't like to push snow starting in the middle of the night and pushing thru a bright sunny day with temps getting up to the freezing mark. The more tired I get the slower I am to react to the changing conditions...... Old age......
Maybe you are just wiser! That is what I like to think when it comes to age issues.
This is a great idea, I have been trying to think of ways to make it easy for guys to detect a 75 degree angle to a 60 degree angle for a particular blade product we sell. This idea will be perfect for that, do you think it would be possible to recreate it with a magnet to avoid having to bolt it on?
Bolting on would be far superior to a magnet. I think a magnet would be too easy to get knocked off and/or moved out of position. For a flashing warning light on the roof a magnet might be OK. For something down at the business end no.
I would like to find a way to mount this so that it could be a quick attach thing for guys who are just demoing a system, any ideas Welder Dave?
I carry a magnetic angle finder in the cab of the grader at all times.
Have to design some type of quick attach clamp but all graders would be different. Would have to see if you can use any of the attaching bolts already on the machine.
Yep, not sure how you would get around the different designs other than build a set for each make/model of machine.