Got a new to me D6R today, nice solid machine. Only trouble is the door latch on the left cab door doesn't pull the door tight against the seal, so the door rattles while operating. I took a close look at it, and the latch pawl doesn't latch quite as tightly as the one on the other door. What can be done to tighten up the latch. Adjust? Replace latch? Other? Ken
Did you try to adjust the striker pin?
Yep, not much adjustment there. Not nearly enough to pull the door tight.
Replace latch.
Found this thread, we have the same problem on the RH door. Did you get it tightened up? Can't see any adjustment
Have you tried liberal amounts of WD40 on the latch mechanism..sometimes they don't move like they should. If that fixes it regular use of dry flim lube afterwards should keep it free.
Hi Pete, Yeah, IIRC I may have turned the pin to expose some unworn area. But the real cause for me was solved with some lube. I found the latch was only half latched. The latch was stiff with age and lack of lubrication. Lots of oil and a good slam fully latches it. Hope that helps.
There we were both posting the same answer at the same time ...............
Looks like the latch is closing, I will lube though and give it a try. Latch pin looks good, If all else fails I guess new weather seal should fix it.
Pete, try lubricating the hinges and the weather seal on the hinge side of the door with dry film lube as well as the latch mechanism. If lubricating the latch mechanism and the weather seal doesn't work it may need a new latch. These new-fangled ones are nothing more than a few bits of tin rivetted together.
Funny I have actually ran a D6R with an extremely loud rattling door. I'd either leave it open or shut something rubber in the door. I remember slamming doors does not always work because they bounce out and only half latch. So you would have to just pull it normal and it would catch correctly. That D6R door was unbelievably loud too. I too would have started a thread to find a solution. Glad it worked out.
I turned both latch pins 1/4 turn, they did have some wear once I put on my reading glasses and lubed the latches, all is quiet for now. Thanks all