Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer blade tilt control

D6c10K ยท 2019-08-04 09:13

This is just a theoretical question.... probably never actually try to build it but curious if it's been done. Much of the newer equipment is prewired for GPS control, but has anyone built limited blade control for an older dozer? Specifically I was thinking of a control to maintain blade tilt. Something that you could set a tilt angle, or level, and have sensor control solenoid valves to maintain the tilt. Doesn't seem like it would be terribly complicated and wondered if it's been done. Is there any new, non-GPS , equipment with similar basic controls?

Replies7
  1. #1D6c10K2019-08-07 15:05

    Nothing?

  2. #2Tinkerer2019-08-07 16:04

    There is nothing theoretical about GPS blade tilt control. It is in use all over the country. Do a Google search for Trimble blade tilt control.

  3. #3D6c10K2019-08-07 22:34

    Was talking about a control that doesn't use GPS. Something on the order of a tilt sensor controlling the blade through solenoid valves. A relatively simple electromechanical add-on for older machines..... no computer. Just wondering if something like that has ever been done.

  4. #4Tinkerer2019-08-08 09:07

    Ooops ! I missed the non-GPS in your last sentience of your op. All the blade controlled dozers I ever ran used either a laser or GPS. Totally useless info. for your question. Sorry

  5. #5R.D.G0132019-08-09 02:33

    Topcon has a 2 D system for graders that gives slope control without the GPS side of it, guess u could fit it to a dozer. It has been around for 25 yrs or so, good system, holds a preset slope on a grader blade and when used with a sonic tracker that reads a string line or a kerb lip makes road building easier and faster.

  6. #6D6c10K2019-08-10 07:44

    I see there is a topcon slope sensor on eBay that has up to 1:1 range. I'm guessing the rest of the system would include a valve assembly and a control module. As mentioned above, I've seen set-ups on graders to read pavement or string for elevation, and presumably they were using a slope sensor as well. Would like to see a complete slope control and how it operates.

  7. #7John C.2019-08-12 10:30

    I would think that as long as the tilt control is pilot operated, you could add just about anything you wanted. I think it would be a little more complicated on a machine that used manual linkages to operate the tilt control spool on the valve.