Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer for skid CTL? Need help.

nedly05 ยท 2012-07-10 05:02

I have a chance to trade our 1990 450G for a 2006 cat 247B. I had my mind pretty well made up, but last night a friend said he felt I would regret it if I let the dozer go. In the last 10 years we might have put 200 hours on the dozer, and I know we would use the 247 nearly every day. I feel like the 247 is much more versatile and having the ability to run numerous attachments would be huge. Help me out here, am I nuts or is this a good idea? Thanks!:drinkup

Replies14
  1. #1dirty4fun2012-07-10 06:01

    You might miss the dozer but not much, if you are only using it 20 hours a year. I have had a skidsteer for a long time, and they can just do so many things that not having one would be tough. If you get a job you really need a dozer for rent one. I am betting for what little you used the dozer, you can find a way to do the job with the skidsteer and the other equipment you have. Does the skidsteer have a two speed? Being able to go twice as fast with a push of a button when traveling is a real plus. Just my .02.

  2. #2stumpjumper832012-07-10 06:20

    If your only using the dozer 20 hrs a year then its time for the dozer to go. I just let my 450c trackloader go, was putting maybe 30 a year on it. In its place I picked up a gehl ctl 70, or takeuchi tl140, they are 10k pounds and 80hp. I've put about 30 hours on it this month backfilling and grading around a new house, I thik it was a wise move. I would not consider the ctl a direct replacement for my 550g though, they both can fine grade, and for some things its faster to use the ctl cause it can carry dirt to fill a hole, but the 550 can burry the ctl in heavier work, and the ctl isnt as nice when finishing a slope, at times it wants to slide as soon as the bucket touches something. My concern is the cat having enough lift and breakout, does it have highflow, 2 speed, or a cab? Any attachments come with? Do you already hve a wheeled skid? Also do you have another dozer? I'd have let the 550g go for the ctl if I'd have had a winched 700 or 750 as well as the 550, I just can't live without the foresty dozer for some of my work.

  3. #3Deere 3172012-07-10 11:45

    Comparing the versatility of the dozer to the CTL you will see a lot more uses in the CTL plus having a compact foot print will allow you to get into places the dozer couldn't go. I have a Deere skid steer and absolutely love the versatility of it. Its small but strong and has the power that cant be matched on a compact tractor. If you see that many uses before you get the CTL imagine what you can do once you have it. Just my 2 cents.

  4. #4Colorado Digger2012-07-10 12:45

    nedly, just keep in mind when you have a dump site and need the dozer to push it off. no skid steer will keep up with a dozer for keeping up with tandems that are dumping. how many skid steers do you have at the moment? for me it may be different. i have 3 skiddies plus the dozer and loader. a 247 is a smaller machine i believe. if you will go from never using the dozer to using the 247 every day then you need to think of it as a step up. the other thing is if it is an even trade. i am sure you will make the right decision. regards,cd

  5. #5dirthog282012-07-10 18:39

    I agree with what every body else is telling you, a ctl is just so handy you can do just about anything with them, they're just like a smaller version of a highlift which you can do just about anything load, grade, carry material. Not trying to create a brand battle, but I would be concerned with the undercarriage system that's on the 247, the only positive I see with it is snow removal. I own a takeuchi and if I had only one machine it would be a ctl.

  6. #6jrtraderny2012-07-10 19:25

    OK, my 2 cents. I've owned a 247B and currently own a 247B2. If the 247B still has the old style drive system I'd steer clear of it, the outboard bearing setup is a nightmare. Keep in mind that these machines are standard flow only so high flow attachments are a no no. Also the c2.2 engine is prone to head gasket failure. My first 247B had a major engine failure around 700 hrs. , I traded it on a brand new 247B2 that currently has around 500 hrs. on it. My last 2 oil samples show positive for coolant in the oil. Don't get me wrong, I'm CAT yellow to the bone but there has to be a reason why CAT quit using the c2.2 in the 257B and went to the C3.4. That part aside you will never find a more versatile piece of equipment I think I have more invested in attachments than I do in the machine itself. You will be able to work when you really shouldn't be working. Worksite damage is held to a minimum and you can go places you never thought you could. Be prepared to spend your income for the next 5 years on attachments to make your life easy. The undercarriage is tougher than most think but sharp rock will destroy it in a heartbeat. Just my observations from owning 2 of them. jr

  7. #7nedly052012-07-10 20:43

    Well I opted not to go for it, for several reasons. I'd really like one a little bigger and though there's a lot I like about the asv undercarriage it seems fragile and exspensive to repair. It wasn't quite an even trade, I was going to give 5 grand too. I liked that as it wasn't going to have a payment, but it's 6 years old with 1800 hrs, and from what I've read the 247 seems to be a troubled machine. Maybe a newer machine is worth looking at. I'm not giving up on this though, as I know a CTL would be a great addition to the fleet.

  8. #8jrtraderny2012-07-10 20:53

    Whatever you end up getting make sure it has hydraulic pilot controls, the electric over hydraulic just doesn't have the same feel. jr

  9. #9KSSS2012-07-10 22:22

    The Alpha series CASE machine I believe do mimic the feel of pilots. I believe its the best EH control system on the market. Nedly05 I think you made the right decision. If you want a machine that can do "some" of what the larger machine can do and still be manuverable enough for other tasks, I would find a larger machine. Some where in the TK 140, BC T250, Case 440CT range. The 247 is real small, underpowered for heavier work and uses the MTL track system which is sensitive to abusive conditions. I would keep looking for a more capable CTL.

  10. #10stumpjumper832012-07-10 22:49

    Yeah you made the right call, ctl's are handy, but not at a 5k & a good running dozer handy.

  11. #11nedly052012-07-11 05:01

    The salesman we do a lot of dealing with sells kubota and mustang skids. The Kubotas are nice, but they are out of my price range at this time. He has a MTL 16 and MTL 20 he's going to check on and get ahold of me today. From what I understand the mustangs are just a rebadged tak? Is that correct? Thanks for all of the input, as always you guys are great!

  12. #12stumpjumper832012-07-11 06:53

    both mustang and gehl are rebadged taks. If your carefull you can pick up a gehl ctl 70 or a mustang mtl20 for 20k with 1,000 - 1,500 hrs, they are a repainted tak tl140, a ctl75 & mtl320 are the 240 tk.

  13. #13nedly052012-07-11 17:58

    Anyone have any insight on a mustang mtl316? Salesman thinks he may have a nice one owner one coming in.

  14. #14dirtmonkey2012-07-12 07:54

    I believe it's the same as the Gehl Ctl 60. If it is it's a very tough and reliable tractor. I have the first gen of Gehl CTLs and the only complaint is the after market AC. Other than that no major repairs or components , other than tracks. Have replaced AC comp, a few relays, alt and belts. I have apprx 4000 hours since new. Maintain it properly and use common sense when running it and you can do ALOT of work with it. The 2speed is nice but don't work in high, use for travel only. Don't try to dig with it in high. All that said I love mine and can not live with out it.