I have a CH Mack with an E-7 mack engine and a 9-speed eaton. There is a grease hose that runs up from the bottom of the bell housing into the top of the release bearing. It goes through a 1/8 pipe elbow, a 3" nipple and another elbow. The clutch fork goes under the release bearing. The hose has come loose from the bearing and when we greased it the grease didn't go into the bearing. I found it when the driver came in and said the clutch wouldn't go all the way down but was working perfectly. The hose was between the bearing and clutch brake. This is the third time in fifteen years of owning CHs that I have had a problem with this hose. When I pull a transmission I turn the release bearng over and put a grease fitting directly into the bearing. You have to mash the clutch to grease it but I can live with that. The problem now is the bearing is dry and mostly worn out, but if I could put grease in it it might last a little longer. You can't reach up by the fork and you can't take the fork out. I'm just wondering if anyone else would like to join me in stringing out the guts of the engineer that thought this up?
If I had a quarter every time I thought about ripping off some engineer's head because of a stupid design I would have a pocket full of them :usa
I always picture a group of guys in lab coats looking down at the completed design blueprints proudly commenting on their own brilliance, then from the back row someone says, "uh guys? how will they grease that bearing?" or in some cases "how will anyone reach that bolt?"