Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Double Loading a tilt trailer

brickhead ยท 2016-01-30 18:40

Anyone add power to the cushion cylinders of their 20 ton tilt trailers to allow loading of 2 pieces of equipment?

Replies7
  1. #1Shimmy12016-01-31 13:37

    I would be very skeptical of this working without destroying the trailer. I highly doubt the attachment of the cylinder would hold up to pulling forces, not to mention the size of the cushion cylinder isn't going to exert enough force to pick up much of a load on the back of the trailer.

  2. #2Jonas3022016-01-31 16:57

    Maybe a ball valve in the hose of the cushion cylinder to keep it tipped until both pieces loaded of course still need the balance to untip another way would be to load off ramps or bank

  3. #3Pops522016-01-31 21:02

    Thers 2 ways to do this. 1, load the first piece & stop just before it tilts. Load the 2nd piece as close to the 1st as possible. Move the 1st till the bed tilts, then lock the bed. Easier with 2 people. The other way is to load the 1st piece & stop just before it tilts, then block the bed from dropping then continue up til you have room for the second piece. I preferred the 1st method.

  4. #4bvfdfire2016-01-31 21:09

    I've pulled two different Hyster trailers in the past that were tilt bed, they had float as well as power up and power down. It proved to be very effective when hauling motor graders because we had to put the front axle up on the neck and then power down the lower deck.

  5. #5brickhead2016-02-06 08:36

    Suprised no one has converted one to power tilt even if it meant using heavier cylinders. I like my 7ton tilt are 20ton tilts a thing of the past? Not a big fan of ramps.

  6. #6ericscher2016-03-19 17:38

    I built my PJ with a hydraulic scissor lift and added wireless remotes. Usually if I am loading two things I load one at a time, strap it down tight and then re-tilt. I also have he decking with built in rubber, so it's higher traction.

  7. #7brickhead2016-03-26 13:29

    Found a trail king with a hydraulic power tilt factor installed. Thanks