Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Doosan?

wrc ยท 2018-02-10 20:52

I know most guys are going to say are going to say stick with the major brands. I know I would prefer to buy a komatsu, case/link belt, cat in that order. However they cost a lot more in my area for a comparable size/hour/shape machine. I am looking to unload my old 690 deers and replace it i was thinking a 160 class machine but I've located a cheap 140. (Or should i wait till i find a deal on a 160). It's not everything I'm looking for in a machine but for the $ I think it makes sense. I do mostly municipal sewer work throughout the year with a small amount of age work in the winter months. I was wondering if anyone here had ran a dx140lcr and if so what their opinion is the good the bad and the ugly. Or maybe you just have an opinion on doosan in general. I would like to keep to the facts tho and not bash it just because it's orange and not a major player. Heck john deere is one of the major players and I can say after owing my 690 I will never own another deere in my life.

Replies20
  1. #1Crummy2018-02-10 21:59

    The last job I drove excavator on a few years ago they had H&E rental Doosan's (a 180 & a 300) & a loader (I think it was a 300?) the only bad thing I remember was the QC's didn't work worth a darn on any of them. I did a lot swapping over to the compactor with the little one & it was good with that. Not much good info from me on long term owning one since they were new & rentals, but I liked them for operating. Since they were rentals I did a lot of things I wouldn't do if it was my machine (if you know what I mean) & they hung in there.

  2. #2excavator2018-02-10 22:03

    Alot of the loggers in our area have gone to Daewoo and seem to be happy with them. I don't know about construction. How are the parts and service in your area? Without either of them being good it doesn't matter how good of a deal you get. If it's broke down, and it will, and you can't get it repaired in a timely manner you have a problem. As far as your comment on Deere, the 690 was not their best machine and every manufacture has a dud once in awhile.

  3. #3wrc2018-02-10 22:12

    Not sure on parts available, the local dealer seems good but I imagine most parts will have to be ordered in. I'm not majorly concerned with a week's down time for repairs now and again as my large hoe sees less than 1200 hours yearly right now. As far as the 690 not being a good machine I can't say I agree the machine is OK no complaints there, but our local dealer is way below my standards. I once ordered in some track pins and got a up joint yolk when I told the guy at the parts counter there was no possible way that was the part I needed he replied with "well that's what my computer says you need so you will just have to make it work" actually come to think of it that's why I want rid of my 690 but I can't find Noone to buy it guess I am the only one who didn't know the dealers reputation in my area.

  4. #4excavator2018-02-10 22:34

    I supply all part numbers to dealers when ordering parts. Just makes life so much simpler. Their parts departments are going through the same thing everyone else is dealing with, hard to find good help. If a person actually shows up for work on time and passes a drug test they have a job whether they know anything or not. For many of them it's just a paycheck and they could care less about the customer.

  5. #5mowingman2018-02-11 08:43

    About 4 years ago, my son-in-law bought a used Daewoo/Doosan 140. It had about 6000 hours on it at that time. It was his first big machine, and he has used it on all kinds of dirt jobs on a regular basis, since then. He really likes the machine, and has had very few issues with it. I believe he has about 10,000 hours on it now. There has been no problem getting parts, although he rarely needs any. Overall, a tough and dependable machine. It is about time for him to add a second excavator, and he says it will be another Doosan.

  6. #6terex herder2018-02-11 08:51

    If it would make you feel better about a Deere, the newer Deere hoes are really Hitachi. The older units like yours are why Deere had to get into bed with Hitachi, as they found out there is a world of difference between the hydraulic system on a 4020 tractor and a hoe. If you don't like Murphy, let us know how well you get along with Sellers.

  7. #7Inthedirt422018-02-11 13:06

    We have 3 doosan machines. Two 235 hoes and 250 loader. Been good machines with no major issues. Under 5000 hours on the hoes and the loader is about 1500

  8. #8wrc2018-02-11 13:25

    Wow I'm surprised by all the good reviews these machines are getting from everyone who is responding. Makes me think I need to give doosan a fair shot. I was just worried because I can't think of a single contractor here that I've seen running them. And I did rent a doosan skid steer about 10 years ago but that's my only experience with doosan. Thanks guys now just to decide if I can live with a 140 class machine.

  9. #9hvy 1ton2018-02-11 15:09

    If you have a long arm 690 now, a 140 will have a much smaller operating envelope.

  10. #10wrc2018-02-11 15:21

    That's what my concern is. A 690 should equal a 160 by today's numbers? I think

  11. #11hvy 1ton2018-02-11 15:37

    690 is 160 size. Do you know what size stick you have? You won't loose much going from a short stick 690. Maybe some bucket size if you are running a big bucket on the 690.

  12. #12wrc2018-02-11 15:55

    I'd have to measure my stick I think it's 9'6" if memory serves me right. I'm running a 36" general purpose bucket with a set of side cutters. My goal would be to have a light duty 42 or 48" bucket on the new machine for bulking and loading trucks and a 24 or 30" trenching bucket with a quick coupler for fast changes. Down the road I'd like to buy a hammer for it as well as my current machine is not plumed for one so I must break everything with my e45 or 331

  13. #13Tones2018-02-11 17:05

    A mate of mine had 7 Hitachis, all 24 tonners, all purchased new. All of them had problems and Hitachi wouldn't repair under warranty so a **** fight ensued about 100000 worth. He got so feed up he ditched the lot a replaced them in 1 week with Doosans, reckoned it was the best move he'd made. Over here you get the same hourly rate for a Doosan as any other big name excavators without paying out a stupid amount of dollars just to satisfy an ego. All the Doosans I have seen have ancillary plumbing as standard.

  14. #14hvy 1ton2018-02-11 17:43

    9'6" would be the long stick for a 690. Found a pdf for the 140. Lists 3 stick sizes 6'11, 8'3", and 9'10". Assuming the 140 you are looking at has the 8'3 stick, you'll be loosing 4' of trenching depth and 5' of reach at ground level. Recommended bucket size for the 8'3 stick and 1600 kg/m3 which is right around the density of dry clay is a 36" bucket. Fourth row is the ~36" bucket. http://doosan.bg/Broshures/CE/DX140LC-EN.03-10.lr.pdf

  15. #15cuttin edge2018-02-11 17:45

    No Doosan hoes around here, but there are 3 or 4 loaders. We have been having great luck with Linkbelt. In the last 3 summers they have bought 2 new 14.5 spin aces, a new 235 to replace our 320 and a new 350. So far so good

  16. #16Tags2018-02-11 19:22

    I thought a 590 was a 150/160 size and a 690 was a 200 size. If it is a 200 size a 140 would be a pretty sizeable step down. As a side note, a local paving contractor has always had Deere machines and recently got rid of a wheeled Deere excavator and replaced it with a Doosan, they seem happy with it. Also a local wood recycling outfit got all Doosan machines to replace their Cat stuff, probably was a cost thing when it came to replacing with Cat equipment.....

  17. #17245dlc2018-02-12 13:09

    Yes the Deere 690 is the same size as a 200, the 590 is the same size as a 160, the 490 is the same size as a 140. I have also been seeing a growing number of Doosan's in my area or at least in the city not that far away many of them however have been wheeled units. And a few wheel loaders. These days none of the big outfits stock any parts or at least very few and I'm talking about outfits like Cat and Deere that use to boast about next day delivery b.s. I think the big issue these days for reliability is the over reliance on electronic controls and this tier 4 bullsh!t. We had lots of trouble with our Kobelco SK210 Mark 9 because of this but we did manage to find a company selling an electronic bypass so we don't have all the DEF issues we use to and can actually use the machine in the winter now. But we have had issues with the electronic control system and have had a hose that goes from the engine oil filter to the engine leak on us, and the fuel filter housing pissing out fuel but I guess that's what you get with a Fiat Iveco engine instead of the Hino they normally use. So I'd say your probably going to be alright with the Doosan but a 140 will not have the reach your old 690 does but it will certainly be more compact and be able to get in to tighter places. And also be easier to transport around. It would be nice to know how the Doosan serves you if you do go ahead and buy it.

  18. #18hvy 1ton2018-02-12 15:07

    I thought the 790 was the 200 class? I know there has been tonnage creep over the years but a 690D is only 38,000 pounds.

  19. #19245dlc2018-02-12 19:14

    790 was more like a 220 or 230. Yeah tonnage keeps changing but engine size with Deere at least hasn't changed a lot. But I also don't go by the imperial pound like you guys do in the U.S. the Asian and European manufacturers have everything calibrated in the metric system so your dealing with kilograms or tonnes. So a model 200 excavator is a 20 tonne machine, an 850 is an 85 tonne machine etc. etc. It's a far simpler system.

  20. #20wrc2018-02-13 23:00

    Well guys thanks for all the help here. I decided to go ahead and purchase the machine pending a demo. Went in today check book in hand and got told sorry, just sold that machine to a farmer yesterday. It's either a blessing or I missed a sweet deal. The machine only had 4300 hours and minimal scratching in the paint so I know it was original for the price of 32,500. Well I guess there will be more maybe I'll find that 160 I really want.