Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Do Face Seals ever self-clear?

Pete F ยท 2017-09-01 23:16

I have recently picked up a little Bobcat 324 Excavator and just went through it with all the regular servicing. I'm trying to get on top of all the problems it has before it starts being used too much, as I know they will then just be accepted and never fixed. I noted that one of the final drives had no oil in it and after replacing the oil I see it's leaking. Thinking back I remember seeing oil on the ground after unloading it and with it sitting in one spot for a few days, but don't recall seeing any oil around it when I looked at it before purchase. It sat in one spot there for a number of weeks. The oil leak may have been around that drive just thinking back to where the oil was in relation to the machine. at the time I figured it was probably a hydraulic leak and something I'd get to when I serviced it. It's possible the oil I saw wasn't from the drive, but it has no other leaks. The machine has low hours (under 700) but wasn't well looked after. I doubt the seller would have been bothered to top up the drive oil before selling it. I have no idea therefore whether it had oil in the drive when I first picked it up, or how long it's been empty. I looked inside with a torch, but didn't pop the cover or send a borescope in there, but everything looked reasonably wet from what I could see. I'm trying to track down (pardon the pun) where I stand on this, as even a "little" drive repair won't come out of the Friday beer money! My question for you experts: Is it possible for these seals to self-clear? I've read that can sometimes occur, but personally have no clue. I can imagine that may be possible if some grit has become lodged in the actual faces. I'd like to explore all possibilities before jumping to too any costly conclusions. Thanks for the advice.

Replies1
  1. #1mitch5042017-09-02 00:08

    It can leak with a particular spot pointed down, and not leak with the sprocket in another position