Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Does water / ice affect greased joints?

emmett518 ยท 2021-12-20 09:31

When I greased my backhoe in the summer after a rainstorm, sometimes water oozed out of the joint. What happens in the winter? We had a ton of rain, and then it froze. Can I still grease? How do I keep ice from cracking anything? Lumber prices are too high to build a pole barn yet.

Replies5
  1. #1Vetech632021-12-20 09:47

    If you grease often enough there shouldn't be any room for water to penetrate the area

  2. #2Delmer2021-12-20 11:35

    Ice and water won't do as much harm as dirt and grit. Ice won't hurt anything in any greased joint I can think of, at least any joint loose enough to let rain water run in.

  3. #3ianjoub2021-12-20 12:42

    Grease after use while warm instead of before use?

  4. #4James Sorochan2021-12-20 17:19

    Agreed with all said above. If its cold, keep your grease gun and tubes in a warm spot and grease it after you've warmed up the pins from operating. If you are running all the time in winter you could use an EP-0 or EP-1 grease which will pump easier.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2021-12-20 20:49

    There isn't enough water getting in to cause damage when it freezes