As you can see in the below pics, my glass bezel is so cracked I cant read the gauge. The Case website and dealer show a 24v gauge w/sending unit for $244 for the 1989 855D, but mine is the magnetic type that just sits on top of the tank (no hole for a sending unit). Anyone have any ideas?
Can't say for sure it would work but our Cat 769C has a magnetic gauge something like that one. I could measure the center to center of the retaining screws to see if it would fit. The Cat part number is 2G0244 and our price shows it costing $14.30. Just guessing that the Cat one is made by the same people as the Case one you have.
There is more to that gauge than what I see in the pictures. It is (I think) a mechanical gauge that extends down into the tank almost to the very bottom. Just unscrew it and it will come out. The complete replacement unit is $205.00 on Coleman's website.
IF(??) that is the screw in mechanical style gage then check with a local oil tank supply company(home style tank). I use to get them for free all the time or I believe they're around $40.00 if they'll fit. Very easy to figure out if it's the correct style. I believe Home Depot even carried them at one time.
This is what it looks like in the parts book. It seems if the machine had a cab then it may have had the electric gauge. That is why the steel plate # 25 is available. That may also be why the dealer was referring to a 24 volt assembly. The oil tank gauge is a good idea. Hopefully it could be shortened to fit in the Case tank. Perhaps the bezel on the OP's picture could be rolled back and a new lens installed. I have done it on air pressure gauges. It would have to be sealed with silicone if that was done.
Thx for replies; I cant see how a sending unit could just "magically" connect to a non-powered gauge. I did find marine gauges called "direct site" that look just like my old one. Will try one of these ($7 trumps $240 any day ): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MTCRBO/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item
It may look like yours and it may work. But read the reviews at the bottom of the webpage you posted. It doesn't work with some sending units. Let us know if it worked.
I guess a $7 gamble is worth it; I still don't even know what an unpowered sending unit in the tank would do. Guess I'm just not getting the concept. if the replacement doesn't work, I'll try and replace the bezel somehow (although its factory sealed)......
Your sending unit (the part in the tank) has a long screw in the center of it. There is a magnet attached to the top of it. As the float goes up and down the screw and magnet rotate. You cannot see the magnet because it is under the metal plate on the top of the screw assembly. The dial has a small metal rod that follows the rotating magnet. I guess they make them that way because rain water cannot get past the metal plate on the screw assembly.
Ya, that makes sense. Don't know where the "24v" reference came from (since its unpowered). Definitely not worth $240 to replace all of it tho. I'll report back on the function of the gauge when I get it.....
The 240$ does sound bad but the first second and even third time you run it out of fuel it will sound cheaper and cheaper as you go. Those gauges will last a long time. They are simple and durable. Best thing is they are not electric so they work with no key or running motor.
Well here's a picture of the Cat Gauge:
Yair . . . looks like a perfect application for a dip-stick to me. Cheers.
LOL Scrub; now THAT is a good low-budget solution!! Lets hope the $7 replacement works well with the sending unit. Shame Case doesn't sell them separately (probably a reason for that: $$$)....
:drinkup
Update how it goes or fits. If the dial you wind up with does not work or is not aligned or something, post back and I will help. I have a lot of experience with those on propane tanks. There are a lot of variations.
Thx BV; that is a "negative" on the sight gauge I bought working. There were no dimensions in the advertisement; Case gauge is 2" OD, this was a little over 1" (and much cheaper in construction). Appreciate if you can steer me in the right direction.....
Have you looked at the Cat gauge I posted a picture of? Any chance of opening up your gauge to see is there is a number on the face like 5-01023?
OK, those are used on every propane tank made from 1940 until about 1980 and are referred to as a "Senior" gauge and the part you are looking for is called a "dial". Go to your friendly propane supplier and they should have one like it. The markings will probably be different but the needle will still work. They are not cheap normally, but probably best to just go get one you can hold in your hand and see that it fits. Many of the senior dials have ears with four slots for bolts to drop in but many or most have the two screws so the dial can be removed from the 4 prong adapter and put into your gauge. I think that would be the right thing, too, if you can get it. The one in the picture is Rochester part number 5-01023. Maybe call them if you can't get it from Cat. That is if the Cat markings are right. http://www.rochestergauges.com/
Yes Sir; definitely numbers but the bezel is so cracked and faded I cant read them (my eyes stink too ).....
You are correct Sir; I can definitely make out the large "R" in there (but that's it). I will peruse the site and see if I can find one that will work. I REALLY really appreciate all the great help I've gotten at this wonderful forum; thx a lot guys.....
If needed you could also glue the small one you got down to the center of the gauge, you would just have to find through trial and error what the correct orientation is for proper orientation of the needle.