Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Does anyone know what a TC301 KOMTRAX 2 is

josephny · 2023-12-28 09:06

I have a 2007 PC160 and just discovered it has an: Anatel TC301 KOMTRAX 2 data communicator device installed. Is this a stock Komatsu component? Is it an add-on by the original owner? What does it do? Thanks.

Replies8
  1. #1coalrulz2023-12-28 13:27

    Is your machine a 160-7? Is the controller mounted behind the seat and look like #7? If so it is Komatsu's telematic system called Komtrax. Description of Komtrax system

  2. #2Nige2023-12-28 14:44

    It’s the Komatsu equivalent of Cat’s Product Link that allows the machine to be remotely monitored. If it’s anything like PL it will be on an annual subscription to keep it operational.

  3. #3josephny2023-12-28 14:47

    That is exactly what I have: PC160LC-7EO with something that looks exactly like the item in the picture. Do I understand correctly that all these years it's been there, connected, getting power (I see LEDs lit), but not sending data? I wonder if that's causing a drain on my batteries. Think I can just pull the plug? Or is there a no-tamper-self-destruct?

  4. #4coalrulz2023-12-28 16:26

    Yes sir, been there since it rolled off assembly line. LED's are lit it is getting power, if your batteries go dead after sitting for awhile, easiest way I know how to fix is to put a battery disconnect switch on the battery negative cable, or disconnect the battery negative post when machine is going to be sitting more than a month. Your machine is Tier 2 or 3, Komatsu did not start putting battery disconnects back on machines until Tier 4. I spent sometime troubleshooting a PC160-8 for battery drain for a rancher sometime back. The highest drain I could pick up, with ignition key off, was from the engine ECM. Installed battery disconnect switch and problem went away. My guess would be that you may have fault codes if you disconnect the Komtrax controller harness... not sure though. No self destruct feature, that I know of. Komtrax does not have a yearly subscription so if machine is reporting you can see location and fault information if you ask your dealer for access to MyKomatsu site. If you provide serial number I can (most likely) see if machine is reporting.

  5. #5josephny2023-12-28 16:37

    I put a really nice disconnected on the negative wire, mounted beautifully, works great. Too bad I'm too lazy to use it. I'll leave the Komtrax untouched as it seems very unlikely it is draining the battery. I'd be shocked if it's sending data, but who knows. Serial number is C10074. I think it was an import (aka, gray market). Thank you.

  6. #6coalrulz2023-12-28 16:53

    What I have access to shows machine has not reported data or location information since 2020.

  7. #7josephny2023-12-28 17:18

    Wow! I was wrong again. That's my location. I never had a subscription, so either a long term subscription existed, or one was never needed. I do wonder why it's no longer working. I also wonder who else can see where my machine is. Thank you.

  8. #8coalrulz2023-12-28 18:08

    Most common issues I see with older Komtrax systems is communications antenna or no power to the controller. Dealer level can see the machine data. Your servicing dealer can see more of the machine health information than a dealer that is not in your area. When you have customer level MyKomatsu access you have access to information for your machines.