Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Does Anybody know where to get the old Dextron II?

Minnesota Eric · 2021-10-07 14:10

Does Anybody know where to get the old Dextron II transmission fluid? I have an old 1979 Hough H80B project with a S-700 transmission, and my service book tells me to use Dextron II. I've also been told not to use newer versions of Dextron because they are "too slippery." I've been adding Case Hy-Tran as needed but I'd like to change the fluid in my loader's transmission to zero it for maintenance hours. That said, I'm having a really hard time trying to locate where I can get Dextron II. Thanks for any help or advice!

Replies30
  1. #1skata2021-10-07 16:12

    Dexron III replaced II a long time ago. You can still find III.

  2. #2Coaldust2021-10-07 17:22

    1973 called and wants your Dextron II back. Sorry. That went away with bell bottoms and Bonanza. The licensing and blending ended decades ago. Everyone will say Dextron is backwards compatible, but that’s not entirely true. There is a viscosity difference. Maybe that’s what you mentioned with the “slippery” comment. DEX VI is less viscous, but much more shear stable than the old DEX II formula. I’ve ran into this question before back in my oil jobber days. My tribologist recommended Castrol Domestic Multi-Vehicle. Another smart dude I worked with recommended Mercon V as a substitute for DEX II in old stuff. I think a Allison TES-295 would probably be a good option. I’d probably try this and see how it performs. It certainly won’t hurt anything. IDK. I’d like to hear more opinions. I’ll ponder this some more.

  3. #3kshansen2021-10-07 20:01

    I believe bac around five years ago for the few things that called for Dextron we were using a Mercon oil. Can't even recall what would have used that.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2021-10-07 20:17

    U could probably find it at:: Family Dollar or Dollar General.??

  5. #5digger242j2021-10-07 20:48

    I've heard of "Dexron", but not "Dex t ron". If I google "Dextron II" it shows me results for "Dexron II", and asks if I really want to see results for for Dextron II. I think that " t " in the middle doesn't belong there.

  6. #6Bluox2021-10-07 20:54

    Vtech volunteered to be the spelling police you know. Hope you didn't hurt his feelers. DexronIII and Mercon are the same thing and are still sold in the same bottle. Bob

  7. #7Truck Shop2021-10-07 21:01

    aka-Doctor Detroit!

  8. #8digger242j2021-10-07 21:04

    I decided a long time ago it wasn't worth the trouble to play the role of spelling policeman, but if you're searching for something on the internet, you get the best results when you have the spelling correct. Is there such a product as "Dextron", or is it a common error to spell it that way?

  9. #9Bluox2021-10-07 21:16

    I have never seen it spelled that way and apparently neither has Google and we all know Google can't be wrong. Bob

  10. #10Truck Shop2021-10-07 21:19

    And if Google can't help then ask Alexa.

  11. #11heymccall2021-10-07 21:25

    Dexron iii can absolutely be used in place of Dexron ii. Dexron vi, however, can make seals turn brittle if they weren't designed for Dexron vi.

  12. #12Bluox2021-10-07 21:28

    Last I heard they weren't talking to each other! Bob

  13. #13Truck Shop2021-10-07 21:31

    Well she's a know it all for sure.

  14. #14mks2021-10-07 22:21

    I apologize…

  15. #15Coaldust2021-10-08 00:36

    That’s awesome! Could probably hit up enough garage sales, estate sales and farm auctions to acquire enough for a drain & fill.

  16. #16JLarson2021-10-08 00:48

    I've put III in several old ass machines that called for II in the past with no ill effects that we know of.

  17. #17kshansen2021-10-08 09:47

    Yea but the operators are probably stuck somewhere in the bush with a failed machine so that's why you have not heard about them!

  18. #18JLarson2021-10-08 10:47

    Oh well lol

  19. #19heymccall2021-10-08 12:09

    I see no reference of "seal hardening" for Dexron VI in here....but, it does explain the many reasons for the changes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON?wprov=sfla1

  20. #20Minnesota Eric2021-10-08 15:10

    Dang, I got pulled over by the spellin' police and given a spellin' B ticket. LOL That all said, the take away from this is that Dexron III IS a suitable replacement for Dexron II and WILL NOT screw up my S-700 International transmission. Meanwhile, Coaldust, who sounds like he was once in the business back in the day, shared the same concerns that I've been hearing: post Dexron II flavors of Dexron are not recommended as a replacement for heavy transmissions designed to be used with Dexron II. Coaldust is suggesting a Castrol Multi-Vehicle tranny fluid and in the past I've looked into that but I wasn't able to confirm how well that would work in my transmission (it might work great, but I haven't been able to confirm that). Coaldust also went on to suggest a Mercon V compatible with Dexron II further sharing Allison TES-295 as an option. A quick internet search informed me that Allison TES-295 is a synthetic and the equivalent mineral oil is TES 389 but I need to look more into it. This link here explains why I'm asking out on this forum for an informed suggestion, as ATF fluid designations over the years has become an utter mess. https://www.cartechbooks.com/blogs/techtips/autotransfluid

  21. #21Coaldust2021-10-08 17:25

    You are correct. ATF designations are a mess. TES-295 spec is expensive stuff. Castrol BP Autran syn 295 is my favorite. You can save a few bucks going with Shell Spirax S6 ATF A295 Oil. Comes out of the same tap at the same blender in Houston TX. Both products have been hard to find, lately. Castrol multi-vehicle has been on back order for a long time. If your machine is working good, maybe pull an oil sample and find out how the current fluid looks. If that machine was in my bay, I’d probably use a TES-295. My second choice would be Mercon V. Thinking about it some more, there is going to be a risk of seal leaks no matter what product you use. Take an old machine that hasn’t been serviced in a long time, old fluids, little use,.... give it some love and those 50 year-old seals start leaking.

  22. #22Bluox2021-10-08 19:13

    Your dealing with a antique cornbinder, it would most likely run on peanut oil. Buy a couple of pails of DexronIII and be happy. Bob

  23. #23Bluox2021-10-08 19:17

    Most likely the seals were already "hard" and the fact dexronVI is a lighter oil might have something to do with leaks. Bob

  24. #24Willie B2021-10-08 20:06

    I have two different friends who love old Ford tractors. One has looked at a Ford Dexta tractor since his grandfather bought it in 1959, he still calls it a Dexter. It says Dexta on it! Other friend had a NAA Golden Jubilee. It says so right on the tractor. He calls it a Golden Jugilee. What to Hell is a Jugilee???

  25. #25Coaldust2021-10-08 21:00

    Oil threads are always fun.

  26. #26Chrisso2021-10-26 23:35

    Doesn't matter how you spell these down here... they all come out Dexta

  27. #27Welder Dave2021-10-26 23:55

    What about the edible oil creamers and whipped topping? Dairy Queen uses or used to use the Rich's edible oil topping.

  28. #28Pony2021-10-27 00:11

    I certainly like the way this is heading, now all we need are the pictures.

  29. #29DMiller2021-10-27 06:05

    There are literally dozens of CL ads for Alice Chambers or Alis Chamblers or any other noted delivery of mis-spelled and generally the Very FIRST Photo shows the label on the side of the hoods, NOT spelled as seller spells. Internasty Harvestors are another that gets odd spellings. Type A, Dexron up to type III are all becoming irrelevant as they are almost all gone and obsoleting, we used Type F in GM autos for sharper shifts to engage harder, hard on final end but less cooking of clutches and heating up. Type a was Whale Oil as I have been explained which is why is LONG gone. Chrysler used a type of Whale oil in their manual Jeep boxes when they owned Jeep and got replaced with ATF of a Dexron type.

  30. #30Willie B2021-10-27 06:54

    Lets not forget Cummings engines.