Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Double 2U D8

old-iron-habit ยท 2016-07-14 22:30

I was not sure to put this here or on the Old Iron Thread. Peterson Cat and a couple of California friends teamed up to build this side by side 2U D8. It is a copy of one of the original ones that Buster Peterson built. I believe it is on its way from the San Francisco Bay area to the northwest as we speak for a show. The blade is off for hauling. They have been working on it for about 18 months. Both Cats are completely rebuilt as new.

Replies18
  1. #1old-iron-habit2016-07-15 11:26

    It will be in Oregon for the show this weekend. First time out.

  2. #2seatwarmer2016-07-15 12:22

    You Americans have all the good stuff

  3. #3walkerv2016-07-15 15:18

    what did they use the original for? or was it built just because he could

  4. #4Heavey Metal2016-07-15 15:52

    Root plowing mesquite on the king ranch.

  5. #5turbo87812016-07-15 22:42

    Do you know where in Oregon?

  6. #6RZucker2016-07-15 23:09

    Wow, this is a lot like the old Euclid TC-12, how did they run 2 master clutches and the Johnson bar at the same time, let alone steer this beast? The TC-12 was easy with the powershift transmissions, but I can see issues with the stick shifts.

  7. #7bam19682016-07-16 00:53

    I'm guessing they fabricated some linkage and combined the clutches etc. But, like I said, just guessing. I don't know that for fact.

  8. #8Scrub Puller2016-07-16 02:24

    Yair . . . I would suggest there was not much shifting involved in designed application. . . it would only require a basic linkage as suggested by bam1968. Cheers.

  9. #9Cmark2016-07-16 04:23

    The DD9s has a compressed air system.

  10. #10old-iron-habit2016-07-16 16:00

    Oregon might be wrong. I just read something about Redding, CA for the unveiling today. Is there a Petersons' Cat in Redding that is having open house this weekend? Now, I'm not confident where it is for sure. It will be making the rounds to dealers and to shows. It will be at Santa Margarita next Memorial Day weekend for sure when the Antique Caterpillars National show will be held there. There is a long running build thread on the ACMOC site. Put "Siamese Twin D8's" in the search bar at the upper right on the screen and it will come right up. In normal dozing, one engine runs each track so gradual turns can be made under power to each track by adjusting engine speed. Peterson build at least 3 of the original ones, all were a bit different to fit the application. One as mentioned was for the King Ranch. It had a huge funnel dozer on it that rolled the brush into a windrow under the twin D8s'. In poor pictures I have seen it looks like it may have been a "high" build. Another was fitted with a monster coal blade for use on a stockpile at either a coal fire power plant or coal mine. Not sure which any more. The third I am not certian about.

  11. #11RBMcCloskey2016-07-16 16:25

    I seem to recall that Morrison Knudsen had on built for use on a dam job in California...

  12. #12old-iron-habit2016-07-16 17:36

    Now that you remind me, I believe you are correct.

  13. #13old-iron-habit2016-07-16 17:58

    Here is some original pictures of the first three Siamese Twin D8's.

  14. #14old-iron-habit2016-07-16 18:01

    And a few more.

  15. #15RZucker2016-07-16 18:21

    IIRC, Howard "Buster" Peterson was R.G. Letourneau's brother in law. Correct me if I am wrong.

  16. #16RBMcCloskey2016-07-16 21:24

    Buster Peterson was Howard Peterson's brother, he worked for Letourneau. They were both brother-in-laws to Bob Letourneau.

  17. #17Heavey Metal2016-07-16 23:48

    http://www.petersoncat.com/history/twin-d8s

  18. #18old-iron-habit2016-07-17 23:19

    The Siemese 8s will be in Eugene, Oregon on July 30 at Peterson Tractor. Then on to Brooks arriving on Friday the 5th for blade mounting and being there during the show on the 6th and 7th. From there it will be off to Hillsburo, Oregon to be at Petersons new facility for about three weeks. I think the facility will be opening during this time. Looks like you northwest folks have a few chances to check it out.