So I’m still a bit green on a dozer but the guy I work for keeps giving me a d8 with an angle blade to do finishing work in soft sugar sand. Am I wrong to think this is mental if your expecting a perfect clean finished product?
Yes. Tell him you need my D3K. LOL
D6 with a 6way blade is the smallest we have but that would still be way better then the 8 with an angle blade but yes a 3 or a 4 would probably be idea.
If he is ok with the results your golden.
What does your spec book for this project say is "a perfect clean product"?
We use a farm tractor & box blade for finish work . They work great coming in behind a dozer to " smooth " it out .
The real question is can the Boss finish out with the 8... its likely he can
I used to have a huge Be-Ge box scraper we pulled behind an 85D Cat challenger, it was awesome for finish work and dragging haul roads.
He just wants you to finish up faster! Seriously yes a smaller machine would be ideal. Tom
We get it to a stage with the dozer & rough it in first … Everything has it's place . I aint gonna waste fuel & undercarriage costs on a bigger dozer trying to finish if it can be done with something smaller on site . Hop on a tractor & box blade & let it do it's thing when needed . Kick back & enjoy the ride
I like your gauge wheels, must hold a grade well with those "little" wheels....
LOL ! We grabbed the wheels off an old grain dryer . HeavyEquipmentForums It works pretty good for fine grading . One of my favorite tools .
Repurpose every resource you can find... That's how I roll.
Well said RZ ! Never throw nothing away . Repurposing a 12 bolt Chevy rear end to drop under the Ford Galaxie 500 . 4.88 ratio for some street fun
I was gonna say "Chevy under a Ford?" But you got a GM part sucking it in... might as well have a GM part putting it out.
It's turning in to a joint venture between Ford & General Motors . About like the " king cutter " box blade & the " Tox - O - Wik " grain dryer gauge wheels .
It'll be kickin' stoplight to stoplight on a short block!
My answer to your original question would be ,yes it is wrong to expect a perfect clean finish grade with a D-8 of any kind. But, you should be able to cut a finish grade and it should be be decent looking. Is the blade set up with a laser guidance system of any kind ? DRY sand of any kind is a real bitc* to finish grade. Very time consuming with a D-8 class machine.