Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DOT INSPECTIONS – insane

PROCUT1 · 2009-10-30 15:42

Around here you cant seem to go 100 feet anymore without getting stopped. The state police are all over doing mobile DOT stops. They have their regular checkpoints that used to only be open a couple times a month, are now open just about everyday. Theyre out at night which a couple years ago was unheard of. Also MANY local police departments sent officers to DOT school and have their own inspection units set up. Its common to be pulled over 3 or 4 times in a day for an inspection by different agencies or troopers. This is not about safety. Having been in emergency services for years as well as towing, an accident caused by an "unsafe truck" was a rare occurrence. Yes, it did happen. But I can count on maybe two hands the number of times Ive seen it in 10 or more years, and Im at a major hub for trucking. Some may say its because DOT is doing their job. But I would think if that were the case, there would have been a lot more accidents years ago when I never even heard of DOT. Heck, the first time I was pulled over for a DOT inspection maybe 5 years ago, I didnt even know what one was. I kept asking why I was pulled over, I wasnt speeding or anything. He said "inspection" I said "Just had it done, look at the sticker" I was completely puzzled looking at a state trooper in overalls on a creeper under my little dump truck. This has very little to do with safety. You can inspect a brand new truck and write a ticket for something if you want to. They might as well stand there with a cash register instead. Its a direct target on small business too. Look at who they pull over and inspect. Its all local small businesses. And its not usually junk that you see pulled in there. I never see trucking companies in there, they get waved through. Same as any of the larger companies in the area with political power. The monster garbage company, the large developers. They get waved right by. I am all for getting junk off the road. Yet its frustrating for me to sit there getting my empty 2006 Ford with 20,000 miles inspected, while I watch guys with one ton dumps hauling 5 yards of topsoil towing a skidsteer drive by.

Replies114
  1. #1PROCUT12009-10-30 15:58

    Here was a fun one not too long ago that reminded me of this. I tow part time as a backup for a couple of companies in my area. I had a newer model, perfect condition, international flatbed from one of the companies at my house. This truck is far from a rat trap and maintained to a T. I get an accident call from state police rotation for a one car rollover in the middle of and blocking a major intersection. I jump in the truck to head over there. Going through the toll booth, I get flagged into the DOT stop. As soon as the trooper comes up to the truck I told him i was just dispatched by state police, and told him the nature of the call. On the rotation we have to be on scene in a maximum of 30 minutes but in reality you better be there quicker or you will have a ticked off trooper. As it was I live 15 minutes from the scene. Well the DOT trooper didnt care and started his full inspection. Meanwhile state police calls my cellphone from the accident asking me my eta and to expedite as it was rush hour and traffic was blocked for miles. I told them on the phone that I was pulled over.....But I made it sound like I was going to be there quick so they didnt cancel my call and give it to someone else. They called 10 minutes later again, while I was still sitting there and I asked the trooper who was doing the inspection to get on the phone with the dispatcher....He refused. I told her I would be there any minute.....Still wanted to keep the call going.... Well finally about 10 minutes later I got released from the inspection with NO VIOLATIONS. An hour and 12 minutes from the time of dispatch I made it to the scene. The trooper on the scene was having a fit. Went on and on about the 30 minute rule and what a nightmare I caused. I handed him the "inspection report" and showed the time that I was pulled over which was 6 minutes after my dispatch and less than 10 minutes from the scene. I said....Sorry pal....Wasnt me......Talk to your fellow trooper..... He said, I should have called and given the call to the next on the rotation. I replied....."State police called me to do my job. Because State Police also decided to delay me from doing my job, Im not ALSO going to lose the money from the job I was asked to do and was trying to do" The whole thing was silly. The DOT trooper could have looked at my truck for 2 minutes and saw it was fine, knowing where I was going, instead of doing the 45 minute inspection. The truck is so clean I want to take my shoes off before I get in it. If you dropped a buttered roll on the engine, you could pick it up and eat it......Come on.

  2. #2PROCUT12009-10-30 16:07

    The whole thing has created a mess. My boss billed the hour I sat at DOT as "standby time" which is entitled under the contract. The vehicle owners insurance company is fighting the charge. They wont pay the charge to release the vehicle. The owner wants the car, my boss told the insurance company to work it out with the state police. He billed exactly within the rules of the contract. The trooper at the accident filed a complaint because of the response time. My boss answered in writing that he wanted a meeting with the Police boss, the on scene trooper, and the DOT trooper at the same time to address the complaint. Im out of town, so I couldnt go. But the meeting is going on right now. I wish I was there. Im dying for the boss to call me when hes done. I took notes the entire time from start to finish. Wrote down exactly what I said to the trooper, exactly what he said to me, exactly what time I said it. Every time the dispatcher called. Every time I reminded the DOT trooper of the nightmare traffic condition. The exact time I left the house, the time of the call, the time I arrived at DOT, the time I left, the time I arrived on scene. I had 2 pages of notes that they have in the meeting right now. So there is going to be one of two outcomes. Either DOT is going to use a little discretion in a future situation like this........Or Im not going to be able to drive 10 feet down the road without a trooper behind me....haha

  3. #3j&d2009-10-30 17:40

    Good story. Please keep us updated on the outcome of the meeting. I believe it has to do with the economy. Our little local newspaper has a lot of violations printed on the back page for speeding, seat belts, and you name it. Revenue is way down, cuts are being made, budgets slashed, and in turn some people are trying to save and justify their jobs by writing tickets. I don't see much DOT cause I'm in the middle of nowhere but the state troopers in this state are thick. Our governor recently announced downsizing of the state police due to budget constraints. Hope the meeting goes well. Careful now ruffling those feathers. Good luck Jeff

  4. #4nedly052009-10-31 05:06

    I feel your pain on the DOT inspections PROCUT, It must be a NY thing, you never hear too much complaining from guys in other sates. I live in a town of 1000 people, we never go out of town to work, just to get gravel and such,and I've been stopped 5 times this season. Once the inspectors go to know me,and our trucks, they have become more lenient and the last 2 times they have waved me in, but come over and told me to have a nice day. Thats a good feeling! The first three times though, they made sure I left with some sort of paperwork!

  5. #5darinray2009-10-31 10:35

    Was stopped in a truck stop my PENN DOT and told me to follow him to the scales so i did. Well they hit me with a $1474 overweight ticket when in reality it was a paper overweight. You see in NY we register our truck and trailer seperate... F550 17,500 pounds...22,500 trailer... Well my total weight was like 29,000 or so and he said I was 11,500 pounds over my truck registered. WHAT? My scale ticket showed that ALL my axles were way below the ratings but still because my truck was registered like the tractor trailers combine weight I got this ticket. I explained that I was a small (small) business and couldn't afford this and the court said we can put you on a payment plan. So anyway $1474 later I then registered my F550 for 40,000 pounds. Mind you after talking with NYS DOT and confirming they are correct... If a PA driver comes into NY without the trailer registered separately he gets a $300 fine. NOT even close to be fair. Like stated I'm totally for the SAFETY part of DOT but paper like this is BS. I wouldn't complain (as bad) if I was actually over weight and un safe but come on. Darin

  6. #6bill onthehill2009-10-31 14:57

    They have a rest stop on 15 south of Corning they use a lot lately. On westbound I-86 they randomly pull trucks over and have them follow them to a shopping center west of Corning so the word does not get out as quick on the radio about it. They do the same thing eastbound on I-86 and use the old Walmart parking lot just past the airport. Funny thing is I have never seen any local trash haulers stopped at any of them. They are a big outfit with political ties to Albany. They love to get guys with lawn services and small equipment on tags.

  7. #7OneWelder2009-10-31 15:52

    dariray i am curious do you have a fifth wheel hitch ?- when does fifth wheel go from pick up to tractor trailer? does this mean you reg trk . for wight , and do not have to reg. trailer for wight ?

  8. #8lars2009-10-31 22:15

    Onewelder, You are correct that you register the truck for weight and not the trailer in PA. So when registering a truck in PA you want to register it at your GCWR, not your GVWR if you plan on pulling a trailer. All the registration cost is in the truck - you can register a trailer permanently for around $200. There is a catch - this kicks in when the trailer rated at 10,001# or more. If the trailer is 10k or less, you only have to register the truck GVWR. This is regardless of trailer type - you can find a few 10k goosenecks out there for those wanting to keep costs down.

  9. #9nedly052009-11-01 05:14

    You would think that 2 neighboring states like NY/PA would have some sort of common laws for this sort of stuff, how in the heck do the cross country truckers stay in compliance with all of the laws with each state having there own laws??? What do you guys on the NY/PA border do, if you get a job in PA?

  10. #10OneWelder2009-11-01 08:27

    I am wondering if this is a overlooked situation by many of us - or least many of us who are older and have not kept up . I have never had goose neck style trailer- but in NH a ball or pintle hitch trailer was reg. for weight, but Tractor trailers - trailer just paid the price of pl.. truck was reg for weight - with ball or pintle both truck and trailer are reg. for weight even though you could or had to reg for more than legal limit - you could not haul more than legal limit- ie truck reg 50000+trailer reg 50000 can not haul 100000 with out special permits I do not know how goos neck would be reg. in this state

  11. #11tuney4432009-11-01 10:10

    Well,the very good news is that they just recently lost much funding---got this from a very reliable source.I was wondering why they haven't been 2-3 days a week on the Highland side of the Mid-Hudson Bridge--they're gone and good riddens--that young punk cost me over $1800 in unnecessary tires and fines 2 Winters ago.They will still be at the old DOT garage on the Southbound side of 9W just North of Highland once in a while along with the present DOT garage South of 84 on Rt 9 in Fishkill.Not sure of the Thruway ramp in New Paltz.

  12. #12nedly052009-11-01 15:21

    Please do tell more on the loss of funding! I have to go to Parksville soon to pick up an evaporator (for making maple syrup), have to get off in Kingston I think and take 209 out toward Monticello. Im taking the 1 ton and 7 ton trailer, where do i need to be looking??

  13. #13tuney4432009-11-01 20:12

    Hey Nedly,been a while. You're going to my roots over in Parksville--my Aunt and Uncle still live there.I was born 1 town over in Liberty.Anyway,I'm assuming you're coming down the Thruway,which is prime DOT country to start with.If I were you,I'd make this move after DOT hours--usually after 4PM is safe and before 7AM.I've never gone that way to Parksville,being I live in Dutchess County so let me look at the map as I'm drawing a blank right now for the safest way.

  14. #14nedly052009-11-02 00:50

    Thank ya sir!, maybe I should just rent a u-haul truck, they dont bother to stop them, no worrys then!

  15. #15texascadillac422009-11-03 20:34

    I have heard nightmare stories about the NY DOT. It always makes me nervous when I haul anything through there. Its always my equipment or vehicles and not commercial in anyway, but it is usually being towed by a 1 ton dually, with a 32ft gooseneck which makes it look fishy when there are no DOT numbers on the side. The only place I go in NY is Dutchess county, which has one of the stronger DOT presences in the state from what I understand.

  16. #16nedly052009-11-03 21:09

    I got it again today, level 1 roadside, everything in order except a slack adjuster 1/8" out of adjustment. :Banghead

  17. #17Grader4me2009-11-04 05:04

    Did they fine you for only one slack adjustor out of adjustment?? I thought if only one was out they would let you off. Now, I guess I'm thinking Canadian here though..

  18. #18nedly052009-11-04 06:25

    No fine, not out of service, just has to be fixed before next dispatch. Our policy is to go back to the shop ASAP, and correct the problem that day. My next trip they were gone, but if he would have stopped me I was totally legal!!!

  19. #19PROCUT12009-11-04 14:46

    Tuney They were on the mid hudson and newburgh beacon on monday.

  20. #20PROCUT12009-11-04 14:57

    Outcome from the meeting As expected there was an official and unofficial statement. The State police boss was really cool and totally saw the stupidity of the situation. The complaint against the towing company was retracted by the on scene officer. The reason for the in-person meeting was to work this out face to face as nobody technically was wrong. The DOT trooper technically was following the law and didnt do anything wrong by keeping the truck. However, he was pretty red-faced in the meeting and was told that he "has officer discretion" for a reason. He apologized to the on-scene officer and to my boss and stated that he realizes he was being a ***** and should have let it go. The on-scene trooper who filed the complaint, retracted the complaint after hearing the whole story and didnt have too much to say. He did compliment the towing company for being "the best in the area" and he was really surprised that something like this happened as he has a lot of experience with the towing company and the response times and work is always awesome. My boss conceded that during the urgent situation was not the time to get into a pissing match and that he should have dispatched another truck and then dealt with this problem after the road was cleared. That I agree with too. So it was basically On scene trooper: Under stress with road closed and no tow truck.....Rightfully mad DOT trooper: Bad day, was being a ****, realized it, and will use better discretion in future Towing boss: Should have got the job done and dealt with these games later Me: I WAS THE GOOD BOY!!! Respectful to both troopers, no personal complaints against me, both said I was respectful. I followed everyones orders including my boss. Dispatcher: Should have just called next on the towing list instead of waiting an hour Trooper boss: Didnt have to do anything but let the 3 guys at the table talk it out. Overall.....I think it went good

  21. #21BoomerFF3732009-11-04 20:57
  22. #22nedly052009-11-04 21:52
  23. #23tuney4432009-11-05 01:18

    OK---Just reporting from a reliable source what I heard.Personally,driving just my pickup across the bridge and a friend who commutes every weekday from Highland to Poughkeepsie,we haven't seen them in about a month.So there must have been some truth to that story.Maybe,they found some money or they're just shuffling around the few teams still in the area.

  24. #24PROCUT12009-11-05 01:28

    I havent seen them on the Mid hudson in a while. I work in Highland and commute from newburgh so im usually in orange county. I had a truck I didnt want to chance on the Newburgh Beacon on Monday so I went up and over the Mid Hudson and they were set up on the Highland bound side with a full house. Thank god I was going the other way.

  25. #25nedly052009-11-05 07:00

    Man that does bad things to your heart when you see them set up!!!!!

  26. #26tuney4432009-11-05 08:28

    Nedly---You know as well as anyone---YOU ARE NEVER TOTALLY LEGAL WITH THE DEP'T OF TROUBLE!!! Thats like the good looking farm girl who tells her dad--''Well pa,I'm just a little pregnant.''

  27. #27BoomerFF3732009-11-05 11:06

    The DOT likes to either sit along 209 between Kingston and Ellenville as well as they patrol the area and will pull you over and find a spot and tell you pull off there and they will do their inspection

  28. #28PROCUT12009-11-05 15:02

    Something about the whole DOT thing seems wrong. To me it feels like the cops searching your house randomly to see if you are doing anything wrong. We already have yearly safety inspections. If they are really concerned about safety, why not make the inspections every 6 months or even every quarter? Its just plain and simple about money. Safely has little or nothing to do about it. If it was about safety, the inspectors would be more of educators than just ticket machines. Have something tied down wrong? Show the driver how to do it right. Without the tickets and fines. Its just crazy that a local business trying to make a living, has to constantly get subjected to this crap. I am all for getting unsafe trucks off the road. And that could be accomplished in other ways than this. But sitting on the side of the road for an hour 2 or 3 times a week while someone's only mission is to try to find anything they can to suck money out of your pocket is crazy. Just thinking about a route I took. The locals will know this. Pougkeepsie to middletown to kingston. Village of wappingers, local police has a very aggressive DOT unit almost 24/7 So hopefully you make it through that 1 square mile that has more cops than trucks. Then there is a few miles down on rt 9 where more times than not they are set up at the DOT yard. Then the village of fishkill that once a month or so has a setup in the plaza on main st. This is all within 5 square miles. Then go across I-84 and make it past the mobile guy who sometimes sits opposite the checkpoint going the other direction at the tollbooths. Then make it past exit 5 with the mobile trooper based out of montgomery who likes to hang on 84 between newburgh and maybrook. Then another couple miles is the checkpoint at the rest area thats open 40% of the time. Get to middletown another couple of miles away and there is the mobile unit that hangs out on rt 17. Deliver there Go back the other way on 84 to 9w. Town of marlboro has their own DOT unit that just started. So make it past the old Dickies diner where they get you. Get up to highland and hopefully the checkpoint on 9w isnt open. Avoid the mobile guys between highland and kingston. When you get to kingston, and go through the traffic circle hopefully you make it past the practically permanent checkpoint at the thruway exit. Thats taking 9w the local road. If you want to take the thruway, you are almost guaranteed to have a trooper at the newburgh entrance and if you make it past him, you wont make it past the checkpoint at the kingston exit. Now...Not all of these are staffed all the time. But I make this run enough to see that MANY times it seems like dam near all of them are. I dont know where they get the manpower. Without exaggeration I have been stopped 4+ times in one day and all within a 35-30 minute radius of my starting point. You cant tell me this is anything other than an ATM for the state.

  29. #29Sam2009-11-05 20:43

    The dollar is fiat. The .gov has no money: federal, state & local. That includes the FDIC. Only a couple of states are solvent. Search municide, and see if anything pops up. With revenues shrinking & costs rising, they gotta get their money from somewhere. And .gov ain't got nothing, what they didn't steal. It is hard to escape the idea that what we are witnessing, is the de-construction of the Republic.

  30. #30tuney4432009-11-05 20:58

    Procut---I feel your pain but I don't understand a few things.I never heard of a Wappinger DOT unit---I always thought by us,it's always the State Police although I've heard rumors of the DC Sheriffs Dep't. has a DOT unit.Nevertheless,I'm always in Wapp.--never seen them or ever been stopped.If you're going South on RT 9 to get to 84,why not just get off on 84 west in Fishkill? Why would you go through the village on 52 or pass 84 by going furthur South on 9 only to go furthur than you need to and then run right into the DOT???Maybe I'm missing something here or you have to travel like this for some reason. Anyway,if I know the DOT is at their station there on 9 in Fishkill,I will outfox them by taking that long dirt road all the way around them.When I was fueling up once at the Hess station there,a DOT officer getting lunch there looked like he was actually salivating when he saw my loaded dump truck,thinking I was going South right into his trap.He must have been wondering why I didn't come through--so sorry to ruin his day.

  31. #31Steve Frazier2009-11-05 22:19

    Wappingers Village has a very active DOT unit, they set up at Home Depot quite often.

  32. #32nedly052009-11-06 04:39

    Thanks for the good info! PROCUT, I totally agree about the inspections every 6 months or every quarter. It sure seems like way more time elapses than what they show on the inspection report. It always seems like closer to an hour, and they show the inspection only lasting about 25-30 minutes. Maybe its just me??? Tuney, I know they will always find something to get you for. We had an old tandem we sold for 10 grand, because every time we went through DOT we got tickets. Now we have a tandem we payed close to 90 grand for and we still get tickets, although not as many and not as severe we still get them. Its to a point now where we talked about having a real mechanic come twice a month or so and looking everything over and helping make sure we are in good shape. At least the fix-it tickets dont result in a fine, although an excavator the next town over runs two well maintaned tri-axles.They have gotten stopped like 23 times this year. He got a warning letter from the state that the fix-it tickets accumulate points in Albany and after a certain amount of points they pull your registration as they think you are not maintaining your trucks properly. I would like to think that wouldnt happen, but you never know in this great state.:Banghead

  33. #33Steve Frazier2009-11-06 10:02

    Here's a couple for Tuney: I attended an open house at a local upfitter where a NYSP DOT inspector had a booth to answer questions. He admitted he could go to a brand new truck and find something wrong with it. there's a math formula for calculating the length of mudflaps believe it or not, some kind of ratio having to do with the length and distance from the tire. Crazy! I'm convinced it's about job security myself, plus the revenue generating from some of the local stories I've heard told. I've been impounded once, I hope I don't have to go through that again!

  34. #34OneWelder2009-11-06 10:16

    Lucky us in N.H. we have both two inspections per year and roadside checks get to many citations and you trigger a safety audit- when that happens their like the IRS. it it will cost - they dig and use obscure rules - such as toll receipts not in the drivers file.

  35. #35PROCUT12009-11-06 21:29

    I know I ranted before, and yes, I take routes to try to avoid them.....When I was typing it was a bad day..haha It just bugs me that this is a money making thing under the guise of safety. In reality its not about safety. Now Im the first to admit, yes I complain because I run older trucks. I dont run anything big. The biggest thing I run is a ford F-700 rackbody. Ive since sold anything bigger because I can get guys with tri-axles for 50-60 an hour, so its not worth me trucking 2 yards of topsoil even. Im in the blacktop maintenance business so I run a lot of combination stuff. Smaller 1 ton and under trucks with various trailers and such. DOT focuses on small contractors around here. Whereas I understand that in years past guys used to get away with a lot with the smaller trucks, it just seems overkill at this point. I dont run junk and though we get stopped a lot, very very rarely do we get a summons. So Im not complaining about getting tickets or Red tags. But as a business owner, to have 2 rigs sometimes with 10 employees sitting at a checkpoint for an hour or more, gets expensive. And then if there is some stupid minor problem, yet its an OOS violation, like some lightbulbs are, to take even longer for me to send the service truck out, or stop what Im doing to go out and change a light. It just sucks that you have to be constantly on-edge while youre on the road doing your job, even when youre doing nothing wrong

  36. #36tuney4432009-11-06 22:36

    So besides being wary of the original black and whites in Wappingers,now I have to worry about the other black and whites in Wappingers.Wonderful.I guess I've just had the great fortune so far of never being in their radar.What I don't understand though is if they're called the NYS DOT,why then are local cops getting involved????

  37. #37nedly052009-11-07 05:24

    Must be the Village of Wappingers feels it will be a money maker or they wouldnt be doing it. I feel that it should be something left up to SP, let them handle it, and the Village, Town and County Law Enforcement can just do regular cop stuff.

  38. #38grandpa2009-11-07 05:32

    Dont you guys think this country is headed towards a revoultion soon? I for one am getting sick and tired of paying for some lazy bas....d making a living off me.....

  39. #39Steve Frazier2009-11-07 11:55

    DCSO has a DOT unit which was active a couple years ago, I haven't seen them out in quite a while now. East Fishkill Police were putting a unit together, but I think there was too much outcry from area businesses, I never saw them with a road check. I know Westchester County has their own DOT inspectors as well as Nassau County. Years ago I ran asphalt for a local paving company and would get pulled over by a State DOT cop once in a while. He'd pull the scales out of the trunk and I'd be weighed, then he'd write an overweight ticket for $200. He'd say "See you in a couple months" and send me on my way. That was the way it used to be, the boss called it "paying dues", every contractor would get a ticket every couple months and that was it.

  40. #40tuney4432009-11-07 12:42

    I have no issue regarding safety.But what is happening is just pure unadultrated BS!!!--If true safety was on our lawmaker's minds,then cars,light trucks,and ALL motor homes{ESPECIALLY HUGE DIESEL PUSHERS],WOULD be subject to the same mindless,intrusive,arrogant spot inspections we have to endure.Hell,I remember when cops had roadside inspections just for sticker compliance and a cop would actually give your tires a look-see.They don't even do that anymore.If I could afford it,I'd transport my iron in a custom made huge RV,all gutted out,all set up with hydraulic ramps and just smile at those bastards as I drive by.

  41. #41nedly052009-11-07 18:47

    LMAO, I love it. Now you've got me thinkin!!!

  42. #42Extendahoe2009-11-07 20:44

    I see alot of upset folks here and rightfully so... I'm new to the forum here. I'm a certified DOT inspector.... theres alot going on here that you may not know and yes it is unfortunate for good folks just trying to make a living. I've been with State Police for 10 Years... I get discouraged because of what I'm ask to do. Folks I'm on your side here... I've worked in construction most of my life... just joined this forum because I was thinking of buying a backhoe... that was one of my many jobs years ago an equipment operator.... Got to go for now, i will be back soon. Hey, i'll have to admit I'm a little nervous admitting to being an inspector so take it easy on me guys.. LOL I will be glad to share anything with anyone here and I promise to shoot you straight.

  43. #43darinray2009-11-07 23:51

    Oops didn't see this question until now. yes I have a goosneck hitch (ball) and I HAVE to reg both truck and trailer here in NY. But to be compliant in all States i had to up my combine GVW of my truck to 40,000 pounds. Darin

  44. #44MJB12009-11-08 05:49

    wow, just read this topic & it seems you chaps are all over the place on weights & stuff , sorry i'm english but does this mean each state has their own individual laws & interpretations on how trucks are weighed & taxed ? over here we're taxed & weighed acording to axle configuration i drive a VOLVO FM12 440hp 3axle unit with a 2 axle trailer which gives me a gross of 40 tons although i could be taxed to run at 41t, to run at our maximum 44t we need a 3axle unit & 3axle trailer , & this covers the whole country , although like you we are obliged to stop & follow for weighing if asked,it's rare to be overloaded nowadays but it can happen , but as long as it's within 5% of you GVW a fine can be issued , i have a weigher on my trailer so ive no excuse to be overloaded .

  45. #45MJB12009-11-08 05:53

    must add that much of our roadside stops are for roadworthyness of the vehicle & tachograph checks to make sure the driver has kept track of his driving hours & rest breaks , if you get caught for tacho offences thats when the crap hits the fan !

  46. #46nedly052009-11-08 06:22

    Would you write a ticket for a brake 1/8 ouy of adjustment, or just mention it to the driver, and tell him to adjust it when he got back to the shop for the day?

  47. #47Grader4me2009-11-08 07:37

    Welcome to the forum Extendahoe...:drinkup No worries as we have a great bunch of people here. Be nice to hear views from the other side of the coin so to speak. I'm sure you will get lots of questions, and I for one like the phrase "I promise to shoot you straight" Enjoy the forum.

  48. #48nedly052009-11-08 10:17

    Extendahoe, may I capitalize on your knowledge? I know what they do, and look for during the level 1 and level 2 inspections, but is there anything published (or can you just tell me) that i can access so that when I am doing my routine maintenance I can look at it and know that my brakes are in adjustment, i dont have too much steering play... That way I can be confident that I have done the best I can and not forgotten something, a checklist so to speak. I will tell you all I know about backhoes if you help me, I promise!!!

  49. #49Extendahoe2009-11-08 18:24

    Would I write a ticket for a brake 1/8 out "no way" and if you got a tic.. for that then that totally uncalled for. All inspectors are "supposed" to be going by the same guide book and that the Out Of service Criteria with states what is and isnt a out of service item. I wouldnt even mention and 1/8 inch.. omg .

  50. #50Extendahoe2009-11-08 18:32

    Check with fmcsa Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration online I haven't been on their site in a while... possibly the info your looking for may be there. I have with me all the things your asking about but I dont have anyway of uploading that to this forum.. thats alot of info... is there an area in particular your interested in... I'll try to help in any way i can... meanwhile I will go to the fmcsa site myself and see if that info is there or i may can find you a check list... if i cant and you dont have a particular area your concerned about then I can give you a good guide to go over when you do your walk around or you maint.

  51. #51nedly052009-11-08 18:51

    He didnt put me OOS, but he had to write me for something i guess?? I've been trying to keep up with thing to get my CVSA decal or as we call it "good boy sticker" but everytime I get a level one I get some piddly little ticket. Last time the brake hose to the right rear chamber was touching on the frame crossmember when loaded, it wasnt event chafed, just marked a little. I had no problem with fixing that, but did I need to get a ticket for it?? I guess so! I'm just looking for an outline of what needs to be done so I dont miss anything. I would like to get my "good boy sticker" one of these times. It would be really nice to pull out of there with no tickets, and a decal! Thanks for your help!

  52. #52Extendahoe2009-11-08 19:03

    The following are some links i found real quick on line.... may not be what you want but may help somebody. http://www.dot.gov/affairs/cbtsip/inspchecklist.htm http://www.pdfgeni.com/book/annual-dot-truck-inspection-checklist-pdf.html http://www.dmv.org/ Got the following from an online source,, some inspectors go directly from a book with guides like the following.... personally I know where 98% of defects are found so I dont use a guide of al list anymore, the following will give you an idea of the things to be mindful of... Why do they normally pull you over if you are travelling down the road? What are they looking for, to want to pull you over? Or what gives them a reason to do this? Tail light out? Headlight out? 1)• Observe the driver’s overall condition for illness, fatigue or other signs of impairment. 2)• Check for illegal presence of alcohol, drugs, weapons or other contraband. 4. Interview Driver • Ask for the following from the driver: starting location, final destination, load description, time traveled, most recent stop, fueling location(s). • Talk to the driver about the trip. 5. Collect the Driver’s Documents • Medical Examiner’s Certificate (if applicable). • Skill Performance Evaluation (SPE) Certificate (if applicable). • Driver’s license, CDL, record of duty status. • Shipping papers. • Periodic inspection certificates, CVIP. • Supporting documents: bills of lading, receipts, other documents used to verify record of duty status. 6. Check for the Presence of Hazardous Materials/Transportation of Dangerous Goods • Check shipping papers, placards, any leaks or spills, unsecured cargo, markings and labels. 7. Identify the Carrier • Identify carrier using the following: vehicle identification, vehicle registration, insurance, driver interview. 8. Examine Driver’s License • Expiration date • Class • Endorsements • Restrictions • Status 9. Check Medical Examiner’s Certificate and Skill Performance Evaluation (SPE) Certificate • Check certificate date (valid for 24 months). • Check corrective lens requirement. • Check hearing aid requirement. • Check physical limitations. 10. Check Record of Duty Status • Hours of Service verification. • 100 Air-Mile radius or 160 KM radius exemption. • Accuracy of record. 11. Review Driver’s Daily Vehicle Inspection Report (If Applicable) • Ensure the inspection report describes the identity of the vehicle and the presence of deficiencies/defects. • Check for driver signature on previous inspection reports. 12. Review Periodic Inspection Report • Ensure vehicle has passed the required inspection and has the required documents and decals. 13. Prepare Driver for Vehicle Inspection • Explain the vehicle inspection procedure. • Advise the driver in the use of hand signals. • Check chock blocks. • Prepared the vehicle, vehicle transmission in neutral. Engine off, key must be in the “on” position and release all brakes. • Instruct diver to remain at the controls. 14. Inspect Front of Tractor • Check headlamps and turn signals (do not use four way flashers to check turn signals) for improper color, operation, mounting and visibility. • Check windshield wipers for improper operation (two wipers are required unless one can clean the driver’s field of vision). 15. Inspect Left Front Side of Tractor • Check left front wheel, rim, hub and tire. 16. Inspect Left Saddle Tank Area • Check left fuel tank area. • Check exhaust system. 17. Inspect Trailer Front • Check air and electrical lines. 18. Check Left Rear Tractor Area • Check wheels, rims, hubs and tires. • Check lower fifth wheel. • Check upper fifth wheel. • Check sliding fifth wheel. • Check lamps. Caution: Never place yourself in between tires of tandem axles. 19. Inspect Left Side of Trailer • Check frame and body. • Check condition of hoses. • Check van and open-top trailer bodies. • Check cargo securement. 20. Left Rear Trailer Wheels • Check wheels, rims, hubs and tires. • Check sliding tandem. 21. Rear of Trailer • Check tail, stop, turn signals and lamps on projecting loads. • Check cargo securement. 22. Inspect Double and Triple Trailers • Check safety devices: full trailers/converter dollies. • Check the safety devices (chains/wire rope) for sufficient number, missing components, improper repairs and devices that are incapable of secure attachments. Inspect pintle hook, eye and drawbar for cracks, excessive movement and improper repairs. 23. Inspect Right Rear Trailer Wheels • Check as in step 20. 24. Inspect Right Side of Trailer • Check as in step 19. 25. Inspect Right Rear Tractor Area • Check as in step 18. 26. Inspect Right Saddle Tank Area • Check as in step 16. 27. Inspect Right Front Side of Tractor • Check as in step 15. 28. Inspect Steering Axle • Check steering system (both sides). • Check front suspension (both sides). • Check front axle. • Check frame and frame assembly. • Check front brakes (both sides). • Check and mark push rods (both sides). Note: Inform the driver that you are going under the vehicle. Enter the under carriage in view of the driver. (At front of power unit, rear of power unit and in front of trailer axle(s). Page 4 37 - Point Level I Truck Safety Inspection Checklist U.S. Department of Transportation 29. Inspect Axles 2 and/or 3 (Under Carriage of CMV) • Suspension (both sides). • Brake components (both sides). • Mark all pushrods “S” cam brakes (both sides). • Exit under carriage in view of driver. 30. Inspect Axles 4 and/or 5 • Same as step 29. 31. Check Brake Adjustment • Ensure air pressure is 90-100 p.s.i. • Have driver fully apply brakes and hold. • Measure and record all push rod travel. • Identify size and type of brake chambers. • Ensure brake lining to drum contact. 32. Test Air Loss Rate • Apply brakes while the engine is idling, the governor has cut in and pressure is 80-90 p.s.i. 33. Test Low Air Pressure Warning Device • Observe dash gauges while ignition is “on” and the driver is pumping the foot valve to approximately 55 p.s.i. 34. Inspect Tractor Protection System (This procedure tests both the tractor protection valve and the emergency brakes.) • Have driver release brakes and disconnect both brake lines. • Full brake application. 35. Check Steering Wheel Lash • Measure steering wheel lash while wheels are straight and the engine is running. 36. Check Fifth Wheel Movement • Prepare the driver and vehicle. • Check for excessive movement. Caution: If conducted improperly, this method of checking for fifth-wheel movement can result in serious damage to the vehicle. Use caution and instruct the driver carefully. 37. Complete the Inspection • Complete documentation. • Conclude with driver. • Follow correct and current OOS procedures (if applicable). • Issue CVSA decal (if applicable).

  53. #53nedly052009-11-08 19:18

    Thats great, thank you! how often do you give out good boy stickers to dump truckers? Around here they just set up in certain areas, usually pull of areas and set up shop. I have been stopped by a trooper headed in the opposite direction though. The job we finished on Friday, a DOT van went by, both thurs and fri, and never even looked over at us, we had two trucks just sitting there on the side of the road like sitting ducks!

  54. #54tuney4432009-11-08 21:03

    Just thought of something reading Extendahoe's post---It's extremely important for guys that have electric brake trailers to tell the DOT officer to disconnect FIRST the trailer plug BEFORE he pulls the brake-a-way switch.If something isn't wired right,shorted,etc.,there is the possibility the brake controller will get ruined.They always think I'm a wiseass when I mention this,but they usually don't know.

  55. #55Greg2009-11-11 00:59

    Here in Wisconsin some of the local municipal and county police and sheriff departments have been sending people to school to become inspectors. Got stopped by one of the locals some time ago with my lowboy hauling a D3 Cat and Cat 939 track loader on a common load. After the"inspector" got past the tire tread depth and lights he was totally lost. Had no wheel chocks, just told me to "keep it in gear" while checking brake adjustment. About all he managed there was to make sure they were moving, didn't measure travel. Seemed completly puzzled by the DOT Spec numbers on my red and blue air hoses between the tractor and trailer. Never looked at or checked how my load was chained down. Hour and a half later I am on my way with no tickets. Village President and I had a discussion about it the next time I saw him.

  56. #56Extendahoe2009-11-11 23:49

    Your right tuney.... I have done the brake check both ways, luck has it i haven't broke one by not disconnecting first, I always do that now. Just reading different post from peeps in different states, its quite different from state to state how things are enforced. Federal Motor Carrier has plenty of funds that encourage departments to start an inspecting team. The more inspections the more money.... more oos trucks and drivers the better you look in the eyes of the feds... plane and simple.

  57. #57Extendahoe2009-11-11 23:58

    CVSA stickers are a 'big deal" drivers and their trucks should get their sticker if they pass the inspection, many inspectors don't like keeping up with them "you have to keep those under lock and key. almost" all stickers assigned to you must be accounted for at the end of each quarter of the year. Inspectors must document what company and vehicle ech sticker goes too. Soom lazy inspectors simply find a reason not to give out the sticker even when they should.

  58. #58Extendahoe2009-11-12 00:04

    As far as how often I give "good ole boy stickers out" of course to get a cvsa sticker you must pass a Level 1 full inspection... no other level gets a sticker. I dont discriminate so dump buggies get stickers just like the rest. Inspections are just one small portion of my work... I'm required to do 32 inspection per year just to stay certified. Thats standard across the country. So, I get my 32 pretty early in the year, then I can be pickie about what I inspect for the rest of the year. Working crash's and working traffic takes up most of my time... doesnt leave alot for inspections.

  59. #59nedly052009-11-12 04:52

    That explains why I havent gotten one then! each level 1 I've gotten this year has come up with a chicken !@$& ticket...I've been through 3 this season!

  60. #60PROCUT12009-11-12 11:40

    They could do away with the program and just add a tax to trucks. Not that I support that, but thats all this program is. Its not about safety. Just tax every freakin truck $1000 a year and let us do our jobs without what I see as nothing more than harassment to extract money. Change truck safety inspections to 2 or 4 times a year at a repair shop. We already have one a year. Hold the owners and repair shop severely accountable. You drive an unsafe truck and cause an accident.......You're going to need to mortgage your house to pay the fine, not to mention the lawsuit. You inspect an unsafe truck and pass it. You lose your repair shop license. There you go. Same problem solved. Keep unsafe trucks off the road. And without the daily harassment.

  61. #61PROCUT12009-11-12 11:48

    Re-reading my posts I realize I come across like I drive unsafe junk and Im bitter about it. Ha Thats not actually the case. I dont have any major problems when we hit the inspections. My major problem is the way the program is run. My problem is the pressure the inspectors have to "find SOMETHING" Hell. I know if my job was to spend 45 minutes inspecting a truck freezing my butt off in the middle of winter, I would make sure it was worth it. Im not going to report back to my boss that I inspected 10 trucks that day and didnt write a ticket. I dont blame the individual inspectors. The bosses want to see tickets and revenue. Most guys dont try like hell to avoid DOT because they are driving unsafe junk. They do it because when you get pulled in, you know they are going to do everything they can to find something to write you up for. All the while you just sit there not making any money. Or worse, in my situation, Im paying 10-12 guys to sit in a couple crew cabs for an hour.

  62. #62Extendahoe2009-11-25 21:09

    Procut, You are so right in many ways. I suppose anytime you have $$$ changing hands it causes many problems. The Federal Gov. has millions of dollars to give to states willing to train or impliment a Comm. Veh. Inspection program. With that money states agencies have an obligation to turn out the production the feds want, such as Total number of inspections, type of inspections lev.1,2,3 how many violations you find how many drivers you place out of service and how many trucks or units you place out of service. All these things play a hugh role in the success of the program. Unfortunately so many agencies become very dependant on these fed funds to help run their department. The fact is many times you see departments will "through together a so called inspection team" just to get the money. I personally am not willing to stuop to some of the practices your sometime encouraged to do, In my state and particularlly in my area just because you find some simple violation doesn't mean you issue a ticket for that... it may simply be listed as a violation on the inspection. If there were multiple violations or oos violations or driver oos violations then that would warrant a citation. All of these things are usually left up to the inspector... within keeping the thought sometimes you just have to do your job and sometimes that means give a ticket to someone who you really don't want to. I personally hate the system and the way its set up just as Procut mentions above... it could be done much better.

  63. #63amscontr2009-11-28 07:39

    Years ago in Illinois I was driving a brand new Mack Granite tandem dump for an environmental co. and one of the "geniuses" in the office tried telling me that the registartion for the truck was valid, instead of explaining and arguing with him that in Il. the registration in a year in advance so if it's 2009 the reg. will say 2010. Anyhow I was cruising down the interstate and the DOT and portables were set up and I was empty and the truck was brand new, the inspector checked my paperwork and told me the reg. was expired so he decided to weigh the empty truck which was around 23,000 lbs. and told me the fine would be .10 cents per pound for no registration plus the truck would have to be towed and impounded until the fine was paid and a new valid registration. Luckily I played dumb and it was a week into the new reg. period and they let me go back to shop and park the truck with a warning. So if anyone in Illinois tries to run without a paid license plate just keep in mind they'll charge you by the pound. In 2003 it was ten cents with the current government it might be a dollar nowadays.

  64. #64Greg2009-11-28 07:50

    Procut, Just tax every truck a $1000.00 a year? We already pay Heavy Duty Truck Excise Tax on every truck above 50,000 pounds gross weight every year.

  65. #65Dwan Hall2009-11-28 11:17

    Extendahoe, What kind of Hoe you looking for? Are you going to road it or trailer it? If you trailer it and ever come to Alaska I would give anything to watch you go through our DOT inspection. Good luck on finding what you want. Now is a good time price wise to buy.

  66. #66Extendahoe2009-11-29 00:21

    Well at one time several years ago prior to the job I do now, I was a backhoe operator for about 7 yrs. I ran a Case 580E, thats the only backhoe I've ever ran... and thats the extent of my heavy equipment experience. Except for tractors on the farm that is. So I think I would be happy with a Case, from some of the other post here... i may need to stick with a 580 E, early M or super L. I would like to start with just the hoe and use it locally then trailer it a little later, want to pay as i go... don't want to go into deep debt, this will be a side line job until I retire got about 10 more yrs. for that though.

  67. #67darinray2009-11-29 08:53

    Well I actually have a 2002 Case 580M cab with heat, extenda hoe, 4wd, real good tires, 3300hrs, no leaks, great looking and running. $25,500 or real close offer. Darin

  68. #68Orchard Ex2009-11-29 09:55

    Darin, I assume that 580 is your personal machine right? Not the dealerships? I know that you wouldn't go against the forum rules on advertising...

  69. #69darinray2009-11-29 12:08

    Oh shoot. My intentions were to help a fellow member that is looking for something and do realize that I did display what piece of equipment he was looking for with a price but thought (or didn't think) that would be tolerated. Kindly delete my previous post as it's too late for me to do it. Sorry for this. Darin

  70. #70Extendahoe2009-11-30 00:36

    Thats a great looking machine, im sure thats the going price... I've got wishful thoughts of having one that nice, in reality I'm sure I can only afford something not quite so nice. I'm tryiing to look at as many hoe's as possible so when i do see a deal hopefully I will be able to recognize it.. and jump on it.

  71. #71Extendahoe2009-11-30 00:40

    Can you elaborate on the problems of the later model M's... I see some post here that recommend the early M's rather than do the later?

  72. #72rino2009-11-30 04:12

    Extendahoe: We have 2 municipalities here in OH that have their own scales! One is NE from Akron, and one is NW from Akron! I never had a problem with the one NW but the NE one we have been screwed by them more times then a hooker during a convention! We were rebuilding an intersection in the town and were milling for the asphalt part to be put down. The milling company had been told by my boss to keep the loads light because of the local scales! The City asked for a load of the milling's, to be taken to the city garage (where the scales are)! Our driver took this load over to them, and a cop was in the driveway. He stopped our truck, and told him that load needed to be scaled. He went down on the scales, and got out thinking the cop would tell him his gross. He was 10,000 over, and the cop wrote him a ticket! About an hour later another truck was pulled in 8,000 over. Every time I have been in there I have been told to "dump off " what I thought was my overload, because they couldn't let me go down the road overloaded! And NO I didn't get reweighed! Seems funny this municipality NEVER has to pay for aggregate! There are 3 big washed gravel pits around this town, and there are 2 big limestone yards close by! As well as 2 asphalt plants, and a concrete plant! I have NEVER had been told to dump off my overload at any other scale EVER! Also I know these cops were listening to our CB traffic, and once I was sure they were getting ready to hit another truck, I mentioned on the radio, that I was going to ask my State Police friend if the city was DOT certified! Within 10 minutes, there were No cops around us! Makes me wonder about their DOT cert!

  73. #73Extendahoe2009-11-30 11:27

    Sounds like a currupt bunch. No doubt they just wanted their material free. Depts. like that need to be reported... Don't be afraid to report that and tell everybody you know. Here in my state weight issues are a state law and not regulated by federal motor carrier. So actually any agency that has scales could enforce weight laws and would not be required to be "dot certified". I've always been confused by the term DOT which is short for Dept of transportation. Inspection as it pertains to commercial vehicles... officers are required to be certified by fmc Federal Motor Carrier, dot is just a term thats "stuck" i think.

  74. #74CinOK2009-11-30 11:47

    Every one should go back emptry and ask for their castoff's or the customer you are hauling for should bill the town for the material, dependes whos paying for the material. Do the pits let you go out that heavy? I always had sign a waiver to leave heavy

  75. #75rino2009-12-07 10:17

    2 answers and 1 comment Extendahoe: Here it's the Ohio State Highway Patrol / Motor Carrier Enforcement! They are DOT certified by the Federal DOT as to Federal MC rules and regs.! In Ohio there are only 2 DOT cops certified to dip fuel! You know, to make sure we running white not red!!! I have also argued with local cops who think my CDL is a State License! I have corrected my local yokel at to my CDL is a FEDERAL license issued by the State of Ohio! CinOK: The pits around here will let a straight truck out as long as they are under 80K! Because of my tare I legal at 15 tons, but could be over on a specific axle, which would be a fine! I don't think should be weighed by the axle, since we don't get the chance to weigh by the axle! I had 14 ton's on and was over 1000 # on my front drive! $400.00 fine! Since I was under gross, and was weighed, the company paid that one! The company has a fair rule; unless the boss says different we are told how much to haul. I have a max of 18 tons. As long as my scale ticket says 18.00 tons the company pays. If I'm free loading, where I don't hit the scale, the company pays. If I leave a scale, and the scale ticket shows 18.01 tons, it's my fine to pay! Most of the pits and companies don't want to tick off a municipality with whom they do business with! It's all about making money!

  76. #76rino2009-12-07 10:42

    I beat a jake ticket because the term is jake "BRAKE"! Under the FMSC and Ohio State law, "no government agency is permitted to control the brakes on any motor vehicle!" How and which brakes are used are totally up to the operators digression! I also beat a air bear ticket under the rules of evidence in court! For the cop in the plane to tell the cop on the ground, or the cop on the bridge to tell the cop down the road, the I was speeding is "here say" evidence! There is NO court in the US that admits here say evidence; unless it's a cop telling another cop who to issue a ticket to! I simply asked the Judge to show me the law that allows a cop to admit here say evidence in a court of law! I also explained that these could not be slid in under the "excited utterance" clause, because these police officers see speeders every day, and that the crime is not severe enough to make the cop excitedly say to issue a ticket! The prosecutor was getting madder by the second! He knew that I had found the loop hole. I was found NOT GUILTY due to here say evidence! You have to stand your ground, and remember these people make their money by legally stealing you hard earned money! Keep a cool head because the other side will try to say it is or is not pertinent to the charge! Then you have to debate that the law doesn't relate to the charge, but to how the charge came about! This is no different that your best friend telling a cop that you drove drunk about weeks ago, and getting a ticket for drunk driving!

  77. #77GaryKelley2009-12-07 13:45

    I was inspected at the Echo, UT POE on the 19th of November...got a sticker for the truck but not for the trailer (the ABS light was inop) on the 30th of November in Gillette, WY at the POE, a WDOT insp inspected me AGAIN, despite my arguments against it..and I got a sticker for the trailer..BUT...she pulled the sticker OFF the truck....turns out a TAILLIGHT was burned out...mind you, the light is not required if you are hooked to a trailer..but..if it's there, it has to work,,,I offered to go to the gas station next door, to purchase a new bulb an replace it, to keep the sticker on the windshield..she told me I had to get the insp signed off, and resubmit the vehicle for insp..... and they try to say it's about safety...the FDHSMV pays each state for the number and type of inspections they do..ludicrious...

  78. #78Greg2009-12-07 13:57

    When my tanks have been dipped it was done by an individual carrying an IRS badge, not a law officer of any type, state, county, local or other.

  79. #79Extendahoe2009-12-08 00:37

    Yeah, here we has officers with the tax administration do the fuel checks... it s not very ofter you will see them though.

  80. #80Extendahoe2009-12-08 00:39

    I've never heard of removing a sticker from a windshield.... that sticker once issued is yours and assigned to that truck and that company... it should never be removed.

  81. #81Extendahoe2009-12-08 00:42

    We axle out our natural resources haulers at roadside from time to time, it that cross a scale complex then they get axled out aswell.

  82. #82Greg2009-12-08 08:29

    What constitutes natural resources? Gravel, washed sand, hot mix asphalt couldbe classified as manufactured products. This sounds like a strange way to pick out whom to axle out.

  83. #83Orchard Ex2009-12-09 16:12

    rino, I'm trying to find where the CDL is a federal license. Do you have any place that references that? I did find the following at: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm From: COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT OF 1986 "It is important to note that the Act does not require drivers to obtain a separate Federal license; it merely requires States to upgrade their existing testing and licensing programs, if necessary, to conform with the Federal minimum standards. " Everything I read says it's a State license.

  84. #84CinOK2009-12-09 19:12

    It is a federal license in the fact that if it is suspended in one state it is suspended in all. Not so for a passenger car license. The laws are federal laws not state laws he test and requirements are the same for all. The only time the cdl is used for intrastate is if the diver is under 21 You must be 21 to cross state lines with a commercial vech.

  85. #85Orchard Ex2009-12-09 20:29

    I'm pretty sure that if your car license is suspended at home it's suspended in another state too. If you read the info in the link you'll see that the laws aren't federal, but the state laws must meet federal minimum requirements. That doesn't make it a federally issued license.

  86. #86rino2009-12-10 03:31

    Orchard Ex: As I remember when I went to TDS (I could have grandfathered, but NO I'll NEVER need a CDL) We were discussing the CDL, and the instructor for the class came in with the article that the CDL was a Federally mandated and controlled license Issued by the State. With Issue the State has again tried to control the CDL, but it IS a Federal License, Rules and regs are up to US DOT. The last time I looked, this was a branch of the Federal Government not the state DOT!

  87. #87Orchard Ex2009-12-10 11:16

    rino: Read the info on the US DOT web site. It clearly says that it is not a federal license. It is a State license. The state must set the minimum requirements to qualify for the license at or above the federal minimum standards . That's all. Don't confuse setting minimums as the same as setting the regulations . Complying with the minimum standards doesn't make it a federal license. Kind of like when we had the federally mandated 55 mph speed limit. You weren't breaking a federal law when you were speeding, just a state law. But if the state didn't set the standards to the federal mandate, then federal funding to the state for transportation projects would be taken away. I'm sorry if someone told you the wrong information. Don't believe me though, look it up for yourself in the link I posted above. If the regulations governing CDL's were federal then they would be the same in each state and we wouldn't have the confusion of things like some states letting you get an unrestricted CDL in a truck with an automatic transmission, or the "Limited Class A" that some states have and others don't. And by the way, I actually do have a federally issued license (not for trucking though). It says US Dept. of Transportation at the top, It doesn't mention my state except for my address. My state issued CDL doesn't mention the USDOT anywhere on it. If you still aren't convinced then we can just "agree to disagree" on this one.

  88. #88tuney4432009-12-10 18:56

    For those in my neck of the woods,the DOT was set up on the Mid-Hudson Bridge last Friday.

  89. #89CinOK2009-12-10 19:59

    Somehow the feds are wrapped up in it the test is the same state to state. Also if you have a Hazmat endorsement you have been aproved by Dept of Homeland Security.

  90. #90CinOK2009-12-10 20:05

    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT OF 1986 The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 was signed into law on October 27, 1986. The goal of the Act is to improve highway safety by ensuring that drivers of large trucks and buses are qualified to operate those vehicles and to remove unsafe and unqualified drivers from the highways. The Act retained the State's right to issue a driver's license, but established minimum national standards which States must meet when licensing CMV drivers. The Act corrects the situation that existed prior to 1986 by making it illegal to hold more than one license and by requiring States to adopt testing and licensing standards for truck and bus drivers to check a person's ability to operate the type of vehicle he/she plans to operate. It is important to note that the Act does not require drivers to obtain a separate Federal license; it merely requires States to upgrade their existing testing and licensing programs, if necessary, to conform with the Federal minimum standards. The CDL program places requirements on the CMV driver, the employing motor carrier and the States

  91. #91Extendahoe2009-12-14 13:25

    You are correct CinOK... its a state license be it a CDL or a non-cdl if your suspended or revoked in your issuing state then your suspended or revoked across the U.S. Our fed. gov. mandates indivisual states to do or comply to or upgrade to certain things its then up to your state to comply...

  92. #92Extendahoe2009-12-14 13:37

    What we all need to remember and most folk forget is a "license to drive" is a privilege and not a "right".... if your license is suspended or revoked your license is no-longer valid for driving... your right to drive has been taken away. We may not like this idea... but its just fact. We are a nation of laws and bylaws rules and regualtions.. too many of all this of course, its ashame we couldnt have a happy medium.

  93. #93Orchard Ex2009-12-14 16:01

    ahem, :tong

  94. #94Extendahoe2009-12-15 00:10

    And this is what states did in 1986... thats when they done away with the old Chauffeurs license.. you could be grandfathered that year and excempt from the driving test for the new CDL... Thats what i did in 1986, you just took the written part.

  95. #95Orchard Ex2009-12-15 21:22

    That's what I did too. IIRC I only had to take the air brake written to swap over to the CDL.

  96. #96Mack1852009-12-15 21:50

    It always sucked being a dumptruck driver. When I lived in Georgia, DOT lived for pulling over dumps, readymix and any kind of trash trucks. If you passed a Dept. of Public safety car you mine as well pull it over because he was coming after you. If they couldn't get you for being overall overweight they would probably make sure to get you on being overweight on 1 of your axles. Here in Missouri, its even worse. Our DOT drive around in unmarked pickups with toolboxes, always fun to try to spot them HA.

  97. #97PROCUT12009-12-15 22:33

    The whole thing just sucks. If it were about safety....Id be all for it. We already have a yearly required safety inspection. Why do we need constant random inspections? If its about safety......Why not make safety inspections quarterly? This way I can schedule my truck to be off the road. I can get notified of problems and I can get them fixed. But NOOOOO. Because then the state would lose fine revenue... Which is all this thing is about.

  98. #98Extendahoe2010-01-03 00:47

    What your saying is indeed sad but true in many areas. I hate the system it need a huge overhall. Inspections should be about safety "only" the old ticket ticket ticket is a bunch of CRAP. I did all my FMCSA inspection required of me this past year and didnt issue not ONE ticket to a trucker. Thats fact. Found lots of violations mostly minor stuff which was simply pointed out and listed on the inspection so the carrier would be encouraged to repair it. It varies greatly from state to state how things are enforced and it shouldnt be. I guess its kinda like the CDL law its a nationally reconized procedure or requirement as to how or who needs a CDL and which class but it varies alot from state to state..... how I dont know. Its simple and its the same law and guide line for every state.... how can you screw that up?

  99. #99rino2010-01-16 06:19

    PROCUT: There was a company driver who told the company his brakes weren't working well. He was told to either drive the truck or find another job. He took the truck with the brakes out of adjustment, and couldn't stop going down hill loaded. He ran into a car and killed a grandmother and her 2 grandchildren. The company said the driver never reported the brakes were not working, yet he had a copy of the Daily Drivers Report, that showed he reported the brakes were not working. The driver didn't know that he could refuse the truck, and keep his job under DOT rules. Needless to say that driver is spending 5 to 15 for accidental vehicular homicide. The company walks Scott free. With scheduled safety checks, these fly by night dump trucking companies around here would never get caught. There are about 4 companies that the local MCE go after with a vengeance because they have junk on the road. One truck was night paving with us, and didn't have any tail lights, brake light or turn signals for over a month. Another driver stopped at a bar between loads. He did get a DUI in a commercial vehicle, and I think he is still under the jail, because they didn't lock him up and throw the key away, the just threw him under the jail. These companies use any thing they have that can still be used so they don't have to spend money. One company I worked for serviced their trucks once a year weather they needed it or not. The king pins in the truck I was driving were so warn that I'd run new steers for about 7 weeks, and they take the tires off and flip them on the rim to get the other side of wear out of them rather that replace the king pins! the last company I worked for had a Mack CL700 6 axle. The rear brake were NOT working. Mack has a problem the their foot valve. I told the boss that the rear brakes were NOT working on that truck so I refuse to drive it. He told me that my brain was not working and to go home, so I did. With these companies its all profit margin. They don't want to pay to repair their equipment, let alone pay a driver a living wage. Why do you think dump driver look so sick? Because the company frowns no Dr. appointments in season, and the company cancels your insurance during off season. I'm in a wheel chair right now from this very situation. And the company just don't care.

  100. #100Safety Mgmt.2010-01-23 10:04

    All out there should think about this. As of January 1, 2009 the entire 50 states were suppose to get rid of most of their state DOT vehicle codes and go to writing violations under the FMCSR safety regulation book only. Here in Michigan that has happened pretty well. I suggest that you all get with the FMCSA in your state or in Washington and fire the questions at them at why is states still using state vehicle code laws when every state was suppose to be writing DOT safety tickets for violations under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulation book. Many officers are rouge officers that want to still use their state vehicle codes instead of the FMCSR regulations. I'd raise some hell with the FMCSA and the state police from these states. It is the only why to get these states to be uniform across the board. This was the reason for going to the regulation book to make enforcement within each state for truckers uniform. This is what they were preaching to me as a Michigan State Police, Motor Carrier Division, Safety Auditor before I retired and started Safety Management Systems in late 2007.

  101. #1012stickbill2010-01-23 10:22

    I think all Equipment Safety Violation tickets should go to the owner not the driver.Maybe then they will repair the equipment.

  102. #102Exact Express2010-01-23 11:24

    Dot Hey all, just found this site, had to join. I get stopped all the time . Last Oct. I was stopped four out of five days in one week. Twice last week. Most of the time they just check for a permit and paper work.

  103. #103Arabhacks2010-01-23 11:40

    Required to run, or else! Hello. I had worked on and off for several years for Olmos Equipment, 440 Pinn Rd San Antonio Texas. I was on layoff and decided to drive a big truck. Came back in 1993 and was put back with my old super', dirt crew. Inside of a week I was told to report to the office. I was told to report for DOT drug screen and physical and road test. I said that I did not want to operate a big truck, I was just fine on the blade. The director of safety said that I had to at least qualify, this way he gets a $200 bonus and meets quota. I said no. I was told flat out that I drive an end dump or I am out of a job. I no longer work there and was told a few months age that "Because of what you did the last time you were here" I could not return.

  104. #104Oversizeload2010-01-24 10:22

    If this wreck happened at I-77 and St route 82 in ohio quite a few years ago. I cleaned up that wreck. It was one of the saddest yet most infuriating wreck I ever worked. I could not believe how out of adjustment the brakes were in that dump when we finally got it back upright and on the road. The brakes would not hold the truck with the parking brake applied. That grandmother and 2 kids died for no reason.

  105. #1052stickbill2010-01-24 12:34

    I wonder why the driver did not adjust his own brakes.I adjust mine for one reason ever since a mechanic backed them off one time I do not trust anybody doing this.It was a good thing I tried them before I left the yard.All drivers should know are learn to adjust brakes.All though some companies don't want you doing this but when it comes to safety I'll adjust.

  106. #106Oversizeload2010-01-24 20:44

    I agree I adjust my own brakes all the time. With the weight I haul I want to know they are right and not depend on a mechanic that forget something during a service. I use my engine brake ALOT probably why my trailer brakes lasted over 4yrs on the lowboy I pull.

  107. #107tuney4432010-05-07 09:00

    Just heard a great story I wanted to share.Certainly made my day.The combo rest stop/DOT inspection area on RT 84 going East past Danbury,Ct.The DOT boys were pulling over and detaining straight trucks and trailers carrying US mail.Those drivers are on a very strict timetable from point to point--they only are issued a fairly small window of BS time.The drivers were complaining to their superiors that they were being harassed by these cops for no good reason.Calls were placed to the higher ups at DOT,explaining the situation that these trucks are on a very strict PM schedule and there's no need for this harassment.They were basically laughed at--the harassment continued.US mail,being a federal arm of our gov't,organized some federal marshalls to go to said checkpoint and arrested the DOT boys for interference of US mail getting delivered.They were NOT brought before a local judge--they put them in front of a federal judge.After whatever sentencing was admonished,the guy in charge representing US mail asked the judge to simply release them.He got his point across--enough said.

  108. #108erthmover2010-05-07 13:06

    That will teach them DOT boys a lesson! :roll Wish I could have been there to see it.

  109. #109Heavyduty2010-05-08 14:56

    So let me get this right, If I decide to buy a tractor (weighing 13k) across a state line, I will need to have it dropped off at the state line? To keep from getting a of bunch tickets.

  110. #110Autocar2010-05-09 17:10

    Ive been stopped twice this year and I asked the O.D. guy about breake adjustment , he told me 1 3/4 inch stroke on the back and 2 inches on the front. My jaw just about hit the floor board, I didn't say anything but felt it would be pretty tuff to stop a loaded log truck with that much slack. I run mine tight up to the drum and back off a quarter of a turn.

  111. #111rigandig2010-05-16 08:29

    Your right on the money with your adjustment A-Car. The measurements the DOT gave are the max travel limitations. The general mindset with most of the fleet companies is that the self adjusters are there to do their job and keep the adjustment within those limitations. When any part of that system fails, then they find their trk/trl setting with an OOS order. That's why I religiously adjust mine before I leave home and after I load. It also affords me a good look-see at the underside of the truck and trailer. Never know what ya might find under there.

  112. #112Komatsu 1502010-05-16 11:41

    We only have one dump truck with self adjusters. I like the concept but I've learned to check brakes at least once a month (a city dump truck) even with new slacks. Not unusual to need some adjustment. I got curious why they're not better so I looked up service literature from the manufacturer (I can't remember which one at the moment). They stated plainly that they need brake applications at something like 80% to adjust properly. So the conclusion was that a gentle driver needed a lot more manual brake adjustment than the rough guy who beats up the brakes.

  113. #113OMB2011-05-22 19:52

    I agree with those that say it is more about money than anything else. If it is truly about safety and all these regs are such a great idea, then let's extend them to ALL drivers and vehicles on the road! Or how about they simply get reasonable? Years ago I had 5 trucks hauling sand fill into a job. All got scaled and grossed OK but one didn't axle out. The cop gave the 64 y.o. driver 20 minutes to shift the load by hand. He would not let the other drivers help or let the driver use a shovel since THAT truck waas not equipped with one- even though some of the other trucks did, it could not be borrowed. Driver gave it his best shot and dogpaddled as long as he could and got pegged for the heavy axle. I have to wonder if that cop would impose those conditions on someone like, say, his father or maybe his daughter if they were comm. drivers? I would like to be part of a group to bestow upon our representatives in gov't the stories of hardship we have endured from the rogue law enforement in the name of safety. This is an attack on the livelyhood of those that for the most part, comply with the rules and regs. In my opinion the detaining of a truck longer than 15 minutes -or something reasonable- is Restraint of Trade - a Federal offense. In the first 2 minutes the average cop can tell if there is a major infraction- pull that one to the side for more inspection and move on to the next truck. And don't waste time and resources on the petty stuff. Common on, being tagged for a box of tissues in the cab ( loose article in the operator's compartment), 8'-7"- overwidth without a permit (the tire bulge on a artic truck on a lowbed) , defective brakes (oil on rim from brake service the day before, dry shoes) and on and on. This is to all those active and lurking here that are in or were in law enforcement- what percentage of accidents involving passenger and comm vehicles were the operator of the passenger vehicle found at fault?

  114. #114mitch5042011-05-23 00:40

    And people wonder why I'm shutting down the trucking side of my business on May 31. I'm tired of being the government's ATM.