Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Does the anxiety of the night before a new job ever go away?

Aliate ยท 2010-02-04 20:46

I know it sounds small but im digging an 800ft trench on tuesday, just for some conduit about 3 feet deep. I feel like a nervous wreck right now Im not sure why, it just feel like theres a lot riding on it financially. Does the anxiety ever go away? I guess its mostly about funding the job.

Replies18
  1. #1davidd2010-02-04 21:06

    Nope But it is entirely a normal feeling. Actually it probably means you will do an excellent job. Butterflies are normal Check back and let us know how it went.

  2. #2tonka2010-02-04 21:13

    800ft is that all... Edit: Sorry if i sounded like a jerk...like the others have said, do what you were trained to do and you will be fine. How long have you been operating? What are you going to be digging with? Any existing utilitys? Make sure you walk the lay out of the trench before you start digging, look for land marks and utilitys... painted on the ground, Good luck!

  3. #3td25c2010-02-04 21:18

    It's normal to be a little nervous before starting a new job.You want things to go smooth whith no mistakes or misshaps.My advice is dont overthink the job,just rellax and have the confidence to do what you do best.Anxiety for me is watching in the delivery room while the doctor is helping the wife deliver a baby.I dont worry to much the day before a new job after that.

  4. #4joispoi2010-02-05 01:46

    It goes away when the check clears at the bank.

  5. #5bigrus2010-02-05 03:12

    It does become easier As you click up more 'hours on the life meter' it gets easier & the stress doesn't last as long. Just remember, there are always unforeseen variables that are out of the realms our human control. Do the best job that the conditions allow & be happy with your own productivity.

  6. #6Hendrik2010-02-05 05:58

    Yes it does go away and is replaced with the sensation of "Oh God here we go again, another day with the monotonous repetition that is trench digging" Did one today, 180 meters of mixed soil, from lovely loamy stuff to dirty rock filled junk. Main thing is to keep it straight, upright and at the right depth. Use a reference point on your dipper arm to set your depth. Basically extend your bucket to full, have the dipper arm straight up, put the arm on the ground and use a tape measure to find a spot on the arm/bucket where 3 foot is, then every now and then put the arm into the trench like that to check your depth (you can even use a bit of marker paint to mark 3 foot). Keeping a trench straight is a bit harder if you are not working next to a reference line but it is advised to mark it out beforehand. Unfortunately today I was having to work off center and drifted a couple of times, keep checking your work and if it is not perfect give the customer a discount for imperfection. If the machine is level the trench will be level but today my job was on undulating ground so I spend half an hour with a bigger bucket leveling my run as best I could without taking forever to do it. Not sure what you mean by "funding the job"? Could you clarify that? It took me 10 hours of digging to do 180 meters to a depth of 600mm with a 1.6 tonne Kubota, using a 200mm trenching bucket fitted with new tiger teeth. One of those jobs where a 3 tonne machine would have been better to deal with the tough digging conditions. BTW I am assuming you know all this but wrote it for others that may be thinking about trenching. Best of luck mate.

  7. #7oarwhat2010-02-05 08:49

    over and over in my sleep Hi all along time ago we had a tough job to do the next day. I did the job over and over in my sleep until I had it all worked out. I thought man that's a great way to get ready for a project. The problem being this started going on EVERY night and it took years before I could shut that off. It does get allot better with age and experiance Randy

  8. #8Red Bank2010-02-05 10:15

    Aliate, I understand where you are coming from, it does not matter what you are doing whether trenching, etc. When the checking account is low anxiety will run high, when the checking account is high, anxiety runs low. This feeling will go away in time, somewhat. It really means that right now you are trying to do the best job you can. I have found that when you worry about it too much and something does go wrong it is almost a relief and you shake it off, fix it and get back to work. For me, I find comfort in knowing that someone can help me if I get in a jam, but when you are doing alone and you are the only one you can count on and your back is against the wall then the anxiety sits in. Try to stay positive and recount the other jobs that you have done and that what you are getting ready to do is no big deal.

  9. #9Dozerboy2010-02-05 16:23

    Nope and that good as long as it doesn't get out of hand. The last thing you want is to end up having panic attacks.

  10. #10Aliate2010-02-05 19:08

    Yea just to clarify Im not running the machine, I own the company, finishing off my second year. I feel better today because I have everything set up for the job next week. I just hate the feeling, like that knot you get in your stomach, but then once Im on the job it all goes away. I appreciate all the replies. Its like if had plenty of money to do the job, I would be fine, its just when Im cutting it close its rough and gets me all stressed out. My GC is making things easier on me, hes renting me his backhoe for the week for cheap and delivering it, so that made me feel a lot better. I thought I was going to have to write united rentals a check for $1500. btw Ill post pictures when it happens.

  11. #11lets move dirt2010-02-05 19:23

    get used to it, it will get better as you do more jobs and gain more experience but will always be there, just keep your mind in what you are doing, be safe, be ready to deal with the unexpected, check things out personally, and roll with what you are handed with, you will do good

  12. #12Speedpup2010-02-06 09:26

    PPPPPP or proper planning prevents **** (_ i s s) pour production. After that you can do nothing else except be confident or try. Few butterflies will make you attentive.:drinkup

  13. #13Hendrik2010-02-07 04:55

    get it right, it's "pee poor production" unless you are pouring concrete

  14. #14ForsytheBros.2010-02-08 10:20

    And bid openings too! I get so nervous sometimes that i just drop off the paperwork and don't stick around for the reading of the bids.

  15. #15Daniel Boone2010-02-08 11:16

    I never get the butterflies about the job itself, I get the butterflies worrying about getting popped by D.O.T. on my way to and from the job.

  16. #16Hendrik2010-02-10 04:04

    Look, I worry about things that are underground, the machines and people that are around the work site. What is the point of worrying about things that are in the past? Once you done the bid, that's it, end of story. If you are gonna worry about every little thing, what is the point? Might as well work for someone else and let them do the worrying. Do your best and work safe, these are main words of advice. Life is short, do try and enjoy it somehow.

  17. #17Hendrik2010-02-10 04:11

    and why is this? Are you doing something illegal? Sort it out and no more worries. BTW your insurance company will more than likely not cover you if you transported machines illegally. Or in other words they will cover your stupidity but not your deliberate act of breaking the law.

  18. #18Daniel Boone2010-02-10 10:58

    No, I'm legal, its has just got so bad in Arizona, that you have to go to court for just having a side marker light not working! Then its wastes your morning/afternoon if you get stopped, and everyone knows that if you had a brand new rig, they could find at least ten things to write up on it if they wanted too!