Hello, I have a Deere 650G dozer that I use at my farm. It runs 100-150 hours per year doimg various task. I developed a small leak in the left final drive a couple of years ago. I have found ways to work around it like parking the back left tilted up slightly to keep the oil fo running out. But when it did leak- it took several days to loose a quart. I used it 2 weeks ago to clear some brush and now it leaks non stop. Even when it is parked tilted up in the rear. It is a slow leak but continuous. I pulled it out on level ground and it is about 3” lower that than fill plug. Before this happened- I have put some thicker oil in it to help slow it down and it did seem to help with the 140 weight and even Lucas Oil Leak Stop. The problem is: I live in East Texas and I can not find anyone to work on it even remotely cheap- 5-7K. Can I fill the final drive with grease? For no more than it is being used? Any suggestions?
Not a chance, you are going to have an even higher repair bill, check out C&C equpiment you tube channel , not a bad job, cheers
I have used some gear oil stop leak before, with good results. Eventually, it will have to be fixed but may get you by for a while. Think it was Barr’s or something like that. Adding shots of grease is another redneck temp fix. We used to add brake fluid to swell seals also.
It sounds like bearing wear is developing into other issues. It’s possible that seals have hardened up due to it not getting used regularly as half the seal stays up out of the oil when it sits for long periods,but I reakon things are developing into bank balance alterations for you.
One thing to consider is that the upper pinion shaft bearings depend on splash lubrication. Grease or thicker oil doesn't help the situation plus final running low on oil. Last G series i replaced the final on was over 9K and that was in 2012.
Not sure if it uses a duo-cone seal but bailer twine is known to take out those and seals.
We want to help people, and these type of suggestions are the last thing someone who isn't familiar with fixing should ever read.
Your correct, my bad.
They use a duo-cone seal, metal to metal. Just like Cat
Yes, add to that fence wire really likes to hop in between shoes and wrap around the final. Many years ago we bought a "Standen" parallelogram ripper for our then D750 CASE and he [tractor breaker] said that "in garbage compactor machines, stocking was impossible to remove and was tough enough to cripple the seal quickly." He also said that any wire cutters' scrapers' etc tend to make cleaning and removal attempts more difficult !
Oh yes,landfill machines have it tough. I do some work in that sector and anyone buying a standard dozer for that type of work is in for trouble. Landfill spec machines are needed for good reason.The guarding fitted to reduce the impact of trash cutting its way into seals and shafts has been perfected over the years. A string of cotton from a mattress or bedsheets can cut into shafts just has easily as bailer twine.Steel rope isn’t much help either.