Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer 650G Engine Oil

CAH2873 ยท 2026-01-07 07:04

Hello- I have a Deere 650G dozer that i use around the farm and etc. and typically put around 200 hours a year on it. I was getting ready to change the engine oil in it yesterday so I let it warm up for 10 minutes. I then pulled the oil drain plug and some antifreeze came out- probably around 3-5 ounces. I check the engine oil every time I use it and have not seen any milky oil and the dozer does not smoke or anything like that. Actually- it has been running very good the last couple of times I have ran it. I then popped the radiator cap and did see some small traces of oil in it floating- not near as much oil in antifreeze and there was antifreeze in the oil. Any suggestions on what to look at next? I have a feeling that I know what is wrong but would like to get some opinions. Thanks in Advance, CAH2873

Replies4
  1. #1HarleyHappy2026-01-07 10:00

    Pre-cups.

  2. #2Simon C2026-01-07 12:57

    Could dump the oil as per regular oil change, pressurize the radiator with pan plug out for a day to see if anything comes out of pan. Would be a good starting point. Disconnect battery so no one tries to start if more than you around. Simon C

  3. #3Welder Dave2026-01-10 23:54

    I think a 650G would be direct injection but not positive. Symptoms point to a head gasket but Simon's suggestion could confirm it.

  4. #4mg23612026-01-11 06:04

    That would be correct. I would start with the engine oil cooler., If it is like the one below (need a machine or engine serial number to know which cooler you have), check the main part (not the cover) of the cooler. Is it aluminum or cast iron? If it is aluminum, they had issues with the O-ring grooves being machined a little rough, creating issues. They replaced the aluminum with cast iron because the finish on the O-ring groove can be machined much smoother.