Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer Case 850 C – overhaul problem

Ruherek ยท 2017-07-29 16:16

After a complete overhaul of the engine due to a damaged journal on the crankshaft, I started it and it smoked a lot for a while (maybe 5 minutes), running weakly, then smoothed out. It would not accelerate while smoking profusely, only after warmup. After warmup, it accelerated but very slowly up to a max of about 1700 RPM. Also, driving it, I found it had low power and certainly not usable for work. It does the same smoking thing each time I start it after a long shut down interval. I am trying to loosen the 4 nuts retaining the fuel injector pump to try to rotate it while running to see if the timing might be off but, one nut of 4 holding the pump is just not accessible with regular tools and I'm not there yet. Is this smoking, low power, the result of a timing issue? New rings and a professional valve job were done. Also, in putting the engine back together, I inadvertently left out the pencil sized Thrust Spring, which fits inside a hollow, inside the front part of the cam shaft. I have no idea what the purpose of that spring is! I am leaving panels, etc. off so I can go back a few steps and insert it if it becomes necessary to have it in place. Anyone know why it is there and what it does? Appreciate any help I can get.

Replies28
  1. #1Volvomad2017-07-29 19:07

    If the injection timing was out that much I would not expect it to run any better after 5 minutes . The 1150B is timed to 30 BTDC .I think it should run smooth from 10 to 35 BTDC under no load . Has the 850C a 4 cylinder version of the same engine ?

  2. #2DMiller2017-07-29 20:54

    Can you relate pressures and temperatures, any noises when accelerating. This to me sounds like the engine(hate to say) is trying to lock down. Does it idle alright or fight to stay running? Surges, excess fueling? That spring does similar to the thrust plug on the old 855 Cummins, keeps the cam from walking back and forth to keep from destroying the cam followers.

  3. #3Tinkerer2017-07-29 21:10

    Like DMiller posted, That spring and plunger (pin) is used to keep the camshaft from shifting back and forth when accelerating and decelerating. With it missing the timing will change as the camshaft walks in and out due to the helical gears. Did you look inside the timing gear cover for a hole starting to appear due to the rotation of the pin ? It may need to be welded up and ground down flush with the surrounding metal. I have had to do that. The depression (hole) can be fairly deep on a high hour engine. I am not saying that is the cause of your problem, but you should get the pin assembly back in there soon.

  4. #4d9gdon2017-07-29 21:38

    Those symptoms sound like a timing issue, no doubt.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2017-07-30 04:49

    DO NOT loosen the pump & run it.. & try to twist it.. You'll end up w/ more pieces than when you started.

  6. #6DMiller2017-07-30 10:03

    Get the cam issue fixed, then set the engine timing mark as well the pump mark for static time and then restart. If it behaves I will be surprised but not too badly.

  7. #7Ruherek2017-07-30 10:21

    This is a 4 cylinder engine.

  8. #8Ruherek2017-07-30 10:26

    After the smoking stops it runs smoothly, until then, it runs roughly. Temp is normal after warmup and driving around. No engine noise. The smoke seems to indicate excess fueling on startup, I had the injection pump completely overhauled for about $1,300. I don't expect a problem there.

  9. #9Ruherek2017-07-30 10:27

    I hear you.

  10. #10Ruherek2017-07-30 10:28

    4 cylinder.

  11. #11Ruherek2017-07-30 10:28

    OK. I will get the spring back in.

  12. #12Tinkerer2017-07-30 10:53

    I have the complete OEM service manual for your 336BD or 336BDT (T designates turbo) Case engine in .pdf format. If you need it put it your email address in a private conversation to me and I can send it to you.

  13. #13izuchukwu2017-07-30 11:16

    What is the model of the engine

  14. #14Tinkerer2017-07-30 13:13

    It is a 336BD OR 336BDT made by the J.I. Case corporation.

  15. #15Ruherek2017-07-30 17:05

    It is the same version and it is 4 cylinder. I am now thinking the timing needs tweeking. I also, think I better take the timing cover off and insert the thrust spring. Thank you for your help.

  16. #16Ruherek2017-07-30 17:06

    Thanks. It is a 336BDT, it has a turbo.

  17. #17Ruherek2017-07-30 17:09

    I am hoping you are right. I will get the thrust spring put in its place and then work on the timing. Thanks for your reply.

  18. #18Ruherek2017-07-30 17:10

    Thanks. It is a 336BDT, it has a turbo.

  19. #19Ruherek2017-07-30 17:13

    Thanks. My email: [email protected]

  20. #20Ruherek2017-07-30 17:14

    It is a 336BDT. Thanks.

  21. #21Ruherek2017-07-30 17:18

    The engine has about 4500 hours on it.

  22. #22Tinkerer2017-07-30 17:59

    I didn't put the manual in a .zip file so it will take some time to download. It is on the way as I type this ! You will find how to set the injector pump timing marks in section 3012 page 9. Crankshaft timing mark must be on 31 or 32 degrees. You will need a .pdf Reader program in your computer to read the file.

  23. #23Ruherek2017-07-30 22:33

    Got it. Thanks. It will help.

  24. #24Ruherek2017-07-30 22:34

    Got it just fine. Thanks.

  25. #25Ruherek2017-08-01 18:19

    To all of you kind folks who offered suggestions, Thank You Very Much. After pulling away the radiator, and other items so that I could get to the timing marks on the pulley, removing the gear cover from the injector pump, the valve cover over cylinder no. 1, I reset the timing using 31 degrees BTDC. I had to realign the two marks on the injector pump. I restored everything and today at 1PM started the Dozer. There was no smoke, the engine purred like a kitten, powerful, good acceleration. Problem solved. Most all of you hit the nail on the head that the problem was a timing issue, and, it was. Thank you all for the wonderful help and suggestions. It is good to be a part of a community of helping hands.

  26. #26d9gdon2017-08-02 10:30

    Good deal.

  27. #27Tinkerer2017-08-02 12:29

    Thanks for letting everybody know. Way too often we never hear the final results after helping someone.

  28. #28Volvomad2017-08-03 18:24

    Have you any idea how far out the timing was out of courisoty .I was thinkiing of retarding the fuel timing on the 1150B because before I overhauled the engine ,it was a nightmare to start on a mild winters day .