Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

does this sound right… chain/track price

monkey ยท 2010-08-30 21:22

needing to redo the undercarriage on my D31. Checked on aftermarket chains.....Ummm is it chains, tracks or rails....heard them all used Anyway got a price on Berco and they were 1770.00 a side, the "no name brand"<whatever that means, was 1300.00 I think that was almost if not more than the price I got quoted from Cat for new chains for my Cat hoe, gonna check later on tonight on the estimate Just wondering if that sound right

Replies12
  1. #1monkey2010-08-30 21:34

    another question, looking over the estimate for the D31. The idlers are 819.00 each while the sprockets are 126.00 each......seems odd to me added it all up and to replace the chains, idlers, sprockets and rollers is 7400.00. The estimate from Cat to redo the udercarriage on my EL240B was 10500.00 and that was including labor. I wonder if genuine Komatsu parts would have been as much as the Berco

  2. #2QuickTrax2010-08-31 07:42

    What is the model of your D31. P, E, EX, PX????

  3. #3DanRooks2010-08-31 14:19

    Monkey, I guess you might be like me. I HATE surprises. This is especially true when it costs more than $1,000. This is why many people are going to Dynamic (changing) Life Cycle Costing.

  4. #4John C.2010-08-31 21:25

    Welcome to the world of Komatsu. The issue is that while it seems like there are a lot of these machines around, in terms of aftermarket parts numbers, there aren't enough machines to get the amount of manufacturing turns to bring down the prices. You do need to get prices for Komatsu parts but I'm sure they will be more. You should consider what you use this machine for, how many hours a year it gets used and your tolerance for down time should you have a problem with one of the new components. If you use it for yourself on your own property and do 500 hours or less a year, you might want to take the risk of using lesser expensive components. On the other hand if this is a main line machine that gets over 1,500 hours a year and other machines and crew will be sidelined on your payroll if it is down, then you probably should consider the manufacturers parts. Good Luck!

  5. #5ontrac2010-08-31 21:35

    Check with WFC Wilson Finley co. They can provide everything and ship free. My Case 850 used D4 chains and pads around 6500 for everything shipped.

  6. #6monkey2010-08-31 21:36

    Thank ya It's just used on my property, just something I play around on LOL, yes way less than 500 hrs a year I'm kinda torn between dumping that kind of money into it versus it's value before and after the rebuild. I would really like to step up to a D-5 or D-6, so thinking of maybe selling the 31 It's been a great machine and is really enough machine......mmmm, well those D-5's or D-6's with the LGP sure look like I could have even more fun

  7. #7ontrac2010-08-31 21:51

    What makes you think that a cat is better? Your 31 is a great all around machine. big enough for most stuff and small enough to haul and get in the tighter areas. You can probably get wider pads check your clearance. In your neck of the woods you might just need them. So is it a e ?

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2010-08-31 22:00

    With equipment prices what they are now due to the poor demand for machines, you will not likely recover the cost of the new chains when you sell it. If you are going to upgrade, sell your old one as is, and buy the replacement in the best condition you can afford. Right now there is not as much premium on a really good machine compared to a not so good one. It is definately a buyers market. Just remember that on the sale of your old one as well. Good luck

  9. #9monkey2010-08-31 22:05

    D31P already swapped out the swamp pads for 24" single grousers, that was a great improvement. It doesn't really have anything to do with one being better or even more practical, I already know the answer to that My wife tells me the only reason I want something bigger is because I must suffer from little man syndrome ointhead That and I tell her I need something with a cab , I've had to bail off it once because of some really pissed off hornets. And it does get hot down here in the summer

  10. #10ontrac2010-08-31 22:09

    I get it, my new one has a cab and the bees could not get me the other day that was great kinda forgot about that was looking more for the a/c and getting pounded by dirt and wind all day long. I would buy a super dozer if I thought i would not destroy my ten acres with it.

  11. #11FurakawaMatt2010-08-31 22:26

    Had that happen more than once. It has been one hot Summer here in Arkansas just north of your state. I am presently waiting to get some rain before doing anymore dozing. The dust just rises up and chokes me if I try right now. However, I never have used a cab on equipment through the years. Not sure if I would like one.

  12. #12monkey2010-08-31 22:32

    LOL Yeah I've been kind browsing around, shopping prices....dreaming really. I've seen some nice looking stuff in the 40,000 range...do I need one? NO, would I like one? Hell yeah Then the practical side of me tries to butt it's way in and tell me, 1) you don't need anything that big and 2) you redo the undercarriage on the 31 and it's gonna last you a long time, you buy another used machine and could end up spending quite a lot of money in repairs. The bigger they are the more they cost to repair. I'll probably end up redoing the 31, LOL as long as I don't go check out Ironplanet anymore :naughty