Anyone here made your own DIY window screens for your dozer? If yes, how did they work out, was it harder than it looks (does not look that hard).
What do you mean by "window screens"? All I see machine windows have is glass, no screens.
Like these https://www.brokentractor.com/p/john-deere-dozer-brush-screen-set-pv680-pv680/ Screens are necessary on machines used for logging, because of tree branches etc
Are you the only operator ? DIY would be problematic if an employee get's hurt or killed.
Welcome to the Forums pman! Glad to have you. I am guessing you want to use this dozer in the woods? Is this a hobby machine or a machine you earn a living with? $2675 isn't bad considering the steel, mesh and hardware is probably 1/2 that.
Thanks gents. Oh this is a business machine. No hobby about it. The steel mesh and the strapping used in the frame costs about fifty bucks. I just bought them, thinking about making my own. The really nice ones sold commercially are beautifully done, with drilled holes for the individual wires. I don’t see the real practical advantage to that on the side screens. Front, rear, yes. Thank you guys for the input, much appreciated
Be careful how you attach them, the ROPS is an engineered and certified device.
My main point is....Do you have paid employees running the machine ?
Yeah SkyKing, that’s an excellent point. Any deviation from the pre -drilled holes probably results in a ROPS that’s no longer OSHA approved. It is a very good warning, because in the logging world some machines are up-armored like the military “hillbilly armor” by necessity, not necessarily by some degreed engineer plan. While these improvements are unquestionably protective of the machine and the man in it, some of them might involve attaching at key stress points that weaken it and undermine the purpose of said improvements. Going to take more thought than I anticipated. Thanks. DiggerDoug, only contractors, not employees. If they don’t have their own machine, then they rent ours at a discounted rate. Overall I think the ROPS is the only regulated part of field safety here. Adding additional safety features can’t hurt with the bureaucrats.
you are very welcome. If you go into the job knowing you want to preserve that ROPS entire, then it is easy to do. You can even put some support up from the chassis of the machine, rather than hang it all on those holes. The less it loosens up and rattles, the better.
What type of business are you in?
Land, timber, oil, gas and mineral rights. Small business, kept small on purpose because I enjoy hunting, fishing, trapping and my wife is hot.
Again good point. I think the screen sets come with pole for each side. I just can’t spend the money on something that looks like we can fabricate it in an hour.
Yeah I'm not that fast but I still like making things and agree with you.
I made these with material I had laying around. If I had enough of the expanded metal I'd have used that for all but didn't. Even so the vertical pickets work way better than nothing. I'm absolutely sure though that the holes I drilled so the panels are removable make the ROPs non-certifiable any more. I didn't care though cause a D31 isn't gonna be in a mine or construction site.... I would definitely do it again although I couldn't do it by myself anymore, my shoulders are destroyed
I suppose OSHA may frown on drilling holes in the columns, but in my opinion making metal framework and bolting them on (filling the bolt holes and adding rigidity) would actually improve the strength of the structure. I'm no engineer though, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
I used rock screen, and think it was 1/2 thick bar don't remember the width 3 inch or so. Welded brackets on the ROPS just like the dealer would. Made the window frame from the bar, and welded the screen to it. Turned out great.
Drive-through window on the one side, prison on the other! I like this. The screens are fabricated to fit into pre drilled holes and held in place with stock posts that also attach at pre drilled holes. But like you say, if you aren’t running it in some heavily regulated environment, it should be fine. It would work for us
I like the rock screen better than the pretty flimsy screen material I bought.
What happens if you roll it on the side, can you still get out ?
Well it is OSHA regs of course but just as important is a compromised ROPS brings all sorts of liability issues (trial lawyers) if someone gets hurt or worse killed, while operating the machine that has a "compromised" ROPS. Also it diminishes the value of the machine to any purchaser that can see it has a damaged ROPS. I know I would use a damaged ROPS as a negotiating tool to get the sales price down.
I used to build rear and side screens the D8 s and D7s that were road building . The ROPS on most of these machines had lugs for screens welded to the canopy posts right from the factory. usually 2X2 X3/8" was used for the lugs drilled for 1/2" or 5/8" bolts.Id build a full perimeter frame out of 3/8 or 1/2 X 3" flatbar. I used 2X2"X1/4" woven wire mesh ,welded each wire to inside of the flatbar frame . Im not sure if the woven mesh was the same as rock screen , the stuff we ordered was specificly for canopy screens. These screens would stand a good poke from a big limb or a top pretty well. We only ever screened the sides and rear.
The loggers are much more concerned with being speared and smashed by branches and tree tops than the remote possibility of rolling and not being able to crawl out a side. If you are not familiar with logging dozers, hunt up a few pictures. They are almost like Mad Max machines, often armored and always heavily screened to protect the operator from all of the snapping, whipping, popping under pressure tree parts. So, escape not a primary concern.
I concur in all things here. That is why we will stick with the factory threaded holes in the ROPS and the frame for mounting any screens we install.
Here, check this site out: https://www.advancedforest.com/products/heavy-equipment-armor-for-skid-steers-and-excavators/
I would think you could make clamps to hold the screens that wrap around the ROPS that wouldn't require welding or drilling the ROPS. I'd use something like 1 1/2" × 1/4" flat bar that wraps around the ROPS and has tabs bent out for a bolt. Have a space between the tabs for your screen mounting tab. Once you bolt everything tight the clamps are squeezed very tightly to the ROPS holding the screens. Kind of like a pipe clamp except for square tubing. They could be 2 piece too with bolts on either side.
That stuff is important. I had too small a machine doing demo, with no guards. A piece of steel got away from me while I was loading a truck and it took this casting off. My foot was next to it on the travel pedal so that was a good thing. We did a stand down and they got me this rig with that ballistic front screen. Much better
Why should I check it out ? Your the one doing the design & build.
I am familiar with loggers, we have them all around here I work with them. If you roll the dozer, it might catch on fire, and if you can't get out, you'll be burned alive. Doo you really want that ? If you rent this out, and a customer dies.....
So you are ok with enclosed cabs, but not screens? You challenge a member on a subject and when they present you with examples you decline to look? Look Doug, I am new here. I am friendly to all and happy to get and give advice. I don’t like your negative attitude here. It’s weird. It’s unnecessary. If I gotta block ya, so be it, but I prefer a friendly and positive conversation. If not for me, change for yourself
Excellent design, I like it!
Holy carp. That was close . Yeah, great example of why and how to armor up.
I'm not negative, I'm trying to keep you safe. If that involves dis-agreeing with you so be it. I'm not screaming at you, I simply suggested possible scenarios that you may not have thought about with your home made screens. A fully enclosed cab many times has a push out panel/window. Look, your gonna doo what you want anyways, so just get on with it.
the picture doesn't show it but there is access on both sides to get in and out
Dave's idea is what I would do if you got all done and it rattled and drove ya nuts, for some supplemental action. My accident, we were tasked with demoing 6 million + pounds of concrete form panels after building the SR520 bridge side pontoons. They gave me a JD 225 without guards. When you are going over the side of a 13'6" end dump, it is too close IMO. I had a ball of rebar all folded up nice, and this one pesky 1/2 x 4 steel strap 10' long. It slipped out at just the right angle to spear the lower window and that pedal at a pretty good clip. The casting took all the energy out of it or it might have been more interesting. Keiwit does not do things by half measures, and I got that brand new 290 class with the guard. It was so nice, like shooting 3 pointers compared to the 225.
Although we can fabricate these ourselves, it pays to check in with pros. Man oh gees, talk about salty. And the price of only slightly better screen than the really robust 1/4” is too high. Oddly, the one fabricator gives great prices on steel banding. We are still weighing this all out. On the positive side, the hillbilly log arch is staying in place. Bad news, the winch is acting up. Never a dull moment, but fortunately we are working with wood and not flying steel like SkyKing.
If you have a moment and are inclined to share, bring back some pictures. Hillbilly log arch sounds fun.
If you got real creative, you could have swing away screens with a latch that could be released from the cab. Then in the event of a rollover you'd have a way to escape. There would have to be a way to get in the machine anyway.
Interesting idea. I don’t know how well that holds up to the logging environment. In terms of bumpy rides etc. We are wracking our heads trying to figure out the most basic solution to the side screens. Now I don’t claim to have the smartest people assembled in one spot!
But they are hard working. One look at the business end of that arch made me tuckered out. I remember what little choker setting I did, I was 20. That's a whole lotta NOPE now
Spring loaded door latches like cab doors have is 1 option.
The screens on my flail axe are angle that fits over the rops and are bolted in place using short flat pieces. I didn’t build these, came on the machine when I bought it. They have (thankfully) stopped a bunch of “chips” when I was still learning the ropes along with keeping branches outta the command center…certainly wouldn’t expect them to hold up to more than that, but might give you an idea of how someone else held them onto a cab. Oh, and yeah; she can chip a 6” pine tree to a nub in no time ; )
I guess I missed the boat here, are we talking about screening in the entire enclosure on the machine in question? or just mimicking the standard forestry package that most dozers can have included in the factory build? If we are talking the standard rear and side screens that cover the rear completely and the sides usually from the rear corner to the side post center way and leaves the entry open on both sides you have three ways to exit the machine if the need arises, two sides and the front. Which to me is sufficient to protect the operator in the logging situations. I have a JD 450E with that setup and it works excellent in the woods. jmho
I agree with Mcrafty and welder Dave that multiple exit options are key…personally I don’t like my setup only having two…but on the other hand all my work is off road in very hilly rocky terrain…far cry from highway maintenance it was designed for… The other item I should point out is looking/working thru the mesh for hours (typically I run mine for about 6 hours a pop) I find my eyes at the end of that timeframe start to get a “buzzed” effect of constantly looking through the bouncing mesh…but likely you’ll hook up a hitch then drive forward (and not look/work thru the mesh) but if you are going to fully enclose the cab, buyer beware. Or plan to have some slots or flip-up “windows”…hey, maybe a “window” could dbl as an escape hatch??!! Excited to see what direction(s) you take your build!
Cool idea. Given how rough logging is, anything that is not bolted down or welded in place has a good chance of coming loose. Especially from the kind of hard knocks trees throw out of the blue.
Correct. Standard forestry package. Plenty of escape routes from a rolled machine, and probably a lot more than the fully enclosed cab has.