Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Do I need brake additive in Case 580SM Rear axle with Hy-Tran Ultraction

Blueacre ยท 2019-05-10 13:17

Just changed the rear end oil and transmission oil and filter on my Case 580 Super M. Refilled both with Case Hy-tran Ultraction in 5 gallon pails - part number 73341724. My owners manual says to add brake additive to the rear end oil to prevent brake chatter. I bought the Hy-tran at the local Case -IH Ag dealer - a lot closer than the nearest Case Construction Equipment dealer. The parts guy told me I shouldnt need a brake additive with the new Hy-Tran Ultraction oil but being he woks at an Ag delaer I thought the reuirement might be different for farm tractors. Figured it would be good to checkfor sure. No plans to use the Backhoe for a couple of weeks so I can still put in the additive if is required.

Replies4
  1. #1Blueacre2019-05-10 17:04

    Followup to original post - I found a site that said to add CNH part number 402982A2 oil additive for Hy Tran Ultra. I called the local Case-IH and New Holland dealers and neither one could find that part number

  2. #2alrman2019-05-10 19:30

    You DO need the additive, I buy it all the time from my local dealer. The oil additive part number 402982A2 is not connected to any machine model search. It would seem, the guys you spoke to at those dealers you called don't know what they are doing. Tell them to look at the CNH website ........

  3. #3Blueacre2019-05-10 19:35

    thanks again for the info - I figured I needed it from everything I have read - the additive comes up when I search the CNH parts on line sites but the local dealers seem to be struggling to find it - I will take a copy of the brochure you sent to them and see if they can figure it out.

  4. #4Tinkerer2019-05-10 19:49

    Available on eBay and delivery by thursday as of today. https://www.ebay.com/p/CNH-Tutela-Axle-Oil-Additive-Lubricant-402982A2-16-FL-Oz/2035572350