OK. Here is my question.Suppose that I have purchased a dump trailer that can haul 5K.OK so I head to the quarry and get 4K pounds of stone.Now riding home the DMV sees my rig and pulls me over. secretly I am fixing a driveway, not for me but someone else. The trailer is all in compliance and insured. BTW, Trailer gross is 8K. Do I need a special permit to repair a driveway for someone else? Would this be a commercial use for the trailer? I plan to haul my John Deere 17G with it to the site. This is just a "Supposed Situation" .Thanks. Any constructive criticism is welcome, before I take the plunge, Ken
Based on that scenario I see no reason the DOT man would mess with you short of seeing something unsafe. Generally larger trailers over 10,000 pounds, big equipment and big trucks (duallys, 4500, 5500 etc) draw their attention. Also lettering and phone numbers on things may catch their eye. How is the equipment titled/insured? Sometimes when they run tags and see xxxx inc or xxx LLC they might ask more questions in regard to use. I see SAC in your avatar....my dad was part of SAC 65-69.
Ues you would be considered a commercial vehicle under federal regulations and would need everything that goes with being a commercial vehicle watch this