Ok its called the dd9 or quad how about a full detail on the steering system on these push tractors (Peterson) pics, and info to watch the videos it almost seems like the operators have differential steer type lever as they are single lever equipped too bad the don't have differential steer that would be cool. Angle seats and all these would be great pull pan tractors
Parts book for Quad-Track D9 tractor, arrang. # 3S4601, SN # 66A3266-up. From what I can see, both tractors are modified for air controls. Directional control mounted on guard left hand side of seat. Steering clutch control valve mounted on console left hand side of seat. Dual air treadle valves for governor control. ( Decel ) ? Not sure where weight transfer control is mounted,air over hydraulic, controls nose cylinder on rear tractor. I find 12 air lines between front and rear tractor. Show 5 lines on the weight transfer valve, 4 lines on steering clutch valve, 6 lines on directional control. Not all lines from all valves go to rear.Twin governor treadle valves tee together after a check valve. A guess, and only a guess would be a way to run both with one pedal. Sure would be swell to crawl all over one and see exactly, wouldn't it ?
I think this is a good video, not sure if you can tell anything from it. They're getting scarce nowadays.
That's the video thanks for putting it up on here d9gdon they are awesome. sled dog that's a pretty good slug of info. and yes it sure would be Swell to check one out. I have a 9h and a 8k and a d7f and had a few d8h's' with the steering clutch levers and foot brakes same as 9g the later 7g 8k 9h steering can be done by hand only if you prefer, I still like to apply light pressure on the foot levers. I thought i read there is only one brake lever on the foot out of the three which would be the left foot lever other two would be throttle like a double barrel pan. I knew these quads used air that single lever steer looks easier and smooth. wish I could see pictures up close.
This video looks relatively new but I have a hard time figuring how it would be economical to support this machine today or what job site would allow it to run with the umbrella ROPS system.
Sled dog now that's detail the leed tractor by itself would be cool for many different task is that d9g ? is the H the same steering set up looks like I was right on the foot pedals.
Fiat, I found a pic of the original Peterson prototype. It shows 4 pedals, but no explanation or diagram. There are some fascinating pics out there if you google Dual D9. One shows a Dual pulling a ripper with another Dual pushing. 4 9's on 1 shank. Horsepressure !!! Lets see what we can find on the SXS 9. What say you ? Sleddog
I would laugh my tail off if those air controls were made by Wabco. The transmission control looks real similar to the trans control and elevator control (made by Wabco) on the Terex S-35E's. Although in fairness those were made by a different division of Westinghouse Air Brake Co.
There was a reserected DD9 that was brought back from Alaska I believe, owned by Peterson Tractor at Santa Margarita, CA over Memorial day weekend. The event was the Best of the West Show and was also this years national show of the Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club (ACMOC) . It was doing due diligence push loading a 660 Cat scraper until it had a idler issue and sat out the third day. A real cool machine for sure. I love the scncronized black smoke from the twin stacks when the governor kicks in. Lots of pics and video at the ACMOC BB.
Yair . . . Back in the late sixties some fellers here stuffed around hooking two D8h's up. They reckoned back tractor only needed gear shift and throttle, the front tractor did the steering. Dunno it was only hearsay. Cheers.
There is a U-tube video showing the DD9 pushing the 660 at the Best of the West show. I'm not smart enough to post a link on my phone but search for DD9g at Best of the West and it will come up. Also check Glens otber posts of the newly built double 2U D8 and other cool pieces.
Hey Scrub, first off just want you to know what a joy it is to read any of your posts. Always look forward to anything of yours I see. I'm an old timer also, and I too know and love the sound of a Direct Drive workin. And I know the correct way to light one off with a pony motor, and the chirp chirp of a cable control talking to you all day. You realize we are dating ourselves, and those things are a part of history now. As far as the 2 8's with no rear steer, think about that for a minute. I've spent enough time on pushcats to know that with 1 you can steer the rear of the scraper pretty much where you want. Double pushin the rear tractor can steer the first tractor to a point. I think if that unsteered rear was just a little out of line, it would take you sideways. Man, lets borrow a couple and see what happens. How 'bout it ?
Here, Fiat. Thought you might like this...
xxxx
Yair . . . Gotcha sled dog. Thanks for the kind words. Yes I hear you and think the same about the steering. I think the application (if it worked) was to get more horsepower onto a chain for clearing. I don't see how it would have worked for that either. I believe one outfit played around pulling with four D8's hooking up like push-pull scrapers but that was never going to work. We did very well though with three tractors on one chain . . . or rather a main chain and a leader in the centre. There is not much that hasn't been tried and cost folks time and money. (grins) Cheers.
Gotta think on how hard that would be on track frames and finals with two pushing not necessarily always directly inline.
Here's a few pictures of the DD9 linkage. When the steering clutches are pulled they hydraulically actuate opposite corners, as in left front/right rear track so the steer like a articulate machine.
Here's the link to the DD9 video at Santa Margarita on Memorial Day weekend. try again https:m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wukSvluoSA
Try this one. Greyson
Thank you gtermini. Old equipment and me co-exist better than I do with computers. I take all the help I can get.
Really enjoy this sort of stuff,thanks for posting Nick...
Here's the spec's for the Quad 9g. I mistakenly said in a earlier post that the steering was hydraulic. It actually is air operated.
sleddog funny I have all the fiat 41 literature comparing the cats to the 41s in the fields of (total cost) volumes. speed maneuvering push loading clearing stacking raking 41 wins according to my book and the biggest double set up was the 41 rockland made the blade 2 hd41's were attached to it known as big daddy those were the days.
Do you have any photos? I would love to see them. Also please post the specs. The problem with the 41s were to much power for the drivetrain. There reliability factor was terrible.
Fiat, I wasn't saying one over the other. Just an old ad. pic that I thought you might like cause of the 41. I have only ever saw 1 41 workin from a distance in a coal mine. I just like the old Iron. And the old days. And old pics of old iron in the old days. Sleddog
The Albany, Minnesota antique show has a resident HD 21. It is a monster for sure. A few years ago they were playing in the pit with it with 3 antique crawlers mounted on it riding along. One on the canopy, one sideways across the back, and one above the hood. It is a monster. In Carthage, S Carolina, Ken has 2 of them with sidebooms set up for railroad emergency work. They do not see action any more and are getting covered in trees last time I seen them 4 years ago.
OIH, I spent thousands of hrs. long ago on TS-24's. Usually being shoved by 8's. or 2 8's. Did a spell on a northern Indiana road job with a company out of Michigan in the mid 70's that had got into a pi$$in contest with Cat. Owned no Cat iron. Shoved their 24's with HD 21's and TC 12 Eucs. The difference between the 21's and the 8's was something I still remember. 21's were much stronger. Somewhere someone has a picture of my 24 being shoved by 2 21's and 2 TC 12's. We were down 'bout 30' in a borrow pit, rock hard blue clay and gravel. The old 24's had no down pressure on the pan, and even with new frost bits the pan would just skate over and the edges would smoke. You had to go to neutral and hold the brakes while the 21 lifted the *** up and shoved. That put the whole weight of the pan on the edge and slightly increased the angle of attack. Skate skate then the edge would bite and down it went. You didn't want to raise up too much for fear of skating up and out again, so another 21 would jump on. Then a TC 12. The picture showed the 2 21's and the 2 TC 12's with my rear wheels off the ground and the dirt boiling over the sides. But it was pushing so hard the first 21 was off the ground. Suspended between my stinger and the other 21 and the 12's. We all a little amazed, but laughing none the less. By all rights it should have ripped the bottom right out of my pan. Some of the old Iron was pretty tough. Sleddog
yea me to sleddog also find them much easier to understand when something goes haywire.
fiat41b, You want a 41B with almost new undergear? Approx total hrs on machine 5500, 2 owners, last used early 90s. Location Temescal Canyon, South of Corona Calif, current owner Corona Clay Co.